JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a back pack a while back to make into a BUG out/GO bag but im not sure what i should put in it... what are some suggestions...i do have a gun for my bag though thats about it.. lol so far iv come up with, but do not have is:

Compass (was thinking of tossing in a GPS?)
Some Rope.
some kinda water filtration device
Fire starter
Blanket
something to make a tent out of
Perhaps CB radio or walki talky
Flashlight
Spare batteries
Zip lock bags

all this stuff i listed i dont have its just stuff iv thought of... if you have any of those things and they work good for you please let me know!

Two boxes of Twinkies - They last for decades.

Go see the Ultralight discussion that had a lot of items in it.
Also there was another discussion on what should be in your pack.
Think Water , Food, Shelter, Protection, and Navigation

Poncho
Poncho Liner
Emergency Blanket (x3)
Single Man Tent
Rope
Fixed Bladed Glock Knife
Leatherman Wave
E-Tool
Canteen (x2)
Canteen Cup
Military M2 Compass
Individual First aid Kit, Small (two field dressings, one triangle dressing)
Bone Saw
Wire Saw
Matches in Waterproof Container
Schrade Fix Blade Knife
Kershaw Folding Knife
Bic Lighter (x3)
Flint x/steel striker
Bug Spray
Sunscreen
Trash Bags (x3)
550 Cord (approx 500')
Guerrilla Tape
Electrical Tape
Socks w/foot power inside (x3 pair in waterproof bag)
T-Shirt (x2 in waterproof bag)
Military Issue Desert BDU Uniform (in waterproof bag)
Emergency Ration Bar (2200 Calorie food bar)
Iodine Tablets
Berkey Sportsbottle water filter
Fishing Line w/hooks, weights and lures
Misc Compass
Map of surrounding area and destination area
Whistle
Signal Mirror
Swiss Army Knife
Pocket print of the US Constitution
Headlamp
Flashlight
Spare Batteries

That's all I can think of for now...I know there is more in there.

Type: USGI MOLLE 2
Weight: Unknown
Inventory List:

• Folding Stove (1)
  • Sterno Fuel (1)
  • Solid Fuel (Box) (1)
  • Magnesium Fire Starter (1)
  • Matches (Water Proof)
  • First Aid Kit (Slightly Used)
  • Emergency Blanket (1)
  • Water Purification Tablets (Old)
  • Fleece Blanket
  • Headlamp
  • Flash light
  • Batteries (AAA) (3)
  • Playing Cards
  • Fingernail Clippers (Big)
  • Knife Sharpener (Yellow)
  • Chap-stick (New) (1)
  • Red Electricians Tape (1)
  • Hand Sanitizer (4 oz)
  • Compass (Standard)
  • Compass (Survival Tool - Yellow)
  • Kitchen bag (Sponge, Towel, Grater, etc)
  • Towel (1)
  • Mess Kit (“Light My Fire”)
  • Fishing Tackle
  • Sunburn Cream (2oz)
  • Knife + Hatchet
  • Machete (Large) (1)
  • Machete (Small) (1)
  • Folding Shovel (Gerber)
  • Emergency Radio (Solar/Hand Crank)
  • Utility Belt (1)
  • Bug spray (1 oz)
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Bed Roll
  • Canteen
  • Water Bottle (Filtration)
  • M.R.E. (4)
  • Para-cord (50 ft)
  • Laundry Rope
  • Pants (Camo) (2)
  • Gloves (Leather)
  • Toilet Paper (3)
  • Buckle Strap 6 ft (2)
  • Dry box (1)

Get Home Bag:

Maxpedition Sitka
Water bottle and purifier tablets
24hr food bar
flashlight (2)
small am fm radio
extra batteries for above
Swiss Army Knife
Leatherman Tool
folding knife
packable rain gear
cap
bandana
compass
hand sanitizer
fire starter kit
med/trauma kit
reading glasses
10x42 monocular
pepper spray
spare ammo for ccw
cash (bills and coins)

Not really a bugout bag. It is designed to get me home if I have to go on foot. Our bugout bags are really just packs set up for a week of backpacking.

I am curious - For the people doing BO Bags:
1. Are most of you single or at worse case with a significant other?
2. Are any families with children? Dog? (I assume BOB means - not setting up fort at home)

Reason - I have seen many post - Most seem to be trying to do survival for one.
When you have 2 people - dynamics change alot and choices change - You have two people to haul shared gear

But then I am curious how many are families with lets say 2 kids and a dog.
Curious on if you change your approach.
Or are BOB experts primarily single - Not trying to enflame anything just curious on the population distribution

...Are any families with children? Dog? (I assume BOB means - not setting up fort at home)

I can't think of any realistic/likely situation where it would make sense for us to leave our home. But we are prepared if necessary. Packs, several plastic bins of supplies, and fuel would be loaded into a vehicle along with wife, kid, and 2 dogs. In reality though, if a significant event were to occur my wife would likely head to work (hospital) immediately, and the kid and I would both make our way home if we were not there already.

Thank you - I was curious
Similar we would attempt to stay at home and have the ability to move to a better situation
Similar to the Training we got back in the 50's when we were worried by dropping nuclear bombs on each other.
So the real issue in Portland Area - is if you are on one side of the river and they are on the other side and getting across is a big issue.

I always think in terms of Food, Water, Shelter, Navigation, and Protection.
I have added to my list some fishing gear

So the real issue in Portland Area - is if you are on one side of the river and they are on the other side and getting across is a big issue...

I am persistent in telling them to fuel their vehicles when they get down to half a tank (usually when I find them close to empty). Having enough fuel to drive to Salem, or to Longview, or to wherever is needed to be able to cross the river, is prudent. It just makes sense to keep gas tanks filled anyway.

2. Are any families with children? Dog? (I assume BOB means - not setting up fort at home)

When you have 2 people - dynamics change alot and choices change - You have two people to haul shared gear

Or are BOB experts primarily single - Not trying to enflame anything just curious on the population distribution

wife and two kids, one is 8 and one is 8 months...i have found that not much changes...the baby is on the boob and my 8 year old is trail rated, carries her own bag and shares the load. it helps that i prioritized my hobbies a while back and invested A LOT of money in quality ultralight backpacking gear...

Thank you - I was curious
Similar we would attempt to stay at home and have the ability to move to a better situation
Similar to the Training we got back in the 50's when we were worried by dropping nuclear bombs on each other.
So the real issue in Portland Area - is if you are on one side of the river and they are on the other side and getting across is a big issue.

I always think in terms of Food, Water, Shelter, Navigation, and Protection.
I have added to my list some fishing gear

i have thought about this alot as am am in this exact position...i have come to terms with the fact that i may have to commandeer a boat and then walk home...i will still be able to sleep at night, and would probably even leave a "thank you" note on board... :D

I have a total of four bags setup, including mine. It's defiantly more difficult to do this for more than one person and trying to explain to my kids why and what they are for was interesting to say the least. Opened up a huge conversation and lots of questions.

-Waterproof hunting pants and jacket
-T shirt, underwear, wool socks
-MRE's
-Couple tins of smoked oysters
-Pint of gin (entertainment purposes or trade)
-Water
-First aid kit
-Fixed blade knife
-Multi tool
-550 cord
-Small sewing kit
-Toilet paper
-Signla mirror
-Solar blanket
-10x12 tarp (for making a shelter or other purposes)
-Ammo
-Hi power in 9mm
-Waterproof container with fire starting stuff (waterproof matches, magnesum starter, lighter)
-Water purification tablets
-Small water filter
-Small military can opener
-Small fishing kit in a tin
-Small gun cleaning kit
-A few small bills and some loose change
-Small lightweight cooking kit
-Condoms

Nope, not just a single person. I have go-bags for extended family. The thing is, it varies a little bit. From different households we try to make sure that there is at least one radio per group, for example. We plan in order of decrasing likelihood. First is always shelter in place. Next is bugout vehicle to pre-arranged location, last is bug out on foot, to get away from an immediate danger, still with a destination in mind. If we get to a destination with only what we can carry and it isn't possible to stay there, we'll adjust then and there: not much point in planning for that as there can't be much planning done for "go somewhere" other than having a light enough bag to carry with minimum essentials to feed, protect, and shelter ourselves. At that juncture we'd target a new destination and plan, and adjust as well as possible.

Fixed Bladed Glock Knife
Leatherman Wave
E-Tool
Bone Saw
Wire Saw
Schrade Fix Blade Knife
Kershaw Folding Knife
Swiss Army Knife

That's all I can think of for now...I know there is more in there.

got enough knives? i understand it is good to have a back up...but i would consider a multi-tool and a fixed blade knife sufficient.

got enough knives? i understand it is good to have a back up...but i would consider a multi-tool and a fixed blade knife sufficient.

Enough knives? No...one is for cutting wood, another for skinning game, another for widdeling and fine cutting, knife on the multi-tool is just negligable, I also have to think about my wife needing a knife.

I do have a Mora Frost FS2000 I made into a neck knife...that is another bag I take to work with me so I can get home. It's wrapped with 550 cord, has a ferrocium rod attached with a small compass- it's basically a mini survival kit on your neck!

Just to add, I have used a lot of knives in my day...some break, some you lose. Why risk it? One is none, two is one.

Oh, and I forgot that I also have a few knife sharpeners in my kit as well.

Just remember, if you stash anything with batteries inserted the batteries will be dead and the battery terminals corroded. Best to store them separate.

Also, it's a good idea to rotate the food items (even the twinkies) so they aren't spoiled when you finally need them.

A hand-cranked flashlight and radio are good ideas. I have a flashlight that will run about 30 minutes after 1 minute of charging by cranking. Also saw a radio that had hand crank charger as well as solar charging, and it could recharge cell phones as well as other devices that used USB charging adapters. Less than $100. That assumes of course there will be any radio stations on the air or Cell Phone Towers working when you need to "bug out".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top