JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am curious - For the people doing BO Bags:
1. Are most of you single or at worse case with a significant other?
2. Are any families with children? Dog? (I assume BOB means - not setting up fort at home)

Reason - I have seen many post - Most seem to be trying to do survival for one.
When you have 2 people - dynamics change alot and choices change - You have two people to haul shared gear

But then I am curious how many are families with lets say 2 kids and a dog.
Curious on if you change your approach.
Or are BOB experts primarily single - Not trying to enflame anything just curious on the population distribution

Sadie...while my sons are grown now...I always kept a large duffel bag and a steel trunk in a garden shed and drilled my sons on what to do if a earthquake or other disaster occurred while I was at work ( I was a RN). I had to prepare my sons to be able to "camp out" by themselves in our large back yard with a wooded area. I did have to check monthly that those boys or their friends didn't raid the BOB and trunk cause they were too lazy to go pack their own backpacks.

I figured worse case scenario...I would not be able to get home from hospital due to ethics, and IF I could leave, I would not be able to get home easily since I must drive or walk 10 miles over flood plain and drawbridges or find a way to get to a hiway access that would be safely away from the flood plains. The rule was IF earthquake occurred and our home damaged...they get to the supplies stored in garden shed. Even if that was flattened...they would be able to lift the small walls and roof without too much risk to get to supplies. I had tent, sleeping bags, stoves, fuel, rain shelter and anything else they might need to take care of themselves if Mom or grandparents were unable to get to them.

Now days I keep a small BOB and 1st responder first aid bag in fast access to grab if an earthquake starts. I learned after the 08 earthquake...not a good idea to keep those bags in a closet...so they sit in area I can grab as I am running outside front door. I keep another tub of supplies outside with additional items as well as in garage. (Figure if earthquake hit I might not be able to get into garage or car in the garage). I keep a box of supplies and first aid in my trunk in case I am not home or I need to evac ASAP. I have a small first aid kit in my purse even!

All of my BOB are with the goal of being able to stay dry and warm and safe until able to get from point A (home) to point B parents cabin 30 miles away at a secure location where we have well water, wood, shelter, generator, and enough food to take care of our family without having to deal with supply and demand issues during or after a major event.

I am prepared to take care of my adult children and their families at home for at least 3 months comfortably as well as a year at a safer location should it be necessary to hunker down in a family group for a long period of time.

I had a much different approach to BOB and emergency storage plans when I lived in Texas depending on whether I lived in tornado and blizzard area or in hurricane areas. Up here in Pacific NW it is most important to deal with hypothermia issues and earthquakes and flooding. All you can do in a tornado situation is have a storm cellar stocked and ready to live out of if your house is gone and watch the weather and go to ground. In hurricane areas...get the **** out if you can or be prepared to go thru what New Orleans did. Long term stockpiling of food in hurricanes only works if you can keep it from floating away. At least hurricanes have warning and days to prepare.

I used to work at hospitals closest to Pantex (where they assembled all nuclear weapons). Imagine growing up and having a bomb proof tornado shelter as your ultimate bug out shelter as well as coolest place to sleep during 110 degree days. LOL! Could be why I am the way I am about being prepared.

my pac is empty, but the car is loaded.

i have just about everything i could need in the drawers in my truck. im usually with my truck all the time, and therefore ill have my stuff. i have a pack empty (it just store better empty) in there if i need to pack up and go on foot.

i have:
tarps
rope
food
water
stove
changes of clothes
lots of warm socks
baby wipes and daiper
FA kit
sm catalytic heater
multitools
bug spray
cheap sleeping bag
dog food
stakes(for steeing up tarps.)
pack
maps
maglight
headlamp
fire starters

all this rides wiht em all the time and cant see much in the windows.

This is a great way to expose kids to basic survival ideas and just in general - what if something bad happens - do they know how to respond, where to go(pre-arranged meeting location), Who to call out of the area. Like I said – Back in the 50's we had the nuclear bomb drills - But then we had the Titan missle's that circled our town.

Dead Shot - Agree - Just remember, if you stash anything with batteries inserted the batteries will be dead and the battery terminals corroded. Best to store them separate. Or use an insulated piece of paper like they do with products that come with batteries. I think I would also standardize on Batteries – vs needing AAA, AA D.

I would add a hand crank radio in the mix

Jim - Agree - "The question is "where are you going to bug out to?". When you answer the question then you can figure out what you need." That was one point I was trying to address - a family of four with small kids may not find the hills a very good place to be. Maybe a realtive or friend you can go to ( Lets say 1-2 hours away where you can bring supplies. So your comment is correct - YOUR plan is where you wiill go and Why.

Wife and I have identical bags:

Bandanna's - RED ONLY
Glasses
Hat
Socks (vacuum sealed)
T-shirt (vacuum sealed)
Underwear (vacuum sealed)
List of emergency POC's
Notepad
Photo copy of medical card, passport, drivers lic, insurance policies
Radio
Stubby pencil
Bic or zippo lighter
Matches
Can opener
Collapsible food bowel for dogs
Dish soap
Eating utensils (knife, fork, spoon)
Gatorade packets for water
MRE's
Power bars
Sponge
Water
Water container/bottle
Water filter & spare cartridge
Water purification tablets
Ziploc bags
Chap-stick
Dental floss
Feminine supplies
Hand sanitizer
Soap
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Wet wipes
36 hr candle
Batteries
LED flashlight
Light sticks 6x
20lb fishing line
Benadryl
Clean towels
Dusk mask
First aid kit
Gel ice packs
Immodium AD
Neosporin
Pepcid AC
Safety pins
TP in plastic bags
Cash-sm dollars
Change taped to lid
Disaster plan, rallying points
Sharpie pens
Stick-it notes
Survival bag contents list
.22 500 rds brick
.22 automatic pistol
.22 holster
.22 magazines (3x)
9mm
9mm 50 rds hollowpoints
9mm holster
9mm magazines (3x)
Flares
Whistle
550 cord (min. 50ft)
6x8 10 mil tarp
Blanket (vacuum sealed)
Duct tape
Poncho
Trash bags
Binoculars
Carabiners
Folding saw
Gloves (leather and Latex)
Knife sharpener
Nails
Plastic ties
Pliers
Pocket knife
Screw driver
Sewing kit w/needle
Single edge razor blades

FlyGuy
Probably the most realistic list

I use a hand crank radio
Does the dog eat MRE'? or something else
Had not thought of Sticky notes.
Might stick a small fishing kit in - at least some line, hooks, flies?

Our BOB bages that we carry in the cars for primarily for us when we are out.

Just inside our door we have three large packs with everything we need (including hand crank radios and lights) plus everything we need for our 4 dogs. We also keep our RV fully stocked....who knows if I can get it out of town (down overpasses and bridges), but if I can find a route I can pull my rig out and live in it. I also have a generator and always have multiple 5 gal jugs of gas, diesel that I rotate (that way it stays fresh).

I really wonder how much people think things out as to what they are doing. How does shtf start and how does it end in a persons mind. Where will you be and how will you get there? How will you get the wife and kids there? You build a bob for you and the wife but add kids to the equation and everything changes. How far can a kid walk in a day? Water,food for three kids, how much for your trip?

Just asking?

jj

I really wonder how much people think things out as to what they are doing. How does shtf start and how does it end in a persons mind.

In my mind there are two types of "shtf" situations (or whatever one wants to call it).

The first is a sudden, localized event. Where I live a severe earthquake is the most likely sudden event. Our goal is to get home if away at the time, secure the structure, and live as best we can under the conditions.

The other "shtf" is a prolonged event; the most likely in my opinion is an economic dislocation resulting in a significant percentage of the population panicking (in a variety of ways). I think we are already in the early stages of that, but have yet to see the "panic" part. Same goal if the panic portion occurs in a way that threatens us; get home if away, secure the structure, and live as best we can under the conditions.

So really, the goal is always the same. Don't know if that is what you meant, but being of the "get home" mindset rather than the bugout mindset that is my answer. All travel plans, whether near or far, are made with the above firmly in mind.

In my mind there are two types of "shtf" situations (or whatever one wants to call it).

The first is a sudden, localized event. Where I live a severe earthquake is the most likely sudden event. Our goal is to get home if away at the time, secure the structure, and live as best we can under the conditions.

The other "shtf" is a prolonged event; the most likely in my opinion is an economic dislocation resulting in a significant percentage of the population panicking (in a variety of ways). I think we are already in the early stages of that, but have yet to see the "panic" part. Same goal if the panic portion occurs in a way that threatens us; get home if away, secure the structure, and live as best we can under the conditions.

So really, the goal is always the same. Don't know if that is what you meant, but being of the "get home" mindset rather than the bugout mindset that is my answer. All travel plans, whether near or far, are made with the above firmly in mind.

big +1 to the get home and maintain mindset...living in a house without electricity, city water, sewage, etc...is still far better than taking to the hills here in the PNW

big +1 to the get home and maintain mindset...living in a house without electricity, city water, sewage, etc...is still far better than taking to the hills here in the PNW

Even better if one has an RV/Travel Trailer parked in the yard.

Has anyone noticed the increase in Home Invasions as well as daytime break-ins. In the event of an economic disaster be prepared for these to increase. May even escalate to the point of "fortified" neighborhoods to deal with the wandering bands. Just think "warm summer night in the hood" only hundreds of times worse.

I have noticed that while people are including first aid lits and trauma kits, it seems to me some of the basics are missing. What about ace bandages or wraps for sprains, strains or breaks? Wraps are small and easily packed! Concentrated doses of Vitamin C,Vitamin B or other types of immune system boosters, they come in packet form or pill and tablet. Same with Electrolyte boosters, a must need if you or your family is doing any walking for an extended period of time with a full load out of gear,or stuck at home for days/weeks.
Grape fruit seed extract is something I carry in my BOB and in my truck , only a few drops in water kills bacteria and it stops vomiting and diarrhea within an hour, its a small bottle and easy to carry! Makes it a must have in my gear.

I hate playing the WHAT IF game, but in my HUMBLE opinion it makes sense to be prepared for ANY scenario that might/could/possibly happen.It sure beats getting caught with your pants down around your ankles and your padinkadanker hanging out with nothing and no plans of what to do!

JAckfrost
My first aid kit includes ace bandages, and a variety of items not specifically mentioned.

As far as concentrated doses of vitamins, etc - up to individual.
Never seemed to do me much good in good times. Except I do have some electrolyte solutions for drinking that I use backpacking - But again it is added weight and volume.

For some reason I do not see lots of familes treking for days in a wilderness.

I do not anticipate anybody trekking in any "wilderness" but if you expect you or any member of your family to walk more than several miles with gear, it is foolish
not to expect feet or ankle problems!

Just sayin.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top