JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you ever detour during the day to plink?

I got some new ammo recently….
Just thought I was so close to my club around a long lunch. So I'll bring a couple.

I'm very proud of the $200 Ruger I tuned into a $500 Ruger or their abouts. Barrels are everything, this was a budget Shaw. A 3-8 power Sig to see the holes at 50yrds. And BX trigger is noticeable.
My cheapest .22 is the fantastical Phoenix HP22A with 2 barrel lengths. Shoots accurately from both…..3 & 5"
Safe shooting everyone…

799B02AC-637B-4F5E-AE4C-16D124194316.jpeg 5208CCF7-D3BD-4925-9B4A-7CACBBC0AFDA.jpeg

I turned a $369 Ruger into a $1500 Ruger.
<-- There's a picture of it. I don't pack it around to shoot at lunch time, but it's one of my most favorite guns.

Detours are wonderful. Dad would take a detour and call it a "short cut", which it clearly wasn't, but it was fun.
Shooting at lunch time on a work day has to be a great way to relax. It's a good idea.
I may just have to try that sometime soon.

Any day or time you can take some time to plink a 22 is a good time.

Yes, not so much of a detour though. We maintain an outdoor range for the local PD that we use when we want. Plus, we need to "get the ducks and geese" moving as well off of our lagoons. Disclaimer, we don't "harass" the animals as that would be against the law. But, there has been days in my career that I did not much more than drive around the lagoons firing a 12ga every so often.

CZ 452 with a polished sear, lightened trigger spring and torqued stock screws. What a relaxing gun to shoot. I can usually do 10 shot groups at 1¼" at 100 yards with regular old American Eagle 38 grain.

S&W 22A with polished sear and upgraded grips. This is a remarkably accurate gun for the money. A sub - $300 gun with less than $50 in improvements.

Yes, not so much of a detour though. We maintain an outdoor range for the local PD that we use when we want. Plus, we need to "get the ducks and geese" moving as well off of our lagoons. Disclaimer, we don't "harass" the animals as that would be against the law. But, there has been days in my career that I did not much more than drive around the lagoons firing a 12ga every so often.
I want that job! Free range time. Sometimes, I can count at least 6 different days, during a hot range with folks firing; deer walk across between the 50-100 yard berms. Really like 5-15 shooters going…..(cease fire) paint ball gun comes out of RSOs' office to shoo them off.

Be careful with the Phoenix with reassembly. I've repaired several that only needed a new recoil spring as they can be bent/kinked easily.
I've already installed the M CARBO package long way back. I've done some sand and polish to barrel release plate. I've put some time in this thing to run right. I kinda expected it buying. I disabled the mag release safety as well. Think it had 3 safety's in it after the key locking magwell lock.
Do you still shoot them? The ribbed barrel is what caught my eye in store.

CZ 452 with a polished sear, lightened trigger spring and torqued stock screws. What a relaxing gun to shoot. I can usually do 10 shot groups at 1¼" at 100 yards with regular old American Eagle 38 grain.

S&W 22A with polished sear and upgraded grips. This is a remarkably accurate gun for the money. A sub - $300 gun with less than $50 in improvements.
On the list…. An accurate pistol.22lr some day. What are those round cylinder types Ruger Mark something's? I'll have to look at CZ now.

Well…….
Range day kinda cut short. Lunch cut short. But for good reason. Had to do a pickup…. Glad I was working locally today. Still got range time after punching out…. I still shot before heading to kidsz bus stop.
CCI blazer .22lr…through phoenix
Norma Tac-22..ruger 10/22
Norma Match .22
SK semi auto match stuff I'm trying.
But the show was stolen and shot 100rnds of this….

6.5 day turnaround on my latest misfit…
HiPoint was released to me. JXP 10mm
It's big…Sig 365 for comparison…. But I think I'll post initial Range report in (What did you buy today thread)

D1340B7F-7820-4B3C-84D8-DF9538CC5A0C.jpeg

On the list…. An accurate pistol.22lr some day. What are those round cylinder types Ruger Mark something's? I'll have to look at CZ now.
Do you mean the Ruger Mark IV? They're a good gun. I've shot one but haven't owned one. They go for about $500 right now.

Ruber Mark IV
RUG40126_2_HR.jpg

The S&W 22A is no longer in production, but its replacement, the Victory, is a very accurate gun and better in a lot of ways.

Smith & Wesson Victory
OIP.jpg

It goes for about $400 and is well worth it in my mind. Since folks seem to be asking $300 to $350 for used 22A's these days, I'd probably spend the extra few bucks to get the Victory.

Smith & Wesson 22A
OIP.jpg

Do you mean the Ruger Mark IV? They're a good gun. I've shot one but haven't owned one. They go for about $500 right now.

Ruber Mark IV
View attachment 1359283

The S&W 22A is no longer in production, but its replacement, the Victory, is a very accurate gun and better in a lot of ways.

Smith & Wesson Victory
View attachment 1359284

It goes for about $400 and is well worth it in my mind. Since folks seem to be asking $300 to $350 for used 22A's these days, I'd probably spend the extra few bucks to get the Victory.

Smith & Wesson 22A
View attachment 1359285
That's exactly what I'm thinking of….SW looks cool.

Ruber Mark IV
View attachment 1359283
I think very highly of Ruger Standard/Mark model pistols. I have 2, owned 3 and everyone was accurate and reliable.

Pair of em 2.jpg
The one on the right has been in the family longer than I have and I'm 60. It's the first handgun I ever shot and I grew up with it. The one on the left is "Just Because".
But today was different. Almost as spontaneous as the OP's and included my AR pistol. I shot more today than I have for months. It was very satisfying hearing the gong ring consistently off hand. (16" gong, 96 yards)

Last Edited:
In the summertime...
I do so fairly often.
Love shooting my .22 firearms.
Left over clay bird bits...spent shotgun shells...the small odd colored rock or old dead leaf...
All make for fun shooting.
Bring my fire box...as well as some lunch and coffee...it's a great day.

However...
During the school year...not so much.
Bringing a firearm onto school grounds is something that even me as a Dean...ain't allowed to do.
So...no lunchtime shooting for me.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top