Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whats earmuffs do you use?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by wade11a, Feb 8, 2010.

1. wade11a

wade11a oregon Member

I shoot a lot and my job is in a very noisy environment. So when I go shooting I am looking to preserve what hearing I have left. I wear shooting glasses and custom molded earplugs. My question is what earmuffs would allow me to wear my earplugs, safety glasses and still be able to shoot a rifle/shotgun without interfering with the stock? I am looking at the Howard Leight Leightning LOF ear muffs. Has anyone used these? I am looking for some opinions here. Thanks for the information.:thumbup:

2. kito109654

kito109654 Everett, WA Member

I have those and my shooting style does not allow me to use them with my carbine except when in prone. We all shoot differently though. :)

3. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Disposable earplugs with a 30dB rating and Howard Leight slim muffs.
    I double up...hearing is something that you dont get back once it's gone.
    Some of the active-cancellation systems are nice but I haven't found a pair that I like yet.
    J

4. wade11a

wade11a oregon Member

I hear ya about the noise cancellation muffs. I have some really nice form fitted ear plugs, but I am looking for some ear muffs to fit over them that will accommodate shooting glasses and still allow me to shoot a rifle with out getting in the way. Like you said hearing is something you can't get back!! I think that the biggest challenge for me is going to be finding some ear muffs that will let me shoot a long gun and not interfere.

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I use the All Ears custom molded ear plugs from the supporting vendor on this forum. They are great! I couple them with muffs when I'm working Hunter Sight-In days at my range and even ported Magnums don't hurt my ears when I'm right by the shooter's bench!

6. wade11a

wade11a oregon Member

What kind of ear muffs do you use?

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Actually just some cheap muffs I got. I think they are Silencio brand. I wasn't really concerned about getting really expensive muffs as they are my second line of defense if you will. Most of the time I just wear the custom molded ear plugs.

8. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Heres what I use WITH earplugs:
    http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/23

9. wade11a

wade11a oregon Member

10. wade11a

wade11a oregon Member

That is what my plan is also. Just trying to find the right pair of ear muffs.

11. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I wear the same earmuffs, they're fairly slim so they don't interfere when shooting rifles.