JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What’s least expensive?

• Total voters
Reactions
Would it be cheaper to buy a Remington action alone with bolt.

Or buy a whole rifle?

Im thinking of putting together something different.

Well that would depend on which option costs more! And if you could sell any part of the rifle you did not use.

I'm building a .35 Whelen on a Savage model 111 Trophy Hunter and the only thing I will be using is the Receiver, Bolt, Trigger, and Magazine. I think I even need to get new bottom metal.

I'll offer the stock and Barrel for sale at a stupid cheap price but not holding my breath.

I think it would depend on what you want to do.

I once put together a M24 clone , starting with just a Remington barreled action...and built the rest of the rifle as Johnny Cash , once sang : "One piece at a time..." :D

That worked out well....unlike the car in Johnny's song...:D
Andy

Is there a market for the rest of the rifle bits?

When I did my 700 build 3-4 years ago, I found it to be cheaper to buy a Bi-Mart 700 ADL scoped combo when they were on sale and use it as a donor rifle. I sold off the extra parts for dirt cheap.

I looked at 700 actions that Brownells was selling at the time. They were more expensive than the complete rifle from Bi-Mart.

Now, I would think the bigger issue would be finding one with the demise of Remington.

-E-

When I did my 700 build 3-4 years ago, I found it to be cheaper to buy a Bi-Mart 700 ADL scoped combo when they were on sale and use it as a donor rifle. I sold off the extra parts for dirt cheap.

I looked at 700 actions that Brownells was selling at the time. They were more expensive than the complete rifle from Bi-Mart.

Now, I would think the bigger issue would be finding one with the demise of Remington.

-E-
I have heard them going for a little as $300 for the whole thing.

My timing sucks as per usual.

I think I'll keep this route in the back of my head. If I see a dirt cheap 700 in the shelf somewhere!

Doesn't Bergara utilize a 700 action? That seems like a great starting point over what Remington is pooting out these days.
I've got no clue. I don't know much about their rifles. What's the going rate for one?

Thinking of a SBR using this thing, and a 8" 300 black barrel or maybe short barrel 338 specter or 350 legend. Need to get a second use out of an overbuilt form 1 suppressor. Got a Q plan b adapter for it so it opened a door to using it on more than just one.

20200612175654-01.jpg

Probably a toss-up between buying a used donor rifle or a new action (if you can find one).
Selling off the old stock and barrel might bring a few coins if you have the time.
A custom M700 cloned action is $900 on the low end for comparison.

Here are some of the last M700 actions left on the market currently...
You'll have to toggle through and see which ones are actually still in stock.

Also, RedHawkRifles is a good place to buy other bolt rifle parts in regards to getting lower prices than the other guys for the same stuff.

Thinking of a SBR using this thing, and a 8" 300 black barrel or maybe short barrel 338 specter or 350 legend. Need to get a second use out of an overbuilt form 1 suppressor. Got a Q plan b adapter for it so it opened a door to using it on more than just one.

View attachment 801815
My GF would approve, I'm sure! looking forward to seeing what you put together!

The market for used 700s is through the roof right now. The most recently produced products are fairly suspect. A custom rifle maker I know strongly discourages using recently produced 700 actions. I saw a used mountain rifle, normally a $650 to $750 gun, go for $1800 on auction.

I would hit up pawn shops that might not know the market and try to get something. But, you won't get much for the parts you don't need unless they are in great shape. Stocks and bottom metal being the most valuable. There might be $250 to gain there.

With Remington being what it is. And Covid gunpacolypse in full swing. This project is going on the back burner.

Keeps your eyes open for a pawn shop donor gun.
There are a few deals around still.

I'm working on turning a $400 270 ADL into a .280 Ackley Improved CDL.
I've always wanted a .280AI and now it's getting close to fruition.

What are you going for?

How much per hour is your GS asking to do the work? How much are you willing/going to do?

Then.....
Some things aren't readily available any more and/or could be had at a reasonable price or that I would/could afford. How much value are you placing on say....a hunting or target or whatever bolt rifle?

Rrrrright.....YOU and I....are different.

BUT FOR ME?

Well.....I don't hunt and have very little time (or the seeing ability) any more, for a target rifle. Yeah...I'm an old timer, hi-power, iron sight, target/competition, sort of shooter.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....another question.

How many rifles do you need?

LOL.....I was about to buy another M1A. I even told the seller, "I'll take it". Lucky for me (maybe or maybe not) he said that he had (only minutes earlier) sold it already.:s0092:

Yeah, I already have three. BUT, But, but......this one is slightly different.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads