JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering what others use for their bore/copper solvent. I'm not sure if I just have a TON of copper buildup, or if the Hoppes isn't working the way I think it should :s0131:

Anything better/faster at removing buildup?

There are so many "Remedies" out there, and other cleaners.

I used hoppe's for many years, starting back in the 60's. I had also used outers, but soon went back to hoppe's. I was given a free sample of Eezox several years back. I used it on a pistol that I had just finished cleaning with hoppes, and the rags came out FILTHY BLACK. I have since been a FIRM believer in Eezox, and have used it ever since.
Eezox does NOT attract dirt or lint like motor oils and transmission fluids do.
Once you try it, you WON'T use anything else.
A lot of cheaper products out there, and yes, you can make your own eds red for pennies on the dollar, but nothing works as good a Eezox.

P.S. I would Not recommend using a drill.

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

If you're cleaning auto pistol barrels, don't use anything. Use a stiff nylon brush, for 45 cal use a 48-50 cal brush. Clean around the chamber where the case mouth spaces off of, and you're good to go.

Have done many a test from a Ransom rest, and haven't seen any difference in performance.

I know this may be earth shattering to some, but don't subject the metal to anything it shouldn't.

I'm cleaning mostly bolt guns, my Savage 110 in .270 is what I'm most concerned about, if that makes a difference in your recommendations. I didn't realize there was more than one kind of Hoppes #9, so I picked up some #9 Copper Solvent from Sportsmans Warehouse in Silverdale today, I'll see how that does.

A little backstory on the .270: It was purchased for me by my parents as a first hunting rifle when I was 15. I cleaned it pretty religiously for the first couple years, but I shot it like some people shoot AR-15's now. That was back when a box of Winchester and Federal 130gr was about $9. I didn't know anything about "breaking in" a barrel, so I took it out and shot the living heck out of it. I didn't know anything about reloading then either, so I only saved about 1 out of every 3 boxes of brass. When I finally started reloading, I had 300 +/- empty cases. Then, when I was in the military, I would come home for a couple days leave and shoot 3-4 boxes through it, run a couple dry patches through it and throw it back in the gun cabinet for another 6 months to a year until I had leave again. This cycle repeated itself several times in the 8 1/2 years I was in, and up until a couple weeks ago, it was one of my more accurate rifles. So I've decided to try working on getting that copper I'm SURE is built up in the bore, and its been nearly 2 weeks of twice a day or so, punching the bore with Hoppes and then letting it sit before running dry patches through it and restarting the process. I'm still getting quite a bit of bluish-green stuff out of the bore and was just wondering if there was anything better.
Side note: I don't treat my rifles like that anymore, so before you spank me for being stupid, I've learned

i don't see anything wrong with how you treated the rifle, and it's obviously not suffered any... like wichaka said, i'd just jam a brush through there to get any loose crap and call it done.

what'd that copper ever do to you anyway?

i don't see anything wrong with how you treated the rifle, and it's obviously not suffered any... like wichaka said, i'd just jam a brush through there to get any loose crap and call it done.

what'd that copper ever do to you anyway?

Good point. But have you ever had something you just HAD to do? Thats what I feel like right now, I just HAVE to get rid of the copper! Yes, I am seeing a therapist (several, actually) for these types of conditions lol

Good point. But have you ever had something you just HAD to do? Thats what I feel like right now, I just HAVE to get rid of the copper! Yes, I am seeing a therapist (several, actually) for these types of conditions lol

i feel you. sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch.

the few, few times i've de-coppered, i used Blue Wonder, and it seemed to work pretty good. jelly up the bore and let sit for about a half hour, scrub out and repeat.

and some old-timers i used to shoot with many beers ago always SWORE by J-B Bore Scrubber, but i still have never used it to this day. i stopped cleaning any further than a quick scrub with a brush and swipe with a couple dry patches a few years ago, and tens of thousands of rounds later, i've never noticed an adverse effect.

I've tried 3 different types of bore/copper solvent with my 6.8mm AR...Hoppe's No. 9 bore solvent and copper cleaner, KG-12 Copper Remover, and Montana Extreme bore solvent and copper killer (liquid and paste). Equipment I used: Tipton carbon fiber one piece cleaning rod, nylon brushes, cotton flannel patches.

Hoppe's: Cleaned out powder residue, saw no signs of copper residue (blue/green tint on patches)

KG-12: Used Hoppe's solvent to clean with, and did see minor signs of copper residue.

Montana Extreme: Cleaned out both powder and copper residue. The best I've used so far.

After my last range trip I decided to run a test between Hoppe's and Montana Extreme to see which worked better. I first used the Hoppe's bore solvent and cleaned the **** out of it. Same as before, cleaned out the powder residue, but saw no signs of copper residue. Immediately after cleaning with Hoppe's, I recleaned the barrel with the Montana Extreme products. I cleaned out more powder residue that wasn't picked up using Hoppe's, and the copper killer kicked a$$...saw a lot of copper residue coming out on the patches.

I only use Montana Extreme now...but a word of warning, the bore solvent has a very, very strong odor. Just my :s0159:

I use a product called "Tetra" copper & lead remover.
I used it on an old 1944 Mossberg .22 military training rifle that had so much fouling inside the barrel, that you couldn't see any grooves or lands. Tried Hoppes, and that only removed the dust and loose crud. Swabbed in some of the Tetra, and you could hear it sizzle as it attacked the copper & lead.
After brushing and swabbing with about fifty patches, the bore looked like new.
You have to use this product with care. It is very caustic and I now use it with a separate set of cleaning tools.
I transferred some of this stuff onto a rag by accident, and then used that rag to wipe off a scope. It took off the flat black paint.

I use a product called "Tetra" copper & lead remover.
I used it on an old 1944 Mossberg .22 military training rifle that had so much fouling inside the barrel, that you couldn't see any grooves or lands. Tried Hoppes, and that only removed the dust and loose crud. Swabbed in some of the Tetra, and you could hear it sizzle as it attacked the copper & lead.
After brushing and swabbing with about fifty patches, the bore looked like new.
You have to use this product with care. It is very caustic and I now use it with a separate set of cleaning tools.
I transferred some of this stuff onto a rag by accident, and then used that rag to wipe off a scope. It took off the flat black paint.

Good lord man! What is that stuff? Battery acid? Obviously works, although I don't think my barrel is that bad. And if I heard my rifle barrel "sizzle" after swabbing it, I'd prolly crap myself lol

Thanks for all the suggestions, gents! Right now I'm using the Hoppes Copper Solvent, and even though it smells like chilled male cat urine, it seems to be doing the trick. I'm definitely going to look into all of your products though!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top