JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 weeks and never saw a dang old elk! I did chase a bull through 6-8 inches of snow for almost 4 hours. Never saw him. He finally lost me. Snowing like a son of a gun. He'd been shot, but not bad. I was able to find blood often enough to follow his tracks when he cut and mixed with other tracks. Looked like a slight graze shot. Never stumbled or ran & never laid down. Dammit.

I think that I was relieved when he lost me. I was soaked & getting cold from him taking me through the snow covered reprod. The only part of me that was dry and warm were my feet.

We covered a lot of ground and could never find where the elk were moving. The ares that we were in have always held elk. Nothing moving through. That's hunting.

Home and tired....only 51 weeks until next season!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture of the last one I shot.

Man! They sure are tasty. :D

images 111.jpg

When I was young, I hunted with some buddies (one was the postmaster) out of Sand Point. We were out in a pretty remote area when we came across a middle aged guy that was covered in blood, by himself and begging for help. He had a cow tag and shot a large animal, needed help handling it and getting it out. So, we went back to the site of the kill. Here laying dead (and dressed) on the ground was a genny mule. So we had a long talk with the guy, he was a Californian that had never hunted before, had driven to northern Idaho by himself.......the worst part was the poor mule even had shoes. My buddy (the postmaster) got angrier as time went. He tied the guys hands on a pole across his shoulders tied his gun on it with a sighn explaining what he had done. Then marched him several miles to a checkpoint where he was gathered by the Sheriff. It was a life changing event for me as a 14 year old. So DON'T BE THAT GUY............

2 weeks and never saw a dang old elk! I did chase a bull through 6-8 inches of snow for almost 4 hours. Never saw him. He finally lost me. Snowing like a son of a gun. He'd been shot, but not bad. I was able to find blood often enough to follow his tracks when he cut and mixed with other tracks. Looked like a slight graze shot. Never stumbled or ran & never laid down. Dammit.

I think that I was relieved when he lost me. I was soaked & getting cold from him taking me through the snow covered reprod. The only part of me that was dry and warm were my feet.

We covered a lot of ground and could never find where the elk were moving. The ares that we were in have always held elk. Nothing moving through. That's hunting.

Home and tired....only 51 weeks until next season!
Spoken like a true elk hunter. Nicely written.

That is a great question and the first thing I thought of! o_O
That is an issue of mine. In Europe we (are required) to use a dog to track wounded game. A revier owner has to have a "versitle" gun dog available for that exact situation. I hate a non clean kill, that is why I think archery hunting for big game should be illegal. Too many people that won't master there weapon and shoot at too long a distance. I have killed 2 deer with arrows in festering wounds during rifle season.

Yeah, heard it referred to as a Texas star shot as well. Have to see horns first, and those bastards are fast when they get spooked by gunfire...
I have always been amazed by how noisy they can be. In the rocky hillsides of the blue mountains, they sound like a heard of horses. I have also ridden right up to them on a horse...........

When I was young, I hunted with some buddies (one was the postmaster) out of Sand Point. We were out in a pretty remote area when we came across a middle aged guy that was covered in blood, by himself and begging for help. He had a cow tag and shot a large animal, needed help handling it and getting it out. So, we went back to the site of the kill. Here laying dead (and dressed) on the ground was a genny mule. So we had a long talk with the guy, he was a Californian that had never hunted before, had driven to northern Idaho by himself.......the worst part was the poor mule even had shoes. My buddy (the postmaster) got angrier as time went. He tied the guys hands on a pole across his shoulders tied his gun on it with a sighn explaining what he had done. Then marched him several miles to a checkpoint where he was gathered by the Sheriff. It was a life changing event for me as a 14 year old. So DON'T BE THAT GUY............

That's the funniest sh!t I've read in a long time. You had me in tears by the time I read "shoes"! Oh, My...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top