JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a little off topic, but when I was going thru AIT at Fort Lewis in '69 they removed the sights from our M-16's and sent us to a "Quick Kill" range. Seems there was too much aiming and too little shooting going on during ambushes in Viet Nam.

With my first 22, my granddad removed the dovetailed sights and gave me a gunny sack of cans and 10 boxes of 22 longs and told me to go back in the pasture and shoot.
It is amazing what you learn.
When he put my sights on.
I could not miss, but could shoot damned near as well without them.
Instinct is a good thing to learn.
Know where your rifle hits !

I personally prefer trijicon products although very expensive I don't like relying on batteries or electronics which can fail when it matters most. with the exception of aimpoints which are just incredible for battery life and durability and reliability ,

but it all comes down to this what is it being used for competition SHTF match or just target shooting

if your eyes are getting old just a good quality 3x9x40 will do . This is also good if you also have a hunting rifle with the same on it .

I would also suggest looking into a 1x4 or 1x6 the prices are coming down and there are some good options and some are battery powered but also have etched cross hairs should the batteries
die they work for CQ or long range get a cat tail and quick to magnify and back to 1x

EOtech without a magnifier is not going do of you much good outside 50yrds. Depends on price range of what you want to spend. redfield battlefields scope for about 150 to a 6k Swarovski scope.
An EOtech with magnifier is going to run about 850 all together.
HUH? Most people can see at least 100 yards ,so why would the eo Tech only be good for 50?
Heck I ain't quite blind but I can shoot out to 100 yards with open sites.

HUH? Most people can see at least 100 yards ,so why would the eo Tech only be good for 50?
Heck I ain't quite blind but I can shoot out to 100 yards with open sites.

So true. Just about anybody can hit a 10" target at 100 yards with an un-magnified holographic sight or iron sights with very little training. Some young people can do substantially better than that.

I have two different set ups on my AR rifles and a 3rd set up on the AR-Pistol. Form fits function, from what I can see.

1) Leupold: It's 1.5 - 5x magnification. Illuminated Reticle helps, but the second link is to the non-illuminated one. I can shoot about a 2-3inch diameter group around the center of the target at 100 yards with this set up and one full mag. I got into the 6-10 inch diameter group at 200 yards.

Illuminated. <broken link removed>
Non-Illuminated: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-5-5x20mm/

2) Trijicon ACOG This is the TASN 4x fixed magnification.

One of the things with the Trijicon colouring system (Amber, Red, Green) is that for my eyes, the red is the most pronounced, followed by the green. Amber is not a colour my eyes see very well. (I am not colour blind, I just don't see it as well as I see the other two.) You may want to look at them first before spending money. I can shoot about a 4 - 6 inch diameter hole around the center of the target at 100 yards with this set up and one full mag.

Here's the general category for the 4x with fiber optic illumination
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=ACOG&mid=4 x 32 BAC
Here's the specific one I have:
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31-C-100198

For my AR Pistol, i have an EoTech 512-65
It's a simple holographic sight. No magnification. Runs on AA batteries, simple use, simple to adjust. You can find them used for cheaper than what's listed in the link below. I can shoot about a 4 - 6 inch diameter hole around the center of the target at 100 yards with this set up and one full mag. At 50yards, it's about 2-3 inches.
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-512

Good luck.

Last Edited:
I love my Aimpoint. Micro with a Latue mount is a fantastic and liight optic with nearly infinite battery life.

also, look for KAC BUIS, the front sight is finger adjustable. Love mine, womt use any other buis.

whats special about the mount??? does it flip off to the side, my son has a sight mount that flips off to the side and you can use iron sights, then depress a tab and its back in position.

I can never pass up a chance to tell every one how much I like my Eotech, but I rarely shoot over a 100 and more often than not, less.

My AR sometimes pulls double duty as a defensive weapon, and I love how fast I can get on target with the Eotech.

I use a Bushnel red dot on my 10/22, and it gets me out farther than the .22 LR will, and it's almost as fast as my Eotech at half the price.

The default bolt gun these days (long time) has no iron sights whatsoever for "backup". That used to bother me.. however, on a defensive rifle, I much prefer iron sights to other or even both.

Iron sights? wow. I figured optics would be better, especially with new modern Eotech types. With my stirke fire I can get on target faster than traditional optics.

Most folks who use iron sights on their defensive guns (who I've asked) do so because they are very reliable. I have an Eotech on my defense rifle, but I have co-witnessed, flip-up iron sights on it too as a backup.

I found that a good 1.5x4.5 shotgun scope is very versatile. At low power it is like a red dot type , plus the light gathering lets you see into the shadows. Turn it up to shoot clays at 200 yards.

Iron sights? wow. I figured optics would be better, especially with new modern Eotech types. With my stirke fire I can get on target faster than traditional optics.
Fast? might be a matter of semantics but traditionally and to this day, professionals go in after wounded dangerous game with iron sights. In the old days the front might be ivory but they certainly aren't/weren't optical/electronic. you were saying

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top