JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
even with glasses, red dot will not look sharp as it should be. unless you adjust your glasses for red dot.

ecotech is worse, because all you will see is red screen. :s0112:

I'd personally go with 1-4x scope.

also like it's already mentioned, vortex strike really good red dot sight for the money.

I shoot my Eotech no different than shooting Iron sights except that you don't have to align the front and rear sight. I wear glasses to correct my far away vision. Been shooting long distances with Iron sights for fun all my life. Don't underestimate what you may be able to do. You may surprise yourself.

I agree to a point that shooting from iron sights, just no 1 MOA dot in your eye. I use/used a red dot for fast target acquistion, but that was in another life, and i did not engage targets at a long distance either, if I did, i have a heavy pcs of glass on a different type of rifle, and i had distance and a bigger scope of sight to do what needed to be done. I don't do much distance shooting, professional life and in civilian comp shooting i dont because i dont shoot normally past 250 yrds for any match.. I have shot the practical rifle at Tri County and I don't use a red dot for that, I use a 4x scope because the distance changes so much per round, and it seems for me to be the best all around. I dont think i underestimate my ablities, i know my accuracy and my equipment/personal capablities. I think the training and practical use of the weapon platforms may have a big part to play in what I can do. I don't know how many of the military folk I know use a red dot past 200 yards, I just know when I use one, my head is a fixture to the red dot for quick target acquitions withing close proximity.
You would think 5 years of not being an operator i would have dropped old habits and learned other things. A New Years Goal?

Yea, you'll still likely need your glasses using anything and even more so since any receiver sighting device will be closer to your eye than the front sight.

Bushnel AR optics. More specifically the 1-4x24 throw down. The reticle is on the 1st plane so the hold overs work at all magnifications.

It isn't too expensive either.

That or Daniel Defense or Troy fixed iron sights.

Most of my fighting style AR builds have fixed sights. Once you learn how to use them they work just fine.

I went shooting with a couple friends today, I couldn't hardly hit anything with my iron sights. Apparently my eyes are rapidly deteriorating...

My friend's father had a Nikon P223 on his FAL, it has stood up to quite a bit of abuse above what it was designed for and is still going strong! I'll be ordering one tonight for my AR.

P-223 3-9x40 BDC 600 from Nikon

I went shooting with a couple friends today, I couldn't hardly hit anything with my iron sights. Apparently my eyes are rapidly deteriorating...

My friend's father had a Nikon P223 on his FAL, it has stood up to quite a bit of abuse above what it was designed for and is still going strong! I'll be ordering one tonight for my AR.

P-223 3-9x40 BDC 600 from Nikon
I need to find one for my SIG556R (7.62X39) and the one above is specifically for a .223/5.56 but I still nay get one for my AR.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Any good variable works well.
I assume its flat topped, not with the riser handle?
I use a good 3x9 with duplex.
It gives you pretty much the same capability as a mil dot.
I put a firefly on mine.
I like the low light illuminated crosshairs. The holos and red dots are just short range sights. Nice but I can aquire a sight pic just as quick with a scope.
Anything close and I have a qd mt and can pull the scope in a couple seconds and flip up the troys.

What is the primary use of this rifle going to be? Are you going to use it for a close quarters, home defense weapon? Or is this a gun to take out to the range, punch holes in paper, maybe gong the steel with it, or are you intending to hunt with the rifle also?

If it's meant for combat of any sort, and your concern is 0-100 yards - get a red dot or holographic sight like so many have mentioned. They're easy to see, fast to pick up, and accurate enough to hit a man-size target 0-100 with little effort.

If this is a range toy/hunting rifle - get a variable power scope and put it on a Nikon, Burris, or Weaver type mount. I have a Redfield 3-9x40 power Revolution scope on the Nikon M223 mount - great scope and mount, the combo set me back right at $300. Lifetime warranty on the scope, and it's a Leupold product (Redfield is a child company of Leupold & Stevens, and warranty issues are taken care of in Beaverton - not China). It's a good scope with good clarity, good eye relief, and won't break the bank.

Even for home defense work - it can work. Put the scope on it's lowest power setting and go. You won't have a glowing dot on the target for low-light shooting, but that's why God let there be light, right? (Mount a white light on the gun if it's a defensive rifle!)

If you aren't a cop or soldier using the rifle for tough work - you don't need to drop $600 on a sight unless you *want* to. Any of the $150-200 sights will work for punching paper and make it easier on weaker eyes than iron sights. I like the Vortex sights and the Redfield Counterstrike, which run $170-200 depending where you get it, because you can switch between red and green dots. Green dots are easier to see in many conditions. You don't get green dots in the EOTechs or Aimpoint sights - they are ONLY red dots.

If you need illuminated reticules with variable power - get an illuminated reticule scope and don't futz around with flip off magnifiers and dot sights unless you're going for mall ninja tacticool points. You'll save weight and have better field of view and clarity.

thanks for the chime in. Information like what you requested probably should have been up front....

No not a cop, / soldier... just a hobby shooter. Yes I pretty much just wanted this rifle to range shoot. I plan shooting no more than 200yds with scope at range, and 0-100yds normally at the local shooting mound.

I wouldn't never use a 223 for home defense. that darn bullet has soo much power. We realized the power of 223 over 45acp when my son made a target with 1/2in plate. the 223 punched through every time, 45 would hit, smash and drop. Leaving an indent in the target at best. No I don't need my 223 going through 3 neighbors houses...

I did make purchase of a Vortex® StrikeFire We will see how it works. If not I will take one of your suggestions.

I did make purchase of a Vortex® StrikeFire We will see how it works. If not I will take one of your suggestions.

I owned one. Wasn't my cup of tea. Too large of a sight for being a red dot. It is very well built. Should do the job well.

If you find it too large there is always their new smaller Sparc. I prefer a smaller red dot optic. Saves your eye from trying to use the optic as a magnified optic. In other words I found my dominant eye "scope eye we can call it" focusing on the largeness that is the optic itself. I found it hard to shoot with both eyes open.

The smaller red dots like the Sparc or the TRS25 or the Aimpoint Micro. Are much easier to use when shooting with both eyes.

I started out with a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50, but now have a Vortex Viper 6-20x50 on my Bushmaster Varminter. You can't go wrong with Vortex's lifetime, no questions asked, transferrable warranty. They have a wide range of products from the Strikefire to the Viper ST. I've found that with the Viper I can adjust the eyepiece so that I don't need to use my glasses at all, which is a really good thing. With my vision I can't use iron sights anymore. Even my old Remington rolling block has a Marble's post-type peep sight on it these days.

AR3.jpg

This is a little off topic, but when I was going thru AIT at Fort Lewis in '69 they removed the sights from our M-16's and sent us to a "Quick Kill" range. Seems there was too much aiming and too little shooting going on during ambushes in Viet Nam.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top