JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I just picked up my first ( of many I am sure) AR-15. Got home and realized it has NO sights... getting older and after last weekends shoot, I realize iron sights are tough on the eyes. trying to focus on gun iron sights and the target isn't easy with glasses. My son is trying to talk me into a EO Tech sight. The $600 is tough, but not out of reach. what are some good sights for an AR. I'm not shooting 500yds but I need something of descent quality for probably up to 100 yards. Suggestions for a sight, and why?

thanks

I would look into a vortex strike fire red dot. I had one on a previous rifle and was pretty impressed with the quality. Red or green reticle. Should serve you well for your intended use.

I believe that they are around $120.

EOtech without a magnifier is not going do of you much good outside 50yrds. Depends on price range of what you want to spend. redfield battlefields scope for about 150 to a 6k Swarovski scope.
An EOtech with magnifier is going to run about 850 all together.

And it comes with a 2x magnifier, I have 2 vortex strikefires on an ar and a PCR. image.jpg

image.jpg

I had the same issue and recently purchased a Nikon P223 3-9x40 with BDC. They recently had a sale on them for $149.
It has great optics, is well constructed, accurate, and has gotten great reviews.
I originally had a red dot on my AR, but found with my aging eyes it didn't give me a clear picture in the distance so I replaced it with the Nikon.
I also considered Vortex and Redfield and they also are good options.

EOTech's are good for rapid aquisition of targets at 0-100 yards, maybe 200 yards if you have good eyesight. The EOTech is not a precision optic, it is a fast optic. Aimpoint is another high quality brand. Both EOTech and Aimpoint holographic optics have magnifiers, but the added weight makes your lightweight rifle not so lightweight.
If you have astigmatism, the red dot sights aren't great, but are still useable.
Another option for less than $1000 with a quick detach mount is the Trijicon TR24G, it is a 1-4 power scope. This is an excellent rapid acquisition optic for 0-250 yards or more if you have good eyesight.
Good quality quick detach scope mounts are great because you can take the optic/scope off and reinstall it without losing your zero. A good example for using a quality mount is you can take your scope off when you clean your upper or you can share the optic between a couple of rifles. LaRue and Bobro are a couple of well known, high quality scope mount brands.

I just bought a Trijicon RX06 Reflex 12.5 MOA amber triangle reflex sight for my suppressed 300 Blackout SBR.
I liked the fact that it didn't have any buttons/switches or batteries to deal with, just grab and go.
Only 4.2 ounces and very accurate.
Picked it up on eBay with an ARMS quick detach mount for $390.00

I used a vortex strike fire until I wanted to get out beyond 200yds and it worked great (about 2" at 100yds which is the size of the dot at that range, at 200 with a 2x magnifier the dot covers a 8" bull but I was able to keep them all inside the bull) and held up well. I have switched to a Leupold mark ar 3-9 with the illuminated reticule and now have come to the limits of my ability and the rifle itself rather than those of the optic but I do like the instant sight picture of the red dot for out to 100 yds.

I might suggest a Redfield 3-9X variable in a Burris Picatinney mount. That combination will cost you under $300, if you shop carefully, and will provide you with the versatility I believe you'd enjoy.

Really?????? I guess I should stop shooting at things past 400 yards then. I wish someone would have told me sooner!

So you can see 400 yards with an EOTech without a magnifier, your eyesight must be awesome brother, i need your sight, cause at 200 yards, with the MOA, I am guessing at a 12" target. Good for you man, I envy your eyes, I can't do it, heck, I don't try. At 200 yards, I am better with co witnessing than with a red dot, Every EOTech I have ever seen is 1x.
But seriously, if you read his initial post, he is having eyesight issues, so I am thinking his range with a red dot is very limited

I like the sight mark line of reflex sights and magnifiers. Great build quality and optics all at a price that allows for other additions or more ammo :cool:

As you can see by the amount of opinions shared thus far, there is a lot available. To chime in, it all depends on what distances and what kind of use you want to get out of your rifle. I personally see no sense, at least in my situation, to drop 1K on optics for an AR as I have other rifles designated for long range use. My AR's are for use around the 300 yard mark, with that several of the suggestions made will work excellent depending on your budget.

So you can see 400 yards with an EOTech without a magnifier, your eyesight must be awesome brother, i need your sight, cause at 200 yards, with the MOA, I am guessing at a 12" target. Good for you man, I envy your eyes, I can't do it, heck, I don't try. At 200 yards, I am better with co witnessing than with a red dot, Every EOTech I have ever seen is 1x.
But seriously, if you read his initial post, he is having eyesight issues, so I am thinking his range with a red dot is very limited
I shoot my Eotech no different than shooting Iron sights except that you don't have to align the front and rear sight. I wear glasses to correct my far away vision. Been shooting long distances with Iron sights for fun all my life. Don't underestimate what you may be able to do. You may surprise yourself.

Well nobody has mentioned an ACOG yet, so let's talk Trijicon. 4X magnification, good down to about 10 feet, great out to 200 yards for old eyes, about the cost of an EOTech plus magnifier, weighs less, and looks really cool on an AR.

On the other hand if you aren't shooting and moving, a simple Weaver 1-4X like you'd put on a shotgun will get the job done remarkably well. I forget the model number of the one I have but it's really clear and works great out to 200 yards, although my shotty is happier inside 150. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $200 for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top