JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just bought a Ruger LC9 and while I don't think it to be BEST I do think it a good value and a good choice. A Colt Mustang is a .380 and $200 more, it has a lot of quality. The Sig 938 is more too. I understand that a better trigger leads to being a better shot, but these aren't really target pistols, in my mind anyway.

I am interested in the XDS and if it turns out to be what they say it is, I may buy one to replace the Taurus TCP I occasionally carry.
But, I've had the TCP for about 2 years and think it's a decent little gun. I chose it over the Ruger, and I like Ruger. It's slightly bigger and just seems to feel better in my hand. I use it when I need to dress differently than normal. I usually carry a CBOB in an IWB Summer Comfort, but sometimes I need something that I can just drop into a pants or jacket pocket. A pocket holster works well with this little one.

I've often been told that a good carry pistol is one: a) that you can be accurate with and are comfortable with its operation and is also b) able to be confidently concealed in your own style.

There are a lot of good pistols listed here. I'm really trying to decide between a PM9 and and LCR or other J-frame revolver. I can't find a PM9 to rent in the area to test out functionality. Even if I could find a range to rent one, too many of the range guns I've handled were on their last legs and by no means representative of a new or lightly used carry piece. Besides visiting the ranges and the LGS what would you do or have done to decide between two very good firearms? Are there private trainers or establishments that I'm unaware of that cater to a customer like me who wants to shoot and/or try out holsters (only been to one LGS so far where trying out holsters in the store seemed "sanctioned" I guess)? Have you met with other members here towards such ends?

I really like my Sig P938 9mm !

8 rounds of 9mm Speer Gold Dot JHPs in the palm of my hand.

T3.JPG

I carry a Taurus TCP .380 daily either in my front pocket with a pocket holster or an IWB. I hear guys knocking the .380 all the time. IMO, it's about shot placement, the type of ammunition, and EMPTY IT. If it's easy to carry, then you wil be more likely to carry it...period. I haven't seen the perfect carry gun come up yet. So many factors involved will dictate what you like. Your body type/size, daily dress and activities, how long you'll have it on your person during the course of the day (Drive a lot, or desk job?), etc... For me, it needs to be light, easy to wear, and be willing to wear it all day on my feet.

for a work/ back up/ pockt gun i carry a beretta 21a 22lr with cci stingers.. my wife liked it so i got her a beretta 3032 with trace grips like new for under 400 OTD its 32acp...
I do like the 9mm sig 938 but its pricey, and i like the SA/DA of the beretta... Id say to get if you like it the new tiny 45 xdm compact with the tiny frame and 3.8" barrel.. XDs are bulletproof.. its a 45, 9 rounds or 13 with an extension... they are tiny, but useable..
I EDC a commander 1911, but it seems like a nice back up etc

I used to carry the Kel-Tec PF-9. The Ruger is a total copy - parts interchange.
No issues with any ammo I ran thru it - mostly cheap, but also my choice in PD -- Hornady Critical Defense.
I stopped because, my finger found the mag release too many times. No bang is bad.

What ever you want to get, shoot it first. Make sure the controls all are working for you.

Light guns are snappy - but you still need to practice.
If your barrel is under 3" think laser.

Glock 26, just picked one up to replace my S&W 640 that I have carried since 1994 and is being retired to nightstand duty.

I have had a LC9, kept it for two weeks and down the road it went. Trigger is ridiculous on those things.

If I didn't get the Glock 26, next inline was a S&W Shield but unavailable right now.

Pros and Cons of Glock 26. You Tube is your friend, so many videos out there to explain what people like and don't like and let you see for yourself rather than me trying to explain...

I am going with xd-subcompact 9mm. m&p shield grip was too thin, glock and m&p compact grips are uncomfortable for me. xd-subcompact is tad bit bigger then others, but felt just right in my hands.

so before you make a decision just by reading stuff on the internet, make sure you hold them in your hands.

I have the PF9 parkerized. It is not bad, its comfortable, super light weight and holds 8 rounds of 9mm. However the trigger just kills me. Its too long. The gun (or me) can also not get it to shoot where I point it, I am always high right. Other people have shot it straight so it must just be me. It was also not fun to shoot repeatedly. The grip was a bit too long and it would print without tilting it in the holster.

I upgraded to a sig P290 and love it. DAO triggers usually are not my thing but this one is light, smooth and short. The added weight of the slide is nice for mitigating the snappiness of the small gun. It has a small and large range magazine and is super reliable and shoots where I point it. Night sights are also cool. It is heavier and a bit wider at the slide. The only thing I do not like is the mag release seems to stick out a bit more than it needs to. Not a malfunction yet on it. The 2 finger grip is very comfy surprisingly and prints much less on me.

The keltec just didn't seem like something I would proud to say I own and to show off unlike my Sig.

Just for reference I wear a 32 pant size and weight 135 so its really hard to conceal anything on me without a big coat.

I carry a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm, its a chunky little monkey but it fits my hand perfect and gives me great control with the rotating barrel on recoil and follow up shots. The slight discomfort / more difficulty in finding something appropriate to carry it in is worth it with the additional capacity and the way i shoot with it. I carry it in a crossbreed super tuck with a cobra style gun belt.... awesome!

Having said that, i used to run a Khar CW9 and i loved it, small, compact and handled like a full sized pistol. Easy to conceal & carry and was deadly accurate for me. I sold it to gain additional capacity.

In between these two i had a Sig 238 and that was extremely comfortable for a small gun, with the addition of an extended magazine it was probably the most comfortable 'feeling' gun i have carried. My wife hated it though so we sold it as she shares the 'mousegun' of the household.

Our latest purchase was a Taurus 738 tcp... we looked at all the usual suspects, LCP, LC9, Nano, PPS etc... We like the PPS but it was just too pricey for what we wanted. The LCP was the front runner until we randomly picked up the taurus, it felt good, the trigger was nice, it had a nice reset and was ergonomic for both mine and my wife's hands. We picked it up for less than $250 out of the door. The main reason we went with a smaller gun is due to the fact my wife likes to carry in an ankle holster in her boots so the size of the taurus, its ergonomics and price point satisfied all of our criteria.

I tend to go through 'phases' whereby you want concealability AND comfort, in order to do so (for the most part) there is a trade off with capacity and perhaps the ability of the gun to handle recoil.... then i'll swing to the 'i want as many bullets in my magazine as possible!' and so i will look at the more full sized gun's.. but will swing back the other way after carrying a bigger gun for a while haha.... i came to realize that chasing the 'perfect' gun that did everything i wanted just wasn't possible, so instead i just bought a few different guns to satisfy specific situations.

For a cheap, reliable pocket gun I really like my Kel-Tec PF-9. I've never had a single malfuntion with it. I used to carry a Smith 640 in .357 but it got a bit bulky ( I still have it). The PF-9 has pretty harsh recoil & I think that causes a lot of shooters to be a bit limp-wristed with it...thus lots of mis-fires. I put 50 to 100 rounds through it everytime I go the the range just to stay proficent. The PF-9 was much nicer to shoot when I bought a magazine with the grip extension. Besides If it get stolen while not on my imediate person - I'm not out a lot of $!

If I have a lot of clothing to conseal my firearm - then I carry either my FiveSeven or Sig 228.

They're all good you just need to find the one that fits you best.

Since the weather has turned colder I've been wearing my Springfield XDm 3.8 compact a lot more. All I can say is the holster makes all the difference. I hated carrying it with a cheap-o IWB holster. Carrying it with my Sparks VM-2 makes it incredibly comfortable, easy to draw, and spreads the weight out perfect

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top