JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another thing i noticed about the F250 quad cabs was that the back seating area seemed to have more room then the dodges... which i like...

So pretty much would it be worth it to purchase a Diesel over a gas?

here is a little pic for ya as well. This is what it costs to fill up around two months ago. Yes, it could have taken more, but i stopped the pain early.

diesel.jpg

the weakest link out of all the trucks, at least it was when I bought mine, is the transmission. I would log on to some of the forums and find out what people think about their trucks, common problems etc.

But how long does that many gallons last you compared to a gas truck

I had a 2002 Duramax, and had no problems with it. It was very comfortable on long trips, and was reliable. It must have been a good one. I own a 2005 Dodge 3500 dually. Awesome truck. My next truck will be a Dodge diesel as well. I've had Fords (F150 and F250), but not a diesel from them so can't comment there.

My work truck is an 02 2500 with 635,000 miles on the OD, 24v cummins, 4wd, 6 spd. Other than the injector pump and common replacement parts (water pump and the like) it is all stock. Everything else has been replaced a few times as it does wear out. BTW, 18MPG everywhere.

I am around trucks A LOT. If I were to get a gas it would be a GMC, diesel would be a Dodge with a manual. Stay away from anything that says TRITON, but I do really like the fords in both gas and diesel. Basically, it is hard to beat a new pickup. Toyota and Nissan also make outstanding pickups, Nissans are definitaly tougher, but they are a 3/4 and the Tundra is a 1/2. The Tundra also has sucky fuel mileage.

It might not need to be said but do not buy a 2 wheel drive diesel.The engine weight will get you stuck easily.
True to a point. If it is not going to be used in mud or a place where it would get stuck, or where 4wd is not needed, a 2wd diesel will be perfectly fine, especially if it is just for towing, less wear and tear, better mileage, higher towing capacity.

Another rig to look at, but it is older, is the first gen cummins power ram 250 and 350. I don't think a better tough truck is out there. 12v cummins will get you 24mpg, have more power than you need. It rides like a truck with a 4 wheel leaf spring suspension. The problem is that they REALLY hold their value, and in good shape can easily bring $10,000. 5 spd is recommended. A guy I do business with runs one with a heavy trailer hauling a 15' or bigger back hoe, said his newer cummins, 98, wouldn't handle it with the suspension. Plus, they are just good looking trucks.

My parents have a durango with a 4.7 and it is a great engine and has been trouble free, no problems hauling boats and trailers, even had to haul my Dakota when the rear end went out, but a jeep might not be strong enough to do it.

An F150 would probably do whatever you need, and they are great pickups. My friend has a 97 with 280k on it and it runs awesome, no problems hauling a boat with the 4.3 v6.

Pickups are awesome.

True to a point. If it is not going to be used in mud or a place where it would get stuck, or where 4wd is not needed, a 2wd diesel will be perfectly fine, especially if it is just for towing, less wear and tear, better mileage, higher towing capacity.

Another rig to look at, but it is older, is the first gen cummins power ram 250 and 350. I don't think a better tough truck is out there. 12v cummins will get you 24mpg, have more power than you need. It rides like a truck with a 4 wheel leaf spring suspension. The problem is that they REALLY hold their value, and in good shape can easily bring $10,000. 5 spd is recommended. A guy I do business with runs one with a heavy trailer hauling a 15' or bigger back hoe, said his newer cummins, 98, wouldn't handle it with the suspension. Plus, they are just good looking trucks.

My parents have a durango with a 4.7 and it is a great engine and has been trouble free, no problems hauling boats and trailers, even had to haul my Dakota when the rear end went out, but a jeep might not be strong enough to do it.

An F150 would probably do whatever you need, and they are great pickups. My friend has a 97 with 280k on it and it runs awesome, no problems hauling a boat with the 4.3 v6.

Pickups are awesome.

Yup. Those are, for my money, the best small diesel pickup built so far.

My last truck lasted 25 years - If was a Ford F250 - super cab - Loved it. Prior to that a Chevy that last about15 years before I sold it.
My current truck is a ford F350. That should last me til I am too old.

My general comments:
1. I heard from the dealer that it takes 25K miles before diseals start getting good mileage. May have changed
2. We went with a heavier truck for carrying / towing weight.
3. I have always found gas - Have seen a few occasions where desiel was not available - May be rare ?

I know two people with newer titans, they both traded in their tundra's to get them, and both won't go back. One was an early 2k Tundra and the other was an 08 TRD.

They look like good vehicles. I used to joke about them. They've cured me of that for now. Time will tell though.

Do not buy a Duramax for any reason. They are known to have injector issues and it runs 4K or better to replace them.

Some of the older Duramax engines had issues. I have a 2004 that has been bullet proof. I have also owned a couple of Dodge Cummins rigs and the were good too. The Chevy is far and away the better rig.

Another thing i noticed about the F250 quad cabs was that the back seating area seemed to have more room then the dodges... which i like...

So pretty much would it be worth it to purchase a Diesel over a gas?

But how long does that many gallons last you compared to a gas truck

I fill up once a month - but this is not my daily driver. With the mods i have and the tires i run it gets around 13 to 14 in the city and 16 or 17 on the highway. If I toned it down and had street tires and changed the ECU flash back I would expect about a 7 to 10% gain

I think its gonna end up being a Dodge 2500 Diesel ... but it has to be black says the boss... i think shes just trying to make it harder on me... lol

We just bought an F-250 with the new 6.7 diesel. 21mpg on the highway with 3.55 gears, 18 mpg over all. 800 ft. lbs. of torque means you can tow anything, crewcab is roomy for four full sized people, ok for five and short trips with six. We found a 2011 when 2012's are flooding the market, it had 95% of the options I was going to order and it was a canceled sale that had sat for an extended period on the lot of a dealer about 125 miles from my house. They went $4,500 under INVOICE to sell it. Edmunds.com says I am the king of good deals.

It was still expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads