JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Iv come to the point where Im starting to look for a new rig... and Id like to get a truck... im not planning on getting it till about march (taxes and bonus from work) but Id like to have an idea of what I want... im expecting to be spending about 20k for a decent one that will last me a long time... I want a quad cab short bed (got a kid, but im sure its not gonna stop there lol) so 4 doors would be more convenient..My boss loves the dodge diesels hes got a 07 3500 mega cab short bed a delete kit and 4in exhaust and gets about 23 MPG on the hwy... Iv been considering a diesel because of their reputation to last longer... 300K plus on an engine, but they are more expensive to fix and fuel is about .50 more a gallon... the trucks iv been looking at are:

Quad cab
Ford F150 (this is my # 1 choice)
Dodge 1500 and 2500 (diesel)
and the Chev 2500 diesel

Id like a truck i can keep for a long time not have to sell or be worried about it breaking down cause its almost got 200k on it ( i know stuff happens)..

I plan on pulling a cargo trailer for my quads bout 16 footer... so it needs to be able to pull that ok... gets decent gas mileage ( i know it wont be amazing at least 16 on hwy would be nice)

Iv got a 4.7lt in my jeep now but i think it would have a tough time pulling a 16ft trailer and plus it got 162k plus on it so i dont wanna put to much stress on the tranny/engine..

So any input would be great!!! thanks!!!

I have owned a Ford F250 diesel for around ten years now. It's by far the best vehicle I have ever owned (did I say ever). You are bang on the money though regarding operating costs being more for a diesel not only is fuel more, but oil changes, for the ford and I suspect dodge and chevy diesels too, require 3.5 gallons of oil. I can do it myself with filter for around 60 depending upon where I get my oil. fuel filters need regular changing as well and to top that you can go nuts with additives, anti foaming for oil, anti cavitation for coolant, anti bacterial for fuel it gets crazy. However most of that stuff I do not use.

the pros are that the resale for diesels are higher than gas trucks, they can pull just about anything, and they smell good too :). However if you want a daily driver for city use, parking downtown an occasional run to the mountains. I would go with a half ton gas truck. I also have a car and because I work downtown parking the truck can be a biotch let alone certain parking structures.

here is a little pic for ya as well. This is what it costs to fill up around two months ago. Yes, it could have taken more, but i stopped the pain early.

diesel.jpg

the weakest link out of all the trucks, at least it was when I bought mine, is the transmission. I would log on to some of the forums and find out what people think about their trucks, common problems etc.

I think the Cummins is the best diesel engine out there.The trucks aren't bad,the only trouble mine had were from the previous owner wrecking it.
You will get around 20mpg,but it will cost you the same per mile as a big block gas engine.Probably close to 12-15 pulling a trailer.I got 10 pulling a 12k fifth wheel.
Duallies aren't really necessary unless you have a HUGE camper and might pull a boat.Actually the diesel isn't really cost effective unless you are pulling heavy loads on a daily basis.The engine will last 2-300k easily if taken care of.

So basically I would pick a truck that fits my everyday life first,then get just enough to haul my trailer.If you haul every weekend,then you pick a little heavier truck. If you won't use a 3/4 ton on a daily basis,there's no need unless you will haul a camper.3/4 tons are heavier and geared for hauling so less MPG .
I like four doors,but that makes for a terrible every day vehicle.You need a football field to turn around.And they weigh more so less MPG

My neighbor has the short box 4 door Dodge (not that MASSIVE CAB thing) with a diesel.He claims 23 also.It should pull the trailer you are talking about easily. That would be my next truck iffinn I ever came up with 15k.

I like the 2002s and earlier because of the basic diesel engine(not much electronics yet),but the newr ones are just better looking.

Hey good luck with you search.

I've had two diesel pickups. The first one I had was a '02 Chevy Duramax, extended cab long bed 4x4. To put it short, I would never buy another "Heavy Duty" GM product again. Besides being made from some kinda metal that resembles a pop can, it had mechanical issues. With the tranny, it got hot a lot, and the electronic shifter thing on the side went out 4 times in about 1.5 years. The engine was the biggest problem. At about 150,000 miles, the headgaskets blew. DSU on Swan Island wanted $8000+ to fix it. Whoever came up with the plan to put aluminum heads on a diesel is an idiot. So, I lost a ton of money and sold the truck. Not to mention the IFS front end didn't hold up very well to light off roading. I bought a Dodge next. It was an '03 Quad Cab Longbed 4x4 diesel. I wish I'd never of sold it! It did have a fuel injector go out at about 98,000 miles, but warranty covered it. I had a programmer on it, 5" straight pipe exhaust from turbo back (I built it out of semi exhaust), stock gears (3.55s), and 37" tires, and a 5" intake (also semi exhaust) with a huge AFE filter. I constantly got 29-32MPG driving from Sheridan to Vancouver every day. With the engine breathing that free and the tire/gear combo, at like 60MPH, I was at like 900 RPM. I was hard on that truck, and I was running 40-60psi of boost a lot of times, it did a great job, the body, frame and suspension were also way way better. I'm looking for another truck now, i don't tow any more, but with the Dodge I towed a 35' Racecar trailer all over. I'm considering a F150 cause they drive like a car, or a F250. I think you would be ok with a gas truck for your use, but if you go with a 3/4 or 1 ton, I'd step up to a diesel. DO NOT BUY A 6.0 Ford! They have lots of problems. My dad is a Certified Banks installer, and a very good friend owns DFI, a diesel pickup shop. I can give you phone numbers of many people who have spent thousands on their STOCK 6 liters. Trust me! For 20k you can get a nice truck. If I buy another diesel it will be another Dodge, I'd highly recommend '05 or older Dodge Cummins trucks. They don't have emission crap and can give you much better economy. PM me if you have questions.

. I think you would be ok with a gas truck for your use, but if you go with a 3/4 or 1 ton, I'd step up to a diesel. DO NOT BUY A 6.0 Ford! They have lots of problems.

yeah that's a good call out. I have a 7.3 - good buddy bought a 6.0 lariat brand spankin new back in 2005 and probably has 12,000 total miles on it now. In that time (the 12,000 miles) he's had to replace the turbo and other components (its been under warranty, but still).

It's aslo funny since Dodge guys are loyal forever - just like my neighbor who keeps goin back to get work done under warranty and bubblegumes about his truck buys a new one every couple years. I have had mine for ten years - pulled trailers, used to be daily commuter, vacation goer - simply an awesome vehicle. My only bubblegum - only complaint is fuel economy but most of that I brought on myself with tires, chip, exhaust, etc etc.

Yea I saw a very nice looking F350 with the 6.0 in it and said no thanks... I also heard they were not very good... and i wont be towing EVERY day maybe once or twice a month ( a few more times in the summer perhaps) i think the 5.4L in an F150 would work ok for my needs? but not sure of the MPG on it....

Im just not sure if i can justify the purchase of a diesel.... but then again i cant unjustify it either

and it will also be my daily driver from Albany to Corvallis...

Ford Diesel! I get 20 Mpg highway without towing (10 with 15K trailer) 14 in the city. 7.3 powerstroke with Banks Stinger Plus kit. I have killed my transmission so time to build a bulletproof version. Towing this much, all factory transmissions (maybe not the allison) are disposable.

2010-05-28102814.jpg

Before I bought my Dodge I looked at everything.Saw the perfect truck but with a 6.0.Hmmmm
So I googled 6.0 and got 1032458386 (+ - 2m) hits of problems
Google the Cummins or 7.3 cornbinder and you get upgrade hits.And a few problems here and there.

My Fords are old so they don't fit the scope of what you would be buyin, but I'd buy one of the newer F150's and not think twice about it.
My dad bought a new 98 f150 extra cab 4x4 with the 5.4 and an automatic trans. It uses the same basic trans as the bigger engines and diesels. It's also the only thing that's givin him any trouble in the nearly 190,000 miles he's had it. We had it rebuilt by a reputable shop @ 80,000 miles and the thing is still going strong. He tows a 5th wheel that weighs about 5000lbs loaded with no troubles.

Take a look at your trailer weight, where you're pulling it, and any other requirements you have. Smaller trucks are usually cheaper to maintain and are more common. Newer F-150s almost ride very nice.

Moving along to the diesels. I like the Dodge Cummins and some of the Ford diesels but I'm guessing they are overkill for your trailer. The Cummins Dodges can be modified into monsters. My experience is with late 90's an early 2000's diesels.

Kiewit Construction, the largest construction company in the world, only uses diesel powered trucks that are 2 1/2 tons or bigger. Anything under that are gasoline powered.

Kiewit Construction, the largest construction company in the world, only uses diesels powered trucks that are 2 1/2 tons or bigger. Anything under that are gasoline powered.

so...do you think Kiewit would go gas or diesel here? Remember the OP is gonna pull a 3000 ton trailer into and out of a quarry to include frequent travels over rip rap - I suspect diesel, but who knows.

Kewit does't haul much more than a compressor with there little trucks,they have big trucks to haul heavier.
Plus half the trucks are running all day long (kinda a foreman thing,that's their rain gear)

Can you get much better mileage from the smaller trucks,these days? And are the diesel trucks still holding a premium over gas trucks? Used to be $2k-$3k more
If not,then I would always go for diesel for a full sized PU

Now for SHTF,in another thread,someone brought up the point of all the stuff you can use for fuel in your diesel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top