JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lookin for a semi weatherproof SHTF/survival/camping radio with am/fm/weatherband. in the $75-$100 range
Want one with a wind up dynamo incase batteries become scarce. I`ve looked on line and at the reviews but they all say the same thing.
Does anyone have experience with these ??

This is the one I have : <broken link removed>
I got it for the extra power options and the fact it has a frs radio built in. I have tested everything on it and works great.

The CC radios at ccradio.com work pretty well, just pick your flavor. Also the fred meyers around here have radios by the red cross, with solar, crank-charge, and battery and can charge devices via USB.

The CC radios at ccradio.com work pretty well, just pick your flavor. Also the fred meyers around here have radios by the red cross, with solar, crank-charge, and battery and can charge devices via USB.

I really like the idea of a USB charger. Our smartphones will charge from that and you can't just put new batteries in them because they aren't a standard battery. I suppose it's possible for the grid to go down in a local area but the cell service still be working. We get ours via satellite.

The smartphone will do so much more including web browsing, email, texting, gps, directions to and from anywhere, etc. I also really like the solar capability. I'll check out those Red Cross ones. Thanks, Arkarayne

I have two different Red Cross radios that have done right by me. I will point out that cranking a radio for power is a pita but if it's all you've got it will work.

I really like the idea of a USB charger. Our smartphones will charge from that and you can't just put new batteries in them because they aren't a standard battery. I suppose it's possible for the grid to go down in a local area but the cell service still be working. We get ours via satellite.

The smartphone will do so much more including web browsing, email, texting, gps, directions to and from anywhere, etc. I also really like the solar capability. I'll check out those Red Cross ones. Thanks, Arkarayne

You're welcome, and yes, you'll be cranking for quite a while, but it'll charge any USB device, and with some modifying, you can use the interface to trickle-charge bigger things, should desperation arise. and yeah, cell towers usually have backup generators (won't last long term, but would be enough time to make some important calls.

There's also FM and AM transmitters civilian people can buy, limited range, depending on price, but the right setup and you can broadcast yourself on any frequency.
Also, some of the aforementioned radios can also pick up NOAA Weather, HAM and CB bands, expanding communication ability. (the red cross ones I think pick up HAM and NOAA, but not CB)

Kaito Raido makes some popular equipment mostly short wave but many have features like, crank-solar-multi power source, The KA500 has multi power source crank solar usb, no personal experience but have seen the Kaito products referred as quality entry level for SHFT on other blog site discussions of emergency comms.

Depends on where you live. Some cities have programs for disaster prepardness and (ham) amateur radio operators. Suggest getting a hand crank AND solar options. Also find out what/which stations are your emergency radio stations in your area and WRITE THEM ON THE RADIO with permanent marker.

If you get a radio with a solar panel make sure you condition the battery. Let it sit in the sun for a week+ and then run it down. Do that a couple of times. I turn mine on when I go to work and come home and stick it back in the [south] window.

I like a radio that works on 1.5v cells, any number, as those can easily be solar-charged, even while moving, with the simplest of solar-cell chargers. I'm shopping around between CB / AM / FM units, combined with Amateur-band sets. 2-m, 10-m, and 20-m sets can be rigged up with a lot of power, just for fun, when there are no FCC monitors, after SHTF. Combining portability, range, and battery availability will be the trick. "What good is a radio when all the stations are off?" is a good question, if considering only ONE kind of radio. I don't plan on listening to the news; I plan on MAKING the news! My current radio is an 8-band (AM/FM, and Short Wave Bands 1 - 6, 5.90 - 18.10 Megs.) It's a small set, dynamo power to the hard-wired batteries, and 3 1.5v replaceable cells, 5"x8"x2", weighs one pound. I'm shopping the Shack for a cheap CB set.

Last Edited:
Thanks, Arkarayne

The cell service will stay up until the generators run out of fuel. I don't know how long they'll run for, but I've got issues with wrapping up power options to a single source. USB charging is nice, but if you look at all the things you have that have to be charged via a USB connection, I get concerned real quick. We've become accustomed to always having power, which is risky. There are some solar powered USB sources, but these take a very long time to charge your devices, with the charging time inversely proportional to the price you pay. I wish there was a better solution, but I haven't seen one yet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top