JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to get something for my wife and I to read over and kind of refresh for what legally we can or cannot do to protect ourselves, whether from at home or on the street. My wife is a good shot, and is willing to carry for self protection, but is apprehensive about carrying unless she is certain about the laws about self defense. She doesn't want to end up doing the wrong thing, as ignorance of the law is not an excuse in court. We liked watching the ATSN show "Stop The Threat", which gave some really good real life examples, and commentary from professionals.

I've been looking online and reading reviews, but I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what they think is a good guide, especially one that focuses on WA state self defense laws.

This one seems to have good review:
http://www.gunlaws.com/SelfDefenseLawsOfAll50States.htm

The reviews say that this one explains things in layman's terms and gives many real life examples in each chapter. Any suggestions?

http://www.lawofselfdefense.com/
Andrew covers just about everything related to legally protecting yourself...his book has been called, "The Owner's Manual for your Conceal Carry Permit":cool: A section of the book pertains to Washington State, but most laws overlap a significant amount.
I highly recommend it to anyone who chooses to carry a firearm for self defense. The parameters for the use of deadly force in self defense are very narrow and well defined, like it or not. Bravado and tough talk are no match for an ambitious prosecutor with an election to win. :rolleyes:o_O;)

They all seem to boil down to the same things...Only shoot 'em in the front, they had better be armed, a lot bigger than you, or out number you 2x1 and you feared for your life, you were protecting your family. o_O

Things are in your favor if they have broken into your house, or you've prevented a mass shooting.:)

You're still in trouble if it's an election year and the judge & prosecutor are anti-gun:(

Either way, it's a crap shoot and it's going to cost you money, but you're alive.:D

Thank you all for the awesome resources! I've been reading a lot online, but I figure it's time to invest some money and buy some books by experts to read and gain more knowledge.

I'm also concerned by events like the guy in Missoula getting 70yrs for shooting a home intruder. I know the situation was not clear cut and not all the details are out there, but it's worrying.

Also Seattle's starting to get even worse in home invasions and other crimes out in public. My wife is in downtown until late at night many times a week and I do worry about her when she's going back to her car. You act too soon and you're in big trouble with the law, act too late and you're toast. The perp always has the upper hand and I want my lady to be more sure about what, when and how she can protect herself if need be.

We're also thinking about taking self defense handgun courses. Any recommendations for classes in Seattle, especially women classes?

Well, as much as I can understand the frustration with being ripped off time and time again, the case in Missoula just proves how well defined self defense laws are, and how well you should know them if you are going to use deadly force.
Most importantly, your attitude plays a huge role. His bravado in the hair salon; "I'm tired because I stayed up all night waiting to shoot someone stealing my stuff" didn't help him. Words like that will always be used against you as premeditation in the event of a 'self defense' incident. :eek::eek::eek:
Please, know the law....really well. o_Oo_O
This guy has 70 long years to decide if protecting 'stuff' was really worth killing over.:(:(

Oh wow, I didn't read in the other articles that he was saying that. The other thing I saw was the prosecuter was claiming that he left the garage door open and a purse was left in plain sight. That case is just all kinds of messed up. I agree on stuff isn't worth killing for. At home, I figure the homeowners insurance will cover anything stolen.

Andrew covers just about everything related to legally protecting yourself...his book has been called, "The Owner's Manual for your Conceal Carry Permit":cool: A section of the book pertains to Washington State, but most laws overlap a significant amount.

Thanks for the kind words, Monica, it's much appreciated.

FYI, I personally keep a copy of the Vilos' book, "Self Defense Laws of All 50 States" on my office shelf. Most people find their book to be structured in a manner quite complementary to mine. They take a state-by-state approach, and in each chapter discuss the legal principles, whereas I take a legal principles approach, and in each chapter include tables of the relevant state laws.

In fact, I include the Vilos' book among the "recommended reading" list on my blog, along with Ayoob's (new!) "Deadly Force" and "In the Gravest Extreme," de Becker's "The Gift of Fear," and other great resources. (That list, for anyone who is interested is here: http://lawofselfdefense.com/losd-library/)

If the admins here were in favor I'd be happy to set up a forum-specific discount code, say 25% off. Would just need someone with appropriate authority to give the ok. :)

--Andrew, @LawSelfDefense.com

I highly recommend it to anyone who chooses to carry a firearm for self defense. The parameters for the use of deadly force in self defense are very narrow and well defined, like it or not. Bravado and tough talk are no match for an ambitious prosecutor with an election to win. :rolleyes:o_O;)
I would view this topic like a divorce. The laws don't matter as much as what the prosecutor is willing to try and how he can sway the jury.

I would view this topic like a divorce. The laws don't matter as much as what the prosecutor is willing to try and how he can sway the jury.

Haha. :) Then why bother learning the law at all, or for that matter complying with it? Just hope for a favorably disposed prosecutor, right?

I suppose that's ONE strategy. :)

While we're on that kind of topic, why bother with the front sight? Or caliber--hey, .22 works fine, right? Hey, maybe an Airsoft gun will be enough, scare the bad guy off? Or just point an index finger?

If it all just doesn't matter, I guess it all just doesn't matter, right? :)

--Andrew, @LawSelfDefense

Haha. :) Then why bother learning the law at all, or for that matter complying with it? Just hope for a favorably disposed prosecutor, right?

I suppose that's ONE strategy. :)

While we're on that kind of topic, why bother with the front sight? Or caliber--hey, .22 works fine, right? Hey, maybe an Airsoft gun will be enough, scare the bad guy off? Or just point an index finger?

If it all just doesn't matter, I guess it all just doesn't matter, right? :)

--Andrew, @LawSelfDefense
Golly did I get your panties all in a bunch?
WTF was all that about? Haven't seen something like that from an adult for quite some time.

For others that may not understand what I was saying,you can do all you want to be in the right.Go to classes,read the books,take all the advise you want,but when you do go to court,and you most likely will in this state,if the judge or jury leans anti gun,your argument will fall on deaf ears.
Was this so hard to see? We talk about it daily on here,how the antis make crap up to take our rights away
Man my ignore list is growing

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads