JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Iv Recently discovered reloading and was thinking about purchasing one down the road... Whats a good one to get thats at a decent price? say around 350 or so... (less the better:D) Im only reloading Handgun ammo...

I would start out with a RCBS single stage press. if you are starting from scratch then I would suggest getting the RCBS reloading kit from Bi-Mart. they have everything you would need except for the dies.

RCBS starter kit is great to learn the basics. It is slow, but if you like the process and understand how its done, a Dillon will do it much much faster.:s0155:

the dillon 550b allows u to run one round thru at a time until you know whata is doing what when,and then u can run it as a prgressive with brass at every stage. even running it one at a time you'll turn out ammo plenty fast...less than a minute per round with a little practice.more like 2 rounds per minute.
their sdb press may be a bit cheaper,but takes special dies and lacks he handroom and visibilty of the 550,and cannot do rifle.
your budget limits you a bit as you[lll still need a scale,dial caliper,etc. so a single stage like a rock chucker or the Lee cast iron press might be the way to start out.

the dillon 550b allows u to run one round thru at a time until you know whata is doing what when,and then u can run it as a prgressive with brass at every stage. even running it one at a time you'll turn out ammo plenty fast...less than a minute per round with a little practice.more like 2 rounds per minute.
their sdb press may be a bit cheaper,but takes special dies and lacks he hand-room and visibility of the 550,and cannot do rifle.
your budget limits you a bit as you[lll still need a scale,dial caliper,etc. so a single stage like a rock chucker or the Lee cast iron press might be the way to start out.

I know I'll need other things but the loader its self, i was only wanting to spend a certain amount on the re-loader its self.. I know there will me more expenses beyond that

I highly suggest anyone new to the hobby start with a single stage press. For pistol ammo, the Lee Reloader press isn't a bad start, and it only costs $20 (at least last time I checked) this press is not very strong, and if/when/once you step up to rifle ammo, I cracked mine in half. I highly recommend getting a set of RCBS carbide dies, RCBS has a killer warranty, something dillon can't claim. You break anything on those dies, and they send you new parts, for life. You jam a case, send it in for $5 they send you a new die, no questions asked.

Most importantly, buy yourself a good MANUAL scale! The RCBS 505 is a great scale and has been around for years, you can probably pick one up used for about $30-50.

For dies (about $45), a scale (about $50) and a press lee reloader ($20) you're set up. Do yourself a favor and walk before you can run. Take the cash you would save on all the other accessories that come in those kits and save up for when you're ready for a progressive. Decide whether you like it first.

If your intent is to reload handgun ammunition I would take a long close look at the Lee Classic Turret. Initially you can use it as a single stage until you gain an understanding of the process. after that if it is your pleasure to run it as it is intended, 200 rounds an hour is an easily achieved rate of production.
If you then decide that your needs are greater, in no particular order I would consider the Hornady L&L AP, The Dillon 650 or the Dillon 550

Look at your shooting needs before buying a big dillon or other progressive.

I wish I shot enough to justify buying something like that, but for me, with the quantity I shoot - a single stage press does just fine.

Unless you shoot more than a box a week (on average), the same is probably true for you. I can easily load 50-100 rounds in an evening on my single stage press.

The rockchucker press kit is the way to go from scratch, and it'll come in less than $350, even after you buy your dies.

My opinion is from a pistol perspective.

I started years ago with a Dillon Square Deal "B" loading 9 and 45. There is a learning curve as with any loader but once you get going the ability to chunk out ammo is great (I was shooting IPSC at the time and was going thru 200-300 rounds a week)

Sold the SDB and Bought a 550B cause I wanted to load 223 (currently learning with help from AMProducts). I have loaded tons of 38/357 and 45 with it and like it much better than the SDB.

A single stage would not keep up with me. However rifle is a whole nuther critter.

For me it was Lee products and they worked great. The Lee Pro 1000 do needs some playing to get it up and running good.:s0155:

LEE ANNIVERSARY PACK 90700
Breech Lock Hand Press 90685
LEE PRO 1000
3- HOLE TURRET 90497
Adjustable Charge Bar 90792

Abc's Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide For Novice To Expert
Barnes Reloading Manual
Hornady Reloading Handbook
Speer Reloading Manual

Lee Auto-Prime
Set of Shell holders 90198
Lee Powder Scale 90681

Cheap Lee stuff
<broken link removed>
Has any one tryed the Smart Relloader that midsouthshooterssupply.com sales?:confused:

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

the lee pro 1000 was my first progressive press... I loaded thousands of rounds on it, including a thousand rounds of .45ACP where about 5&#37; had no powder. Which usually means a bad day at the range. These presses are ok if you buy them surplus (I did, paid $50, with dies!) however it's a very weak design, towards the end the head of the press would slip off the ram (on the up stroke) if it encountered the slightest resistance.

These presses are marginally faster than a turret press (one shell casing, 3 operations, three handle pulls for a complete round).

The priming system always jams and seats primers backwards, the indexing is clumsy and prone to jamming. As much as I have bad things to say about this press, I did like it until I outgrew it. After that our relationship just went down hill.

I will second the start out with a single stage. The RCBS kit is great! I am also a big fan of the Hornady kit, that is what I am using now for all my rifle needs. I have a lyman turret press and never been unhappy with it. The Lee stuff does work, I personally cant stand it though. Feels cheap acts cheap and prone to breakage.
Really though, start with the single stage, learn the basics and move forward from there.

I grew up with the blue kool-aid dillon stuff, works good most of the time. The 550 is nice the 650, seems to need the great warranty they provide. Its great they always fix it for free, just inconvenient!
I have invested into the Hornady L&L Ap and never have regretted it. I works very well, comparable to the blue RL650 in capability yet little less money then the RL550. I get into the groove of it and start pushing 400 to 500 rds an hour with it. That hardest part is keeping the hoppers full. I don't have any "kits" so I have tools and equipment from all the brands.

Redding is also very nice but a little more $$ and I don't see the need.

For pistol you will want to up the money and get carbide dies so you will not need to case lube. Rifle Stuff I don't mind the case lube.

Are you only going to load for one Cal? The square deal from dillon would be a cheaper se up if only for one cal.

Above all, be safe with it. Ask questions and even better work with some one at first that is experienced in it. To me it's meditation.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads