Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whats a Decent 10mm handgun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jdiazmtx, Mar 4, 2009.

1. jdiazmtx

jdiazmtx beaverton...surrounded by suburbans Member

gonna be hitting the gun stores this saturday to look for a decent 10mm handgun to purchase.....never read much about the caliber till now and sounds to be a good caliber to shoot.....ive read that these are really high charged rounds that give the gun alot of abuse....does anyone have any opinions on which handgun would be a decent piece to pick up.....was thinking of the G20 glock or an EAA witness match 10mm.....i know theres colts out there but really not looking to spend a grand to get them....got a budget of 500-800...i will be using it primarily to target and carry in the woods...please help make my decision before saturday...thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

You might be hard pressed to find any 10mm in stock, other than the glocks.

Pretty much the only thing that fits in your price range would be glock 20 or 29, any of the EAA witnesses in 10mm, or maybe a used dan wesson RZ-10

3. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

If you are at all interested in a revolver, may I suggest a S&W 610? As far as I know, you could also shoot .40 S&W from the same firearm, and maybe save a little $$ on ammo for practice.

4. jdiazmtx

jdiazmtx beaverton...surrounded by suburbans Member

a smitty looks like a good direction to go....but looks like it may be hard to find locally.....but that is a good option.....maybe keiths has them...thanks

5. PhysicsGuy

oops I totally forgot about the 1006 and its brothers, I rarely see them for sale.

6. jddeloa67

jddeloa67 Oakridge Oregon Member

I have a Thompson auto ordnance 10 MM in a 1911 frame I love mine.

7. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

My preference is for the Glock, it's not a whole lot more than the Witness and is a very solid gun. Plus it's the one I've got. However, there aren't a whole lot of choices in 10mm and nobody really makes a bad one. Get whatever you can right now and I think you'll be happy. As far as the 610 goes, I like it and would like to get one at some point but I don't think it's a great first 10mm, I think the advantage of the 10mm is near big bore power but with higher capacity. If your going to get an N frame revolver you might as well get a .44.

8. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

The Glock 20 (or 20SF if you can find one) would probably the best bet.

I do believe all the other 10mm firearms were originally designed in a different caliber (take the Delta Elite, was originally a 45ACP, then everything else and also a 10mm). The Glock G20 was originally designed as a 10mm then "converted" to 45ACP to be the G21. It is designed to take the punishment that is the 10mm. They're great guns too.

Might check out the ARPC show in Albany this weekend.

9. PhysicsGuy

The large framed EAA witness was originally developed to handle the 10mm

10. oregon101

oregon101 Salem Member

I have a Glock 20 and love it. Has been 100% reliable and a very good shooter. I carry it mainly hunting and camping. I have an aftermarket 6inch barrel on it for extra velocity. It has served me well.

11. tuckerha

tuckerha Tucson, Arizona Member

I love that Dan Wesson RZ 10