JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats a better SHTF gun?

• Ar-10

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Ar-15

Votes: 53 69.7%

• Total voters
Too many variables to get a definetive answer here. Your age, your health physical endurance, etc. determine alot how far you can carry gear. I packed a 22LR Browning Nomad and a 44 Super Blackhawk w/50 plus rounds of ammo across Alaska for 2 weeks when I was in my 20's. That combo felt like it weighed nine pounds! My pack weighed 57 pounds, it would have weighed 48 pounds without the firepower. The first day on the trail I hiked till 3AM and I was cussing that 9 pounds all the way! I fired that 22LR twice at a grouse and missed.
I say go light, as light as possible.

I personally prefer the AR-15 because it has less kick and when you're in a SHTF situation I would like to be able to quickly train my girlfriend or family members how to shoot without startling them and you can carry a bit more ammo.

Which ever you choose, make sure you have, 1. Lots of mags 2.lots of ammo 3. spare parts to keep it running. I say AR-15 for a one rifle guy. I am a multi rifle guy, and I have both. I went with a 308 that takes SR-25 paterned mags. The military adopted the KAC, and the Armalight take propritary mags. No good in a bad situation. Magpul is my savior, cause now my mags are 20.00 vs 75-125.00.

Trism touched on it briefly, it's about your plan first then you pick your tools.

jj

I agree 100%

That being said no matter how much and how good your plan is, the actual event could be completely different than you planned for. I like to make my system work for all different situations I can think of and that means AR-15 is better for me because of: availability, ammo cost, mag cost, parts cost, weight, and acceptable ballistic performance.

I say both would be good options, depending on what situations you reasonably expect to be in. I'm a fan of the .308, but had to vote for AR-15. This is partly due to the weight, firepower, mobility thing... but also because if I had to bug out, I'd have to get out of a relatively urban area, where that .308 might be a bit "overkill." You can have too much punch with a rifle round, and the last thing I want to do is to over-penetrate, and hit something that was not intended.

If you find yourself in a situation where longer ranges and more power is needed, the .308 would be a solid option. I have a .308 bolt gun for more rural scenarios in a SHTF sort of way. No one firearm can do it all, unfortunately.

Tried carrying, 160 rnds of 308 compared to 300 rnds of 5.56, I'd take the 5.56 any day. But the 308 is a great barricade round, set a guy on the roof of an entry way, no one is gonna wanna deal with him. If you gotta move, 5.56 all the way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top