JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Whats a better SHTF gun?

• Ar-10

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Ar-15

Votes: 53 69.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
I currently have a Ar-15 for one of my main SHTF rifles. I like the fact that the ammo is light aswell as the gun. I have been thinking of selling it and getting an Ar-10 {308}. I like the idea of the distance these guns have aswell as the knock down power. Ar-10s are heavier and the ammo is aswell. There are pros and cons to each one. Any suggestions or insight. Thanks Jason

.308 is my choice. My DPMS AP4 is a 10lbs vs. my 7lb AR. 20rds of 308 weigh the same as 30rds of .223 (roughly).

It's a toss up for the weight vs. power, but if you can handle the weight and recoil of a .308, that's what I'd go with. You'd carry fewer rounds, but you may need fewer since the .308 has more kinetic energy.

I have an AR-15.... long barrel not the stubby carbine. It is good but for close work I am into my AK in 7.62 X 39 and for longer range stuff my real preference is my FN-FAL or Galil ARM in .308. You can blow chunks off of car engines. A car killer! Nice!!

Another factor to consider is how common ammunition for each will be in your area. There are many rifles chambered in .308 in the States, but because of the popularity of the AR-15, I would imagine that 5.56 is more common in the U.S., and of course cheaper. That goes for spare parts as well. I would rather have to look for a replacement AR-15 bolt than an AR-10 bolt from private parties.

Owning an AR10 and several AR15s I would have to ask if you plan to be on the move or not. If I was leading the nomadic life I would go AR15 and carry the weight in ammo, if I was to have a base camp and do scouting from there and always back to base camp I could deal with the added heft of the AR10.

Another factor to consider is how common ammunition for each will be in your area. There are many rifles chambered in .308 in the States, but because of the popularity of the AR-15, I would imagine that 5.56 is more common in the U.S., and of course cheaper. That goes for spare parts as well. I would rather have to look for a replacement AR-15 bolt than an AR-10 bolt from private parties.

Agree 100%:s0155:

AR-15, without question. Light in weight, popular and found everywhere which means parts are also. In addition it's recoil is easily enough handled by my wife.

neither - FAL. It ain't called the right arm of the free world for nothin. you get .308, and a weapon which was designed for the cartridge, unlike the AR-10. Plus, spare parts are plentiful and cheap. Just my 2 cents.

Whoops, I failed to clarify. What I meant to say is that Stoner didn't design the system with a large caliber in mind.

The original design was .308. (in 1954). It was scaled down to 5.56 when the U.S. and all other NATO countries adopted 5.56 as the standard caliber.

Thank you! Exactly, Stoner designed the AR10 .308 first in 1954-55 and when the military wanted a rifle to shoot 5.56 he scaled it down to the AR15 in 1957. So indeed the AR10 was designed for .308 from the start. :s0155:

AR-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

400px-AR-10BattleRifles.jpg

YouTube - ‪The Armalite AR-10‬‎

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads