JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I feel like it's inevitable, I'm going to own my first 308 rifle before 2019. I'm always on the lookout for a good deal, so I figure I should start looking for ammo. What're you guys paying for brass-cased, reloadable .308 / 7.62x51 these days?

It depends on what quality ammo you are looking for. I prefer brass cases over steel or plastic and I like a 168gr bullet.

I generally order Federal American Eagle or IMI when I can find it in that spec. I also enjoy shooting 145 gr PRVI/Partizan ammo. It performs well and I've never had one problem with it.

Decent quality ammo meeting the basic specs above in new 7.62x51/.308 is running around $0.77 to almost $0.89 per round at 168 gr. The lighter gr bullet from PRVI drops the price to around $0.52 a round based on a cursory search I just did on AmmoSeek. Obviously prices go up quite a bit in per round cost depending on your choice of bullets or specific manufacturers.

Brass cased remans with 168gr bullets start around $0.67 and run up to almost $1.00 per round.

For 168 grain, id check Freedom Munitions. I think they would have one of the lower prices. for ball ammo, SGammo.

you can get older NATO stuff for less then .50 a round if you dont mind the Malay stuff floating around. the German stuff is a few cents a round more but if your buying by the case, those cents add up.

We shoot a lot of MEN - German NATO stuff - my Krico likes it, but at $1.09 a pop my pocket doesn't. I only shoot it when I'm in a place where we ALL have to shoot it, IF we are shooting 7.62z51, otherwise I reload.

tac

For really good quality ammo at an affordable price, check out:
Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

Works out to .85 per round for brand new Federal 168 gr Open Tip Match ammo. Not quite as accurate as Gold Medal Match, but for $170 for 200 rounds delivered, I would go that route. (Or, I would if I didn't have a Rockchucker and a lot of components in the armory downstairs :))

PMC Bronze for "plinking" can be had for around $.50/shot (PSA). When I'm going for accuracy, I shoot Hornady Match. And then I just ignore the cost. :D

I've learned that if you are going for accuracy, shopping for "cheap" ammo doesn't cut it.

Before the hunting season starts, your looking at around .60 to 1.00 per round, once August comes around, if you shop it carefully, you can score it for around .43 to .60 a round, I even scored 620 of Fed Gold Match for .60 a round, and really good hunting ammo ( which is also very accurate) for as low as .30 a round! Even scored a metric crap ton of .30/06 At the same time, all told, almost 2000 rounds of both for an average of .61 per round total! Even manages to score some really top shelf .300 win mag for less then a buck a round, and I dont currently own a .300 :D shop around, and have a big was of cash when you stumble into a deal, it goes quick!:eek:

I buy seconds 168 grain bullets from Nosler for $15/100. I load my own at a cost of about .30 cents a round and it shoots better than any ammo out there in my gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top