JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of shooting blanks...
I was once doing a Civilian protrayal at a Civil War reenactment ... Of course for any "Live Firing" blanks are to be used.
I was using a antique rifle of mine ... one that I also hunt / compete with.
As I going thru my bag to reload...I found a round ball at the bottom of my bag....Yikes!
Now I am a smart guy ... before hand I took my ball bag out of my shooing pouch , to keep this very thing from happening.
Just goes to show pay attention when you have a gun in your hands ... even if you are shooting blanks...
Andy

I do the same as @Certaindeaf
No need for fancy ball bearings or coated rods. These are 100% organic.

IMG_9867.JPG

Just from finished using the Otis kit, and it took a lot of that brown factory gunk out. My only problem is that it is relentless, and still coming out after about 70 plus patches... I plan to shoot it then hopefully get the rest. The wire was a lot more effective than the rod I was using on my 10/22.

I'll try the caterpillars next! LoL

I tried the flexible coated wire cleaning "rods" for my Marlin model 60 .22 and hated it. The coating immediately started scraping off and I couldn't get a brass brush or patch jag to turn the corner into the bore. It wasn't Otis, but just as well known. I am afraid to try it on my lever actions. They do make brass and plastic inserts to protect your crown if you need to clean from muzzle to bore. I am ordering a couple of different sizes. I haven't found a one piece rod that I like yet, but am still looking. I do have a collection of bore snakes and haven't used them yet - don't know why other than the horror stories of getting them stuck in the barrel and not being able to remove them without a gunsmith. Yes, I clean my guns way more than most people would recommend. My Dad, who taught me everything gun, let his guns get absolutely grimy before cleaning, so I don't know why I am obsessive about clean guns.

And when my wooly caterpillar metamorphoses into a beautiful butterfly, I train it to keep the dust off my guns with its wings.

works pretty good

I carried a BoreSnake in my pack when hunting deer and elk on the OR coast. I fell one time (which will happen sometimes in that country) and fouled the bore. It cleaned things up enough to feel comfortable continuing my hunt. I gave the rifle a good cleaning when I got back in that evenning.
I use single piece rods for my long guns, stainless shorty for the handguns, and a multi-piece for the shotgun.

I tried the flexible coated wire cleaning "rods" for my Marlin model 60 .22 and hated it. The coating immediately started scraping off and I couldn't get a brass brush or patch jag to turn the corner into the bore. It wasn't Otis, but just as well known. I am afraid to try it on my lever actions. They do make brass and plastic inserts to protect your crown if you need to clean from muzzle to bore. I am ordering a couple of different sizes. I haven't found a one piece rod that I like yet, but am still looking. I do have a collection of bore snakes and haven't used them yet - don't know why other than the horror stories of getting them stuck in the barrel and not being able to remove them without a gunsmith. Yes, I clean my guns way more than most people would recommend. My Dad, who taught me everything gun, let his guns get absolutely grimy before cleaning, so I don't know why I am obsessive about clean guns.
I'm going to stick my neck out and say you've not tried Tipton or Gunslick one piece carbon rods, i hated rods until i bought these, and i was trying to use the Otis system amongst others - good for a compromise, scaled down cleaning, but if i'm at my gun bench, i want the full sized carbon rods.

Bore snakes are not new, been around for at least 100 years, and they still work quite well for quick cleaning! I carry one when hunting or for range trips when I want a quick clean. For more complete cleaning, a stainless one piece rod is what I use, carbon rods will break down with certain solvents, even those that say they are proof against, I have seen them fail, so I don't trust them! Besides the bore snakes, I never use a metal brush, only plastic and solvent followed by good patches, and light oiling when done!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top