JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm posting this because I'm curious about everyone's favorite cleaning rods.
I recently watched Ruger's cleaning tutorial on the 10/22 and they used some sort of galvanized wire that I can't seem to find anywhere, so now I'm interested.
What are your favorites and why?
Bore snake? Standard cleaning rod? How about that bore wire?

For me it depends on just how dirty the bore is.
I'll use a one piece cleaning rod of the proper matching caliber , made of stainless or wood if cleaning a muzzleloader... Or a just a bore snake at times.
Andy

I'm sure this post will end up being taken out of context ....:eek::p:D
If your bore snake gets too dirty , put it in a old sock and toss it in the washer... with it in an old sock the pull cord won't get all tangled up.
Andy

For my .22 cal guns, I still use my old multi-piece cleaning rod with patches and a brush. For pistols I have a one piece rod and bore snakes. For rifles and 12 gauge, I've got bore snakes. Would like to get some one piece rods for rifle, just haven't done it yet.

If your bore snake gets too dirty , put it in a old sock and toss it in the washer... with it in an old sock the pull cord won't get all tangled up.
Andy

Good advice, haven't heard that one before.

As for out of context, yeah, already posted ;)

Otis here. I use the 17hmr cord and it fits in any .22 action so they get cleaned chamber out. Easy peasy. A patchworm is in my travel bag.

10/22 guts. Super easy takedown. One screw, the dowels push through easy. No hammers or voodoo chants needed.

IMG_20170619_161356.jpg

Patchworm. Super easy on the bore and barrel. 20/20 Concepts shooting accessories

PatchWorm .177 cal Kit-2.jpg

The Otis wire was/is nice, but when compared to everything else and using it in different firearms, the rods are the best.

However, i also discovered that the multipiece versions are nasty - i invested in the carbon fibre one pieces versions, 3 total, one pistol, two rifle to handle all bore sizes. The proper bearings on the handles mean they turn very effectively through the rifling unlike my old alu multi piece, i'll never go back.
I have two Gunslick rods and a Tipton.

usually just a dry boresnake. sometimes after a bunch of suppressor use, i'll CLP them.

my rifles seem to shoot better with some seasoning

Last Edited:
Oh, yeah i do use Boresnakes too, but less often than the rods, sometimes in conjunction with.

I also added Jags, i find them far more effective than patch pullers.

Boresnakes for me!! The galvanized wire the OP mentions is probably the Otis cleaning kit;
Otis Rifle Cleaning Kit All Cal - MPN: FG-210-BX
I have seen a few different companies make them, but I actually bought one of these today.
Tho it seems like maybe I should have bought a one piece cleaning rod. I'll have to get some for the bolt guns I will be cleaning. Using the Ottis kit tonight, so I'll update and tell you how I like it.

I like a jag too, I mostly use that in my pistols. However I can't see how to use one on my 10/22 without taking the top off the barrel (receiver?).

Sorry for the late replies, might have missed it in the alerts.

Don't worry too much about brushing the 'wrong' way, it's more important not to change brush direction when it's still in the barrel.

In the shop, on customer guns, one piece rods, in the appropriate caliber, cleaned and properly maintained, with brass/bronze brushes, nylon brushes for copper solvent, and cotton patches on cleaning jags. To get a barrel completely clean, when a customer never has (which is usually the case), takes 45 minutes or so.

If it's my own gun, 90% of the time I run a boresnake and call it good. If it's going into long term storage, I run an oiled patch through before putting it in the safe. If it's been fired with corrosive ammo, then it's warm soapy water first to get the corrosive salts out, and then a standard powder then copper solvent cleaning.

Andy

I believe that when you scrub your snake in an old sock, the old sock becomes a "Fi Fi Bag!"

Andy, I would have thought you old Rendevousers (SPo_O) would know the term!

Last Edited:
I use Tipton stainless one piece rods. I also tend to scrub the cleaning rod more than the bore because I don't want to create a "sanding rod" instead of a cleaning rod. That's why I don't care to use a Teflon coated rod, either. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top