JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
okay, just HAD to shoot that Winchester one more time before I pack it away. ;)

about the best $25 Walmart special i think i've ever had.

EDIT: went back out with this little gem tonight... still a bargain!

Last Edited:
For SOOOOO many months, I was w/o one of my favorite plinkers...

waltherparrusJune2021b.jpg
Walther "Parrus" .177 break-barrel.

Lost the breech-seal somewhere...
waltherparrus_Oringmissing_jan2022a.jpg

I couldn't find a replacement for the life of me. Umarex, well, they were no help. If I ever hated a gun company, it's them.

Anyway, fashioned a replacement with one that was a big bigger in circumference, but fit in all other ways.
parrus_jan2022a_breechfix001.jpg

Well, I think so. Time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm out seeing if I can break it.
Here's the setup at the moment.... perhaps I'll be back later if I have anything worthy of bragging about.

parrus_jan2022a_breechfix004.jpg parrus_jan2022a_breechfix005.jpg

#pdxfrank

Me: "Honey, I'm going out back to strip, then post pictures of it on the internet."
Her: "Okay, stay warm."

i think she knows me
strippingproject2022a.jpg

EDIT: first layer off...
strippingproject2022b.jpg

... a bit later, ready for sanding.
strippingproject2022c.jpg

Aaaaaand a bit later... Starting to come to life.
strippingproject2022d.jpg

EDIT AGAIN:
well, i sure hope that works out as planned. at least the cut is okay. :) a little nick, but that'll buff out.
strippingproject2022e.jpg

a little closer. still a couple days at least from being done with it.
strippingproject2022f.jpg

TODAY'S EDIT:
not much has changed, but thought i'd share a pic of where i am in the progress...
strippingproject2022g.jpg

today's edit:
strippingproject2022h.jpg

today's update:
now it's a sit-n-wait game. letting the oil soak up nicely, be back in a week or two.
strippingproject2022i.jpg

Last Edited:
kinda lonely in here. if anyone want's to follow my work and adventures, it's a bit more active here:

i don't think i'll be updating as often here. thanks for the likes and visits.

#pdxfrank

I enjoy your posts too, Frank, but I've recently moved to a less accommodating home so I can't shoot as often.
I very much enjoyed sitting in my backyard trying to put 5-10 little pellets in to one jagged hole. :D
I could do it with an old Sheridian I used to have ! :s0053:

FOLLOW UP from above...

okay, it's almost done. just a few hours for this last finish coat to soak in, perhaps a little 0000 wool buffing, and on to the barrel assembly...

not gonna win me any awards, but it'll fit better. :)

IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1163.JPG

For SOOOOO many months, I was w/o one of my favorite plinkers...

View attachment 1110645
Walther "Parrus" .177 break-barrel.

Lost the breech-seal somewhere...
View attachment 1110646

I couldn't find a replacement for the life of me. Umarex, well, they were no help. If I ever hated a gun company, it's them.

Anyway, fashioned a replacement with one that was a big bigger in circumference, but fit in all other ways.
View attachment 1110647

Well, I think so. Time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm out seeing if I can break it.
Here's the setup at the moment.... perhaps I'll be back later if I have anything worthy of bragging about.

View attachment 1110650View attachment 1110651

#pdxfrank
Is that a Gamo-built version?

alright, final pic. good enuff. hope it still shoots! :)

strippingproject2022k.jpg

about an hour later....
Yup, still shoots. Here's a quick overview:

strippingproject2022_FINAL001.jpg

Last Edited:
An air gun site in Britain. Interesting information. I've no longer an air gun but it's entertaining.

As you might imagine, airguns of all kinds are HUGE in UK, with no less than seven monthly magazines to choose from. Remember that HFT comps were invented here, too, and the silverware, although staying away from time to time, more often stays here.

AirArms is British, BTW, in case anybody has heard of them.

Anybody desperate for any of the UK airgun magazines, give me a call and I'll see what I can do about it.

Hi, Frank I have a question, if a breech seal fails, can I replace it with an O Ring from a hardware store?
Thank's.
Al.
Speaking as a person that spent a good part of life working with seals (machining parts for numerous seals) I'd conjecture not. An O ring needs complete support, and I'm thinking every time you opened the rifle you would need check that O ring to insure it hadn't fallen out. And then, it wouldn't seal the same as the original seal. But I'm open to debate.

Frank - Umarex USA allegedly has breech seals and stuff for your Parrus.
Thanks! But me and Umarex don't seem to get along. Finally after some back-n-forth, they wanted to charge me for the breech seal on my "lifetime warranty" gun. I just picked up a solution elsewhere.

Handsome gun, fires beautifully now that I've done work on it. Sold it already, one less Umarex product to deal with.

I've sold off almost everything of theirs, gotta couple pistols to sell later and I'll have all their crap outta here. Just too many years of too many disappointments.

Hard to avoid too, since they're family includes so many licenses:
Beretta, Colt, Glock, Browning, Hammerli, H&K, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, RWS and even Walther (not Lothar, the other guy), others I'm sure.

That's a lot of fun to avoid, but oh well, the frustrations aren't worth it. Lots of potential but lack quality control and customer service IMO.

Don't have the same issues with Crosman, Daisy/Gamo, ASG, well, heck, just about anything has been better to me than Umarex. And that's 100+ guns into the hobby.

/soapbox

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top