JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't share finances with mine. If I can afford it, I do it. I don't ask. I will occasionally show and tell though. I'm a traditional type guy, and I cover more than my fair share of the expenses. I've never once referred to her as "the boss" or asked permission or otherwise. Of course, she's probably got divorce papers stashed somewhere. :rolleyes:

I don't share finances with mine. If I can afford it, I do it. I don't ask. I will occasionally show and tell though. I'm a traditional type guy, and I cover more than my fair share of the expenses. I've never once referred to her as "the boss" or asked permission or otherwise. Of course, she's probably got divorce papers stashed somewhere. :rolleyes:

Divorce papers are nothing. When you run across that $ 500,000 life insurance policy on you, you will know that your azz is toast before long. Let us know how the sleeping with one eye open thing works after a week or so.

Even though my guns and knives go to my son, he does not have a handle on the monetary value of some of them. He does know which of our close friends to consult should he need to sell some. They are good friends and will help him out should the need arise.

Divorce papers are nothing. When you run across that $ 500,000 life insurance policy on you, you will know that your azz is toast before long. Let us know how the sleeping with one eye open thing works after a week or so.

I've been doing that for years, bro. :)

My wife is normally with me when I buy guns.. her only complaint is that my gun count is higher than hers.. so i keep reminding her to change that.. she has some money in a separate bank account.. lol, I just dont think anything has caught her fancy yet.
Next thing you know you will come home to an M4A3E2 "Jumbo" and a Panther D in your driveway and she will pull the "you said" card. And for those who don't know...
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG

We have a mutual understanding, the wife and I, she has a thing for purses, shoes and coats... I have a thing for guns... We've worked out the annual spend on our respective interests...

I maintain an inventory spreadsheet with expected values for all arms as well as the stockpile of factory ammo. She knows to contact my closest friend to assist with liquidation and ensure she gets fair market value...

She'll be all set when I kick off, she'll be an instant millionaire, thanks to more than sufficient insurance policies... Watched my mom struggle when my dad passed and swore I'd never let that happen to my wife and children.

I saw this on another forum and got such a good chuckle from it I thought I'd rip it off and share it. A little too close to the truth?

View attachment 365459

Not even close.

First, my ex is my ex.

Second, what I pay for anything will not matter if I get married again because it is my money, I earned it, and if she has any problems with that then she will be my second ex.

Third - my guns go to my daughter and she has been told to never ever sell them.

I have never lied about how much or little I paid for a gun.
It is what it is and I can either afford said gun , save up for it or pass on the sale...

Having a list of real world values of the guns I own is nice ... if I were to die before my wife , it helps her to decide who gets what and at a fair price.
Andy

She'll be all set when I kick off, she'll be an instant millionaire, thanks to more than sufficient insurance policies... Watched my mom struggle when my dad passed and swore I'd never let that happen to my wife and children.

This is a good strategy and I applaud you for making sure your family is taken care of, as many do not. But this can be a short term strategy for a fixed time period or need. We took out life insurance policies on each other about 10 years ago. 1 million on me and 500K on the wife. The main reason was to cover any business problems that would arise if either of us died. The business was doing about a million a year, so that was barely enough but at least instant tax free cash.

These were term life policy with a term of 10 years. That ten years is now here and we met with the shyster...errrr agent last week. He said mine was non renewable because of my health issues and the wifes had to be converted to another policy, which they could do for mine as well for the small sum of $ 500 per month each. 250K death benefit and a payback of $ 13,000 a year starting in 15 years. Hello, we call these Roth IRAs. Just not one we could control and the fing insurance company got all the profits. :eek::eek:

Our needs have changed since the business days. We no longer have the business and hence the need for 1 million cash is not there. We are within a year of paying off the mortgage on this place and buying another for cash. If anything was to happen to either of us, the other has sufficient cash to cover expenses. The presence of that policy was comforting to me in my illness since I knew the wife would be fine and the kids would get something.

I had hoped to be able to keep the policy and have that as my kids inheritance, but not paying that much for that coverage. Since my kids now all make well more than I did at their age they are on their own. There will be some guns, personal property, old pickup, vintage airplane and such for them and depending on how I do in the real estate market the next 6 years or so maybe some property.

We are taking the same amount we were paying in life insurance and putting it into one of our Roth IRAS, self managed and building the wealth for ourselves instead of that shyster agent who probably gets the first years premiums as a commission. Make sure you check this all out and have a strategy for that if you are using term insurance.

That ten years went by real fast.

This is a good strategy and I applaud you for making sure your family is taken care of, as many do not. But this can be a short term strategy for a fixed time period or need. We took out life insurance policies on each other about 10 years ago. 1 million on me and 500K on the wife. The main reason was to cover any business problems that would arise if either of us died. The business was doing about a million a year, so that was barely enough but at least instant tax free cash.

These were term life policy with a term of 10 years. That ten years is now here and we met with the shyster...errrr agent last week. He said mine was non renewable because of my health issues and the wifes had to be converted to another policy, which they could do for mine as well for the small sum of $ 500 per month each. 250K death benefit and a payback of $ 13,000 a year starting in 15 years. Hello, we call these Roth IRAs. Just not one we could control and the fing insurance company got all the profits. :eek::eek:

Our needs have changed since the business days. We no longer have the business and hence the need for 1 million cash is not there. We are within a year of paying off the mortgage on this place and buying another for cash. If anything was to happen to either of us, the other has sufficient cash to cover expenses. The presence of that policy was comforting to me in my illness since I knew the wife would be fine and the kids would get something.

I had hoped to be able to keep the policy and have that as my kids inheritance, but not paying that much for that coverage. Since my kids now all make well more than I did at their age they are on their own. There will be some guns, personal property, old pickup, vintage airplane and such for them and depending on how I do in the real estate market the next 6 years or so maybe some property.

We are taking the same amount we were paying in life insurance and putting it into one of our Roth IRAS, self managed and building the wealth for ourselves instead of that shyster agent who probably gets the first years premiums as a commission. Make sure you check this all out and have a strategy for that if you are using term insurance.

My wife and I both took out term policies when we were 33. Got 30 year term. Figured that would get me to retirement age, or at least close, where pensions could then kick in. That was 15 years ago, I think I would have a much harder time, health-wise trying to get that now. Glad we thought ahead at that time. I wish the policies had been a bit higher, but my wife could live off of it for a number of years if needed. Her policy is smaller, but I'm the only one bringing in an income, so hers would be more to help me with child care, etc.

To anyone reading, get your insurance while you're young and healthy, and get the longest term they will offer.

I have a simple (not term) life insurance policy at work for - I think - $150K. I pay about $1200 a year for that. It is for short term cash for my daughter if something happens to me. It would be enough for her to take care of immediate expenses until such time as she is able to sell my property and get setup with the IRA/401K/etc.

Yeah, I don't buy term insurance, I put as much as I can into my Roth and 401K and then there is my plain IRA and my equity in my house. Between the equity, my cash, my insurance and my Roth, she should be able to pay off her mortgage and have some left over. At that point then she should get the 401k/IRA over the rest of her lifetime.

^^^ This is good advice!

My wife and I both took out term policies when we were 33. Got 30 year term. Figured that would get me to retirement age, or at least close, where pensions could then kick in. That was 15 years ago, I think I would have a much harder time, health-wise trying to get that now. Glad we thought ahead at that time. I wish the policies had been a bit higher, but my wife could live off of it for a number of years if needed. Her policy is smaller, but I'm the only one bringing in an income, so hers would be more to help me with child care, etc.

To anyone reading, get your insurance while you're young and healthy, and get the longest term they will offer.
I can't preach enough, always get the longest term you can, get more than you think you'll need, don't neglect other forms of securing your future. Don't depend on Social Security....

Going back to the original main line of discussion, this is why I list both "price paid" and MSRP at time of purchase in my spreadsheet, and have a column for "percent saved"--kind of a game the GF and I have about who can score the best percentage-off that week. (Shoulda bought one of those 90%-off pink Sig Braces, it woulda been an immediate "I WIN." :) )

It doesn't matter much what I paid for my firearms; in the future, most will be worth as much or more than what I paid for them. Some exceptions, but even then, they will be worth what they are worth on the market.

That said, I don't intend to sell any and my strong advice to my daughter is to not sell any either. I am hoping she won't ever have to.

At that point then she should get the 401k/IRA over the rest of her lifetime.

Great way to pass money to the next generation. The wife was fortunate enough to inherit a nice IRA account when her mother passed away. She has to take minimum distributions each year, but she just rolls those over into her other IRA that she rolled her PERS into about 10 years ago. We do not need either one right now and they roll with the market as that is how they are invested. They make more than the distribution so that is good.

It was a great thing for her mother to do, she left the other 2 kids as well. It was one big IRA account divided three ways. What a great gift to leave your children.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top