JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I exchanged a couple of emails with Rep. Post regarding HB 2251. I shared my proposed amendment ideas with him which he said would not change his intent to vote "No" on the bill if it is raised in committee (my intent was not to change anybody's mind). The way he described "IF this bill reaches committee" led me to believe he has some doubt about whether it will be put to a vote in the committee. In my view it's hard to imagine that it would not be but Rep. Post is there and I am here and I respect his assessment of the situation. He indicated that there is at least one Democrat on the committee that he is pretty confident would be a "no" vote on HB 2251. The committee has 11 members. Four are Republicans 7 are Democrats. Assuming his assumption is right and one Democrat is a "no" vote, we could defeat HB 2251 by flipping one more Democrat to a "no" vote.
The more letters and communications we can send to the Democrats in the committee the better chance we have at either flipping another vote or getting
Chair Rep. Williamson to shelve the bill all together. Both options seem like long shots but Rep Post seems to think it's a possibility.

I plan to attack the bill from the stand point that it is very ambiguous and could apply to every semi-auto rifle ever made and to rimfire rifles as well. It could even apply to manual loading rifles depending on how you interpret the language. I'll throw in my typical complaints about how it will only punish honest responsible gun owners for the acts of a few criminals. I am going be polite and concise as possible and send it to all 7 Democrats on the committee. If it ends up making it out of committee I will rinse and repeat by sending similar letters to the remainder of the Democrats in the House and any Rhino type Republicans. Here are the links to the Democrat Legislators on the house Judiciary Committee:

(Head Honcha has power to shelve bill if she wants too) Chair House Democratic Leader Jennifer Williamson
(former LEO) Vice-Chair Representative Chris Gorsek
Member Representative Jeff Barker
Member Representative Janelle Bynum
Member Representative Mitch Greenlick
(former police chief Gresham) Member Representative Carla Piluso
Member Representative Karin Power

Last Edited:
Here are my proposed amendment ideas that should eliminate rifles void of evil banned features except for forend, rimfire rifles, manual loading rifles and "other firearms" from being defined as "assault weapons" :

The following language is in Page 2 and begins on line 31, it would clear up the ambiguity regarding whether rimfire rifles and manual loading rifles are exempt from the "assault rifle" definition.

Original language:
C) A copy or duplicate of a firearm described in paragraph (a)(A) or (B) of this subsection with the same capability as the copied or duplicated firearm;

Proposed amended language:
C) A copy or duplicate of a selective-fire or semiautomatic centerfire rifle described in paragraph (a)(A) or (B) of this subsection with the same capability as the copied or duplicated centerfire rifle;

There is one additional line on Page 2 and begins on line 14. It provides a definition of a "forward pistol grip" but the description leaves it open to covering the forend of the rifle which would mean that nearly every rifle in existence could be considered as having a "forward pistol grip". I have provided a more accurate description of a "forward pistol grip" and would greatly appreciate it if you would also put this language forth as an amendment.

Original language:
(8) "Forward pistol grip" means a feature on a firearm capable of functioning as a grip
that can be held by the nontrigger hand.

Proposed amended language:
(8) "Forward pistol grip" means a feature protruding beyond the surface of the forend on a firearm capable of functioning as a grip
that can be held by the nontrigger hand.

Last Edited:
Bill is a straight shooter imo and is my rep here in Keizer. Any idea who he thought would note no? Barker I would think is a no but what other D would be best to harass the most?

Bill is a straight shooter imo and is my rep here in Keizer. Any idea who he thought would note no? Barker I would think is a no but what other D would be best to harass the most?
Your guess was right on the money. He did not give me any other suggestions on which other dem might be persuaded to vote no. I am sending letter out to Rep. Williamson shortly. I sent one to Rep. Gorsek yesterday. I will send the others letters tomorrow.

Got tomorrow off o I'll get to calling and writing. Bucked off a ton of calls and letters last week and the week before. My state senator and rep a not worth calling or writing to sway their vote as I have Thacher and Post so they are solidly in our corner.

I emailed all 7 of the democrats on the House Judiciary Committee. Some got long letters and some got short letters. Hopefully this bill gets shelved but if it is moved forward hopefully it gets amended.

If anyone has a friendly legislator, ask them to submit an amendent, or propose one aloud, ON CAMERA, an amendment that no security staff of any state politician can possess any magazine or weapon banned by "this law" while on duty guarding said politician. Make sure that is on camera and try to get the facial expressions of the politicians.

I emailed all 7 of the democrats on the House Judiciary Committee. Some got long letters and some got short letters. Hopefully this bill gets shelved but if it is moved forward hopefully it gets amended.

Just sent my emails to HB 2251 committe members.

Thought another quote from A FIVE-MINUTE HANDBOOK FOR GUN-RIGHTS ACTIVISTS* was relevant:

THERE IS NO FINAL VICTORY. Preserving RKBA
is an ongoing PROCESS. We are winning and
losing battles during this process, but the war will
never be over. Becoming active to keep your gun
rights is a lot like cleaning your house: it's
thankless and boring work, but necessary. Like
dirt, the anti-gun crowd will just keep coming
back. Forever. Your activism will keep us winning
more than losing. Our opponents count on
wearing us down. They love it when one of us (not
you, of course) gets discouraged and drops out.
When you fully understand and accept the reality
that RKBA is a never-ending struggle, you're
automatically in the top five percent of all RKBA
defenders. Congratulations.

RKBA = Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Copyright © 2000 by [email protected]. All rights reserved.
Reproduction or distribution is permitted
with this copyright notice attached.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top