JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Local shop has a Browning Hi Power. 1960 vintage from an estate. Looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Unlikely its unfired but its as close to being NIB as Ive seen. All original not refinished , crisp bluing without a spot on it or rub mark anywhere. 2 original mags. Its a 9mm and he has a matching 30 cal from the same estate but I'm not interested in it. I know what they want for it. What do you think its worth?

I sold one two years ago that sounds exactly like what your looking at.
It even came in a factory Browning soft pouch. It sold for $850.00 cash.

Are you saying exactly 1960 or around that time? I'm not an expert so don't quote me but I believe the thumb print went away around '58 and they went from internal to external extractors among other things around '62. Then the T series starts around '64. Condition is everything and a HiPower that old as nice as you describe is not real common.

Prices have been all over the place. If it truly is as nice as you say I think the right buyer would pay >$1K. Sitting in a gun shop around here I would expect to see an asking price around $899-999 with no takers.

I like to shoot mine so I tend to stick with the newer ones. If I was specifically looking for a safe queen I think I would be happy to get a 1960 in real nice condition for $800. I would never shoot it.

I had a nice one. But I'm not much for the design.

So I sold it for about $800 five years ago and bought my GSD. :D

Best decision I ever made. And I don't miss it.
Now I kept my 1911A1's! he's not that good of a dog.;)

Last Edited:
I had a nice one. But I'm not much for the design.

So I sold it for about $800 five years ago and bought my GSD. :D

Best decision I ever made. And I don't miss it.
Now I kept my 1911A1's! he's not that good of a dog.;)
I would have made that deal. I think they are beautiful pieces but not as much fun as a big mutt:rolleyes:
Far from an expert on HPs but I've seen plenty nice ones around the 1k mark and they don't move fast.
Sometimes they do but mostly they move at around $600.
The expencive old ones don't sell fast that often
I'd go with the '46 HS myself.
Or both if I had your money:D

Or both if I had your money:D

When I was a kid and I wanted ANYTHING my dad always used to say " You can have whatever you can afford". That meant no. Now that I'm all growed up I use the other meaning which is "I can have whatever I can afford" .

Stay in school kids.

I WAS sure what the date was going by what the dealer told me ( never do that BTW ) but the seller gave me the serial number and i looked it up. 1977 manufacturer. I'm not paying $975 for a 1977 .

You are really rolling the dice with 70's and 80's Colts. Any unionized American company from that period really. That was the era where the unions were falling apart, inflation was running strong and the economy was in the toilet. Sit down strikes and work stoppages were rampant. Ive seen some pretty abysmal crap that came out of Colt in that time period.

Last Edited:
I've always thought Belgian and Japanese made Browning's top-notch. I think only some of the long guns are made in Miroku, Japan these days.. not (fully) in Belgium.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top