JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a situation that will change your outlook forever. The criminals already had formed intent, and were entering the interviewing process. The interviewing process step one was to enter the driveway and see if they were challenged. If not challenged, then they will proceed to the next step, and try to gain control of the situation. If I see two strangers coming up my driveway, my experience tells me to go to an immediate high level. They have no reason to enter my property uninvited or unchallenged.

I am likely more paranoid that most people, since I have been in this same situation before. I am never without a gun on me. Never. If I see those guys I am going to command them to stop, while going to ready draw. If they do not stop, I am probably going to draw the gun, not point, but draw. If you can stop the threat early in the interview process, you will not have to go further offensive.

I was approached by an individual in my driveway early one Saturday morning. He had some sh*t story, and I told him to stop where he was. Then I told him to get off my property. He then took a couple steps toward me, I told him to get the f*** off my property, pulled my jacket back and put my hand on my weapon. I kept yelling at him to get the f*** off, and acted like a crazy man. You have to talk to them in a language they understand. He turned and left, and was picked up down the road by a car with 3 other individuals in it. The yelling brought the attention of my wife and big dog to come to the porch. The dog would have easily attacked if she released him, buying her time to get a weapon as well.

I did not know this person, who I was unconcerned with offending him in any manner. Being aware of your surroundings, have a healthy dose of doubt and mistrust of strangers, and having rehearsed in my mind a lot of tactical situations, you just have to keep training and educating yourself. Being interviewed by the news media is another thing I probably would take a pass on as well.

There is a lot of great advice in this thread, shooter 58 and Salted Weapons are worth reading for sure. All it takes is one experience to make you very aware of how this all can happen. I have been in 3 of those situations in the last 30 years.

OK remember that the victim was in his garage, he was outside mabye with his back turned. Not sure an alarm would do much good because he was outside in his detached garage and the home alarm was probably off. I feel confident in my ability to defend myself inside my home but this is a different animal. The victim was outside, forced into his home at gunpoint by 2 men.
This is why I carry all the time, (even working around the yard) except when in bed, and then something isn't too far away!
I've been in one situation that required I show I was armed and I sure don't want it to happen again but if it does......

Having a gun on his side may have done it.

BUT! If he had been watching out and drawn or at least had his hand on the weapon when they came in the drive,they most definitely would have looked for another target....
.....Ready to shoot them when you see the guns being drawn.

The only time I open carry used to be up in the woods...

Mjbskwim and a few others have contributed to this and a few other threads that have convinced me that I have been being too concerned about startling other people.

I still don't like "IN YOUR FACE" type actions, but I definitely understand this a bit better now. Thanks for the post.

There's no way to know what you should do until you find yourself in that kind of situation. If you have had serious training, your training will lead your response. There is no one-size-fits-all response to use of force. Get training (not target practice). If you've had training, get more. Train, practice, repeat.

The dog has helped man with early detection for more than 10,000 years. All my dog needs to do is bark. I will do the rest. Allso with all the uber small light guns. You should have one on you at all times. I have a Seecamp or LCP cliped in my sweats even when lounging around. At least I can fight my way to the handgun next to my chair. Then use that to fight my way to a rifle if nessary. If you have a lot of guns you can't let them go unguarded. They can't get in the wrong hands. I swear buy my dog. The one I have now would have eaten one or both crack heads. Thats if they did not go still after entering my house without permission. Though I very much doubt an average bad guy would have tried to get in after he heard what was waiting behind the door.
Sometimes all you need to do is not be the easiest target on the block. People that get attacked are folks that somehow look weak. Or at least dont project any kind of image of strength.
Even a good lap bog can warn you in time to let you react. An better control the situation. That can prevent things from esculating in the first place.

Others have made some good comments. For me, it really depends. I live in a subdivision, but if my daughter was in the house, I would make my play outside to minimize the danger to her. There is no way I let two armed tweakers into my home with her inside. If the house is empty, I would probably wait until I thought I had the best chance to catch them by surprise and then draw.

My 2cents..... Train and play, IPSC, IDPA, 3 Gun. Have more than 1 gun stashed at different parts of ur home and have CTC laser grips on them also at least 100 Lumen flashlights stashed with weapons.

When seconds count... Help is just MINUTES AWAY!!!!!

I agree with fxdc / My 2 Cents....

This guy was very lucky things did not take a different turn, I am sure there would be some folks sorry for him had a tweaker taken his life or ruined the rest of it due to lead poisoning or a broken spine for example.
I don't think he had much of a choice as there was no reference as to him being armed. Which in this case raises the question about there finding more arms up stairs and possible escalating the situation.

Given the range in which this indecent took place, If I were armed and there was a long enough distraction for me to act and I knew for sure I could clear the holster to his head or chest [from either side] for three or more, I would try to take him out. Clearly, only if timing allowed for a better than average chance that I would be alive to face the next opponent, would I try to reduce the odds in my favor. One must take into consideration the outcome has not yet been revealed and this is your life or death at hand.
During all of my consideration before hand my next move would have gotten me outside as fast as possible in a defensive and protected space and if not a shoot out inside the garage would have been next. My only three second advantage would be if the first guy went down. I would not be the one looking to see what just happened I would be waiting for the shot at the door.

I don't see the above scenario as a favorable situation and hope to never find myself in this situation. Statically once someone starts to order you to do something and they have a weapon the outcome is bleak and even more so for a woman.

I have had one incident involving someone trying to stab me with a knife. Thankfully I was able to get out of it without making a mistake. The real experience was I did not loose my nerve and kept my target a target throughout the ordeal waiting for the moment he would step into the box.

Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads