JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would stop shooting .22 RF long before that happened. I have about 30K of .22 RF, about 24K of that is inexpensive bulk ammo - so if I shot 100 rounds a month, I have enough bulk ammo to last me the rest of my life. The rest is hunting ammo of one sort or another, and once I test the match quality hunting ammo to find which is best, I will stock up on that more than I currently have (a couple thousand now).

If it came to that, we would be way worse off than we are now.
I would trade 3 rounds for a fresh head shot squirell. Read of this in a post apoc. story years ago. Made sense.

Same thing I would do like the last time we had a shortage of 22LR.
  • Forget about 22 and continue shooting all my other calibers.
  • Rediscover how cool my other pistols and rifles are and be thankful I still have them.
  • Think about whether I want to dig into my existing stash of 22 (about the size of @The Heretic 's)
  • Gnash teeth, rend clothes, wail loudly, like a mourner at Kim Jong-il's funeral, at the death of 22LR and the loss of joy in my life.
Or, most likely, not notice - and when I see a thread title like the one for this thread, question under my breath, "there's a 22LR shortage?"

I won't see that happen to me even if they stopped making it today. At my age and the supply on hand I have enough to keep me shooting for the rest of my life. Whoever inherits my supply of 22 ammo after I shuffle off this world may end up contemplating this problem depending on how wasteful they are ...

I can't see that happening to my husband or to me.

We planned ahead and we do not go below a specific amount of RF stock. We will always keep a bare minimum level of RF stock on hand in 22lr and in 22wmr ammunition.

What size box of 22lr is it? Small - 50 to 100 rounds, small bulk box of 333 or whatever, a full size BRICK which equals 500 rounds or a BRICK PLUS size box of 525 or 550 rounds?

I don't hunt so I would not use it there.

I would stop plinking or shooting 22lr for pleasure. I am NO longer a high volume shooter too.

My husband would no longer shoot 22lr firearms IF he was down to 1 box of 22lr ammo! He would concentrate on his CF firearms, his CF reloading and shoot LESS there too.

I would keep the 1 box of 22lr and keep my one and only 22lr rifle. I would keep my 22wmr ammo and keep my one and only 22wmr rifle. (I only own 2 rifles anyway.)

If HE thought that 22lr ammunition would NEVER be made again in this world - I do not know for sure what he would do to be frank with you. I have an idea. He is not home now so I can't ask him.

If I thought that 22lr ammunition would NEVER EVER be made again, if I knew it AHEAD OF TIME and it was in the news - HONEST NEWS, I would change some things in our home when it came to some firearms and ammunition. I would reconsider a LOT there.

I would still want 1 self defense firearm (Or 2!) and a basic amount of ammunition to feed it even if it was at a much LOWER LEVEL.

My basic self defense firearm IS in a 22wmr rifle now even though I have a matching 22lr rifle in the same CZ brand and style.

I would still KEEP all of my knives, my axes and 'hawks. My husband would keep all or MOST (?) of his knives, axes and 'hawks too.

He might get a shotgun again but most likely NOT if he still had all or most of his CF firearms left to shoot.

He might get a black powder rifle but he really does NOT want to ADD more STUFF in our home unless he SUBTRACTS something FIRST.

I am more of a Minimalist than he is even though we agree on a LOT and more in some specific things as WE AGE.

Old Lady Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top