JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would stop shooting .22 RF long before that happened. I have about 30K of .22 RF, about 24K of that is inexpensive bulk ammo - so if I shot 100 rounds a month, I have enough bulk ammo to last me the rest of my life. The rest is hunting ammo of one sort or another, and once I test the match quality hunting ammo to find which is best, I will stock up on that more than I currently have (a couple thousand now).

If it came to that, we would be way worse off than we are now.
I would trade 3 rounds for a fresh head shot squirell. Read of this in a post apoc. story years ago. Made sense.

Same thing I would do like the last time we had a shortage of 22LR.
  • Forget about 22 and continue shooting all my other calibers.
  • Rediscover how cool my other pistols and rifles are and be thankful I still have them.
  • Think about whether I want to dig into my existing stash of 22 (about the size of @The Heretic 's)
  • Gnash teeth, rend clothes, wail loudly, like a mourner at Kim Jong-il's funeral, at the death of 22LR and the loss of joy in my life.
Or, most likely, not notice - and when I see a thread title like the one for this thread, question under my breath, "there's a 22LR shortage?"

I won't see that happen to me even if they stopped making it today. At my age and the supply on hand I have enough to keep me shooting for the rest of my life. Whoever inherits my supply of 22 ammo after I shuffle off this world may end up contemplating this problem depending on how wasteful they are ...

I can't see that happening to my husband or to me.

We planned ahead and we do not go below a specific amount of RF stock. We will always keep a bare minimum level of RF stock on hand in 22lr and in 22wmr ammunition.

What size box of 22lr is it? Small - 50 to 100 rounds, small bulk box of 333 or whatever, a full size BRICK which equals 500 rounds or a BRICK PLUS size box of 525 or 550 rounds?

I don't hunt so I would not use it there.

I would stop plinking or shooting 22lr for pleasure. I am NO longer a high volume shooter too.

My husband would no longer shoot 22lr firearms IF he was down to 1 box of 22lr ammo! He would concentrate on his CF firearms, his CF reloading and shoot LESS there too.

I would keep the 1 box of 22lr and keep my one and only 22lr rifle. I would keep my 22wmr ammo and keep my one and only 22wmr rifle. (I only own 2 rifles anyway.)

If HE thought that 22lr ammunition would NEVER be made again in this world - I do not know for sure what he would do to be frank with you. I have an idea. He is not home now so I can't ask him.

If I thought that 22lr ammunition would NEVER EVER be made again, if I knew it AHEAD OF TIME and it was in the news - HONEST NEWS, I would change some things in our home when it came to some firearms and ammunition. I would reconsider a LOT there.

I would still want 1 self defense firearm (Or 2!) and a basic amount of ammunition to feed it even if it was at a much LOWER LEVEL.

My basic self defense firearm IS in a 22wmr rifle now even though I have a matching 22lr rifle in the same CZ brand and style.

I would still KEEP all of my knives, my axes and 'hawks. My husband would keep all or MOST (?) of his knives, axes and 'hawks too.

He might get a shotgun again but most likely NOT if he still had all or most of his CF firearms left to shoot.

He might get a black powder rifle but he really does NOT want to ADD more STUFF in our home unless he SUBTRACTS something FIRST.

I am more of a Minimalist than he is even though we agree on a LOT and more in some specific things as WE AGE.

Old Lady Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads