JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I was at a gun shop yesterday just browsing around and an old guy came in with a handful of guns. He tells the employee that he has "too many guns and needs to thin the herd". The employee asks if he wants to consign or cash out. The guy says he needs cash. They look at his two pistol and tell him that they can pay 60% of what they would sell them for and then begin to describe how they came up with their low ball offer. Then he pulls out the two rifles. One is NIB Rossi 1873 45LC and the other is a Pedersoli 45/70 with a nice lyman ladder sight that is like new. They tell him they these don't move very fast so they would rather consign them then cash out. Then he says he needs cash today and would they take $500. The employee says "for each one?". The guy says "no, for both of them". Of course they say yes. I estimate the retail value at over $2,000 for these. I know the gun shop needs to make a living and this guy needs cash today, but I've been looking to add these two rifles to my collection for a while. The guy then says he has ammo to throw in and needs to get it out of his car. I follow him outside and tell him that I am interested in his two rifles and would offer him more than they did. He felt like he had already made a deal with them and suggested that I offer them $50 over what he sold them. I talked to the employee at the gun shop and he said they couldn't sell them until they had them inventoried and they would be listed at "retail prices". I pushed a little, but no luck.

What should I have done? Spoke earlier? What would you have done.

Thanks for any input. I probably just need to let this go, but I'm having a hard time doing so.

If it was something I really wanted and it was at a great price, I would've stored my manners and interjected myself into the conversation. It sounded like he was just selling them to anyone and it doesn't sound like he was selling to a buddy at the store.

Manners go on the backseat when it comes to something like that.

... What's the worst that's going to happen?

1. The man realizes there's somebody willing to pay more.
2. The store asks you to leave.
3. The man says excuse me.. and goes outside and sells you the guns.
4. you never go back there again.

depends on if you want to have bubblegumty relations with that store. you're basically poaching their business if they've agreed on a price. I've seen plenty of crazy deals happen infront of me at various shops...all I have to do is sit and wait to hope the seller scoffs and walks away then catch them in the parking lot.

Just an example of the typical gun shop protocol. Any gun a customer wants to sell to the shop is undesirable, and the store is doing you a big favor by taking your junk off your hands... for a fraction of its actual value. If you, as a customer, want to trade, any gun that you want from them is highly desirable and flies off the shelves, even at inflated prices.

I mean, I understand they can't give you full value, or else they'd have to sell it at price far above full value, and it will be unlikely anyone will ever buy it from them, I just don't like being BS'd. One time I tried to sell a revolver to a shop. I typically see that gun sell for around $175 on gunbroker, the guy told me it was just about worthless and he'd probably be able to get $75 for it at best, so he offered me $20 for it. Some time later, I see that exact model of gun in that same shop, in condition that's not in any way better, selling for $200.

Guess it's one thing to give you 60% of fair market value, but 10% ? No thanks.

I'd have snorted and explained that the value was much higher if he wanted to take the time to list them online. If not, hey man I'll pay you x more than they would since I've been looking for exactly those models. Gun shops are out for a profit of course, but if they were lowballing into the realm of sleaze I'd have no issue with butting in to help the guy out...regardless of my future ability to enter that gun shop.

I'd be really impressed to find any gunshop that actually pays 60% of retail value for "used" guns in perfect condition! In my experience at two "large" Porland gunshops I was offered less than 30% of comparable retail value. This was about eighteen months ago when I was stone broke and had to sell my treasures. I did not give them any clue that I actually knew gun values, so they basically tried to rob me with pathetic lowball offers. They condescended to offer me a consignment of $700 for my best rifle---a couple of months later I sold that very rifle on an internet messageboard for $1400! And the buyer jumped on it, giddy to get such a bargain price. Sellers beware of gunshop offer thievery---they kick you when you are down!.........................elsullo

I would have tripped over myself and told that guy I would give him more money and I would even let him go with me shooting so he can still have a relationship with them. I would remind him that the gun store is screwing him and is going to make a ridiculous profit off from his hard times. I would even show him my CHL and offer to let the gun shop do a background check so he doesn't think their going to some dirt bag.

If a sale is initiated in a gun shop, you cannot turn it into a private transaction.
I had a similar thing happen in the Philomath gun shop and right after I asked the owner got angry and said I could buy the gun after he'd called the ATF, police and had me arrested.
I need to find the statute pertaining to this but I don't think he was just trying to scare me.
I think it's similar to the gun show rule if it initiates in a place with 25+ guns it needs FFL.

If a sale is initiated in a gun shop, you cannot turn it into a private transaction.
I had a similar thing happen in the Philomath gun shop and right after I asked the owner got angry and said I could buy the gun after he'd called the ATF, police and had me arrested.
I need to find the statute pertaining to this but I dong think he was just trying to scare me.
I think it's similar to the gun show rule if it initiates in a place with 25+ guns it needs FFL.

Sounds like the owner was blowing smoke.

If a person goes in to a gun store to sell a gun and they offer me 200 and a legitamite individual coughs and says he will give me 300... I would think a person would be free to make up his own mind and make a private party transaction with a bill of sale, if he chooses too (in another location of course), lol. You probably won't make to many friends with the gun shop this way. If one wanted to they could even call the gun in to the state to make sure all is ok.

In response to an earlier post: The Gun Broker in Clackamas does offer 60% of the used price that they will sell the gun for (70% on trade). Although I have seen a few used guns come in at amazing prices and only to see the price go up a bit later. As a whole I have found them to be the quite fair.

I have found pawn shops to offer about 30% and Keith's offers a little bit over them. Interesting enough Keith's has good prices and most pawn shops I have been to do not price their guns well.

Pretty ballsy if you ask me. Man has a business , customers come to the business and asks to sell a product to business to re-sell .2 nd customer interjects himself into the equation and tries to cheap buy the same product . Business owner throws rude jerk into the street and continues to do business with people who respect the right of an independent business person to make a living. He has the business , storefront , overhead , liability risk , payroll etc. and you think it's ok to go into a bidding war on his property ? Why is it not ok for a gun store to make a decent profit ? Would you go into any other business and try to take their customers away ? What level of profit is acceptable for a business owner to make ? He is not buying that gun to take home and cuddle with , it is merely a commodity to him to sell and make money to pay his bills and feed his kids. This is why there are so few independent small gun stores around anymore. Everybody is an "expert " on values and thinks that the evil gun store guy should sell that gun at the same price that he paid with a little mark up thrown in to cover his expenses . Pardon my rant , but this kind of thinking is why The small guy dies out and you are getting your advice and help from the pimply face kid at Dick's instead of real knowledge from a professional who specializes in firearms.

Derglockinmeister is 100% correct all these guy's that complain about the evil "gun store owner" are the same guy's that trade in a $15,000 dollar car at a dealership and get $5,600 for and don't bat and eye, but when it's something that you truly love like your gun your getting ripped off....business=profit or they go away...support your local gun shop or skippy at the box store is all you will be left with!!

Pretty ballsy if you ask me. Man has a business , customers come to the business and asks to sell a product to business to re-sell .2 nd customer interjects himself into the equation and tries to cheap buy the same product . Business owner throws rude jerk into the street and continues to do business with people who respect the right of an independent business person to make a living. He has the business , storefront , overhead , liability risk , payroll etc. and you think it's ok to go into a bidding war on his property ? Why is it not ok for a gun store to make a decent profit ? Would you go into any other business and try to take their customers away ? What level of profit is acceptable for a business owner to make ? He is not buying that gun to take home and cuddle with , it is merely a commodity to him to sell and make money to pay his bills and feed his kids. This is why there are so few independent small gun stores around anymore. Everybody is an "expert " on values and thinks that the evil gun store guy should sell that gun at the same price that he paid with a little mark up thrown in to cover his expenses . Pardon my rant , but this kind of thinking is why The small guy dies out and you are getting your advice and help from the pimply face kid at Dick's instead of real knowledge from a professional who specializes in firearms.

Sounds more like this is the line of thinking that gets "Gun Show Loophole Laws" filled. Gun Shops seem more tired of the market that Joe Schmoe is making at the Gun Shows. Yeah, I guess if I went through all the hassel of opening a business, getting licensed and then watched all those schmucks making a profit at some gun show I would be pissed too.

There is a fine line between profit and taking advantage of someone. Also, it has been my experience that most people that work at gun shops are as knowledgable about firearms as the lady at the DMV is about cars. Sure you get one or two people that know what they are talking about and a few that are even Gun Smiths...then you get the guy that just knows someone that knows someone that works there to pay off his student loans. I've seen more gun shops try to rip people off with prices by marking up their products than car dealerships (obviously I'm talking about the percentage of worth and not actuall dollars on this one).

Take Hole in the Wall for example...they will charge you a 10% fee for FFL transfers...that's 10% of the cost of the gun. So if you have a gun that is worth $200, you pay $20. But if you have a gun worth $2000, you have to pay $200 for a transfer?!

And don't even get me started on how much they were selling Centry Arms Underfolders for...mind you this was October 2008 and they were selling them for $780 a piece.

But I guess they just have to make a profit too, right?

Where is the line? When do we say "hey, that's BS!"

We want a capatalistic country, yet we will call the cops on someone trying to buy a firearm from someone just because it is in YOUR store?

Here's a solution...ASK THEM TO LEAVE. If they don't, they're Tresspassing. If they do, no more issue with them taking away your business.

[/rant]

It is a free market. The gun shops are trying to make a buck just like any other small business. The are not wearing a halo over their head. They are looking to get the best deal just like you and I are. I have only traded in one gun at a gun shop to buy another. They made me an offer and I countered for 50 bucks more. They accepted and they got my trade in and I went home with what I wanted. Both of us were happy. So, there is room to bargin a little.

I would never do that to a gun shop. The customer with the guns knows he is going to get minimal cash but the gun shop is the most likely place to have it TODAY. I would think it very rude for a customer to hang out in a shop and pick off good deals when they walk in. You would never had met the guy if the shop wasn't there for your convenience as well.

Any of you guys saying you would snag the good deal had better never complain about bad manners or unhelpful gun shop owners as that would be the worst type of customer. Such as this would trade honor for a savings of a few hundred bucks. Civility has gone downhill these days. Honor goes for cheap.

At least the other customer had the integrity to stick with the deal.

Don't get me wrong, I am pro business... If the business does well in 2 out of the 3: price, service and quality, I am happy to pay them for their product or service. If they make a fair/decent/good profit so be it!

The problem I have is when some businesses take advantage of people to the point that it can only be better described as a rip off. I have seen these type of actions in numerous businesses through out my years.

A baseball card shop (20 years ago when cards were quite desireable) offered a little old lady about 50 bucks for atleast $10,000+ in mostly near mint cards from the mid 50's. She didn't know any better, so yes I spoke up. Surprise, surprise she didn't take the 50 bucks.

A certain car dealership I know use to make all of its sales people try to take every last cent, no matter what the deal was already (at any cost). They would end up with more money on the back end than F & I could even use. This dealership also had a large amount of unwinds and I think they even encouraged its employees to not be truthful.

Gun stores: Let's take the The Gun Room because they are truly an interesting gun store... The Gun Room does have a few quality guns in stock. If you ask them they will let you know that each of their long guns has had the barrel professionally straightened and their handguns have a special alloy that only their guns have. For all of these "special features" that are truly unique to The Gun Room you get to pay a couple hundred dollars more per gun, what a deal. If you make the mistake of asking about a Glock polymer gun, oh my you are in for a treat. After one or a couple experiences in The Gun Room I can only imagine what someone would think...

Currently I condider the Gun Broker, Keith's and Bi-Mart to be my go to stores for all my shooting needs. Each has 2 out of the 3 I require in a business to deserve my greenbacks: price, service and quality. At times I think the Gun Broker has all 3, depending on what I am looking for.

If you think the shop owner was ripping this poor old man off .Then why don't you go spend thousands -getting a shop up and running .THEN see if that rifle was a good deal.It is illegal to do business in someones shop without there permission . you should try doing that in a pawn shop!

I'd let the gun shop do the transfer fees and buy it more than what they were offering. That way the gun shop doesn't have to sit on inventory and makes a quick buck without being out any money. You get it cheaper, and the seller makes more than he would otherwise. Now if you were a known vulture to hang around the gun shop and pick off deals, I'd have you trespassed.

If you think that it is ok to walk into another man's business and without investment , without license , and without permission go into competition with him in his establishment , oh wait , I think I just described Barack Obama ! Anyway , it's not . That customer approached this business because he has the location , inventory , reputation and usually the ability to carry out this transaction legally and risk free . This business is in the business of buying and selling guns. You on the other hand, were there as a customer yourself and just wanted to take advantage of your random timing to be there when that person was there. If you think that the gun store is less than competitive in their pricing , or profit structure , then by all means vote with your feet and leave. Don't lurk about and try to score a great deal by offering a little more than the store owner did . I think I speak for most business people here when I say that if someone were to try that on my premises I would bounce them on their butt .

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads