JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing about staying in town, is any lights, cooking etc will be a swift target.
People will have quick access to the source with little effort. If staying and wow if its winter this will be a whole big issue
how do you stay warm with no fire, no wood , and without being spotted ?

Stay below a couple thousand feet.
We spent 2 weeks in a snow cave.
It can be unpleasant if you dont prepare.
Get rid of everything not synthetic.
Learn ! prepare, practice. Real life is far from talk and thought. Learn your foods... ...... make a broth from some plants, you wont wake up again ! Nearly all insects and larve are edible, but some also bite back. There is one huge salad in the PNW.
Keep lots of salt and vinegar. for Disinfectant and also food cure. Stay clear of all still water unless you can filter it. There are things there that will eat you from the inside out. Boil or filter all open water. This list could be a hundred pages long, so educate yourself.

I suspect a true SHTF scenario would no doubt reveal the true character in most, if not all of us. The repressive aggressive types might be able to channel their aggression into something useful. The big talking armchair 'survivalists' will probably curl up like worms and pizz their pants. The highly trained, most regimented members of various LE, military etc. organizations might not be able to deal with the fast changing, undisciplined actions of the masses and become confused. Those who had to force their unrespected leadership on subordinates during 'normal' times might have a lot to fear in SHTF. Leadership and survival might be displayed best by those who you would least expect it from.

I suspect a true SHTF scenario would no doubt reveal the true character in most, if not all of us. The repressive aggressive types might be able to channel their aggression into something useful. The big talking armchair 'survivalists' will probably curl up like worms and pizz their pants. The highly trained, most regimented members of various LE, military etc. organizations might not be able to deal with the fast changing, undisciplined actions of the masses and become confused. Those who had to force their unrespected leadership on subordinates during 'normal' times might have a lot to fear in SHTF. Leadership and survival might be displayed best by those who you would least expect it from.

That last line is very well said.
It seems to happen that way.
Its rough out there when the wet and cold get a bite of you. But it very doable if you set your mind to it.
This country wasnt settled by people in limos and motorhomes.
If people join together with proven trust and some morality it works well. The takers will be worm bait in a short amount of time.
Be wary of who you give trust to in the beginning. Everyone will have to prove themselves. That will be the first real obstacle.

I'm sorry, did you just say that there is no food in the woods? There is so much edible stuff in an acre of forest that it isn't funny. Also, the bunnies and squirrels won't shoot you for taking the food.

I hope I misunderstood, but it sounds like you are advocating looting the city when it comes time. That's all fine and well, but I will stick to the woods, where no matter what happens to my supplies, there is so much to eat that I will grow at, not starve. 1 acre of forest land has so much edible stuff that anyone starving in the city within 2 days of whatever scenario caused the chaos would be thankful to have 1/4 of it.

Jeeze! First off I said "devils advocate"! And, the devil was advocating loot small farms etc and working up to small towns. The reference was an answer about deep forest near tree line. The entire scenario was about the possibility that distance and terrain are possibly not perfect, 100%, iron clad, for sure defenses. If you noticed, I mentioned that as you described it yours could actually be perfect.

Pull this crap on me and I will play along......but only long enough to kill you. I am pretty sure that there are others that would do the same.

If I spot your trap ahead of time and witness that sort of behavior I would also judge you and your party to be parasites and dangerous to all. In that case I would also trim your ranks from long distance.

Did you read Salmonriverjohns response to this post? And, gee, it never, ever occurred to me that someone would play along! Read the last two pages.

Jeeze! First off I said "devils advocate"! And, the devil was advocating loot small farms etc and working up to small towns. The reference was an answer about deep forest near tree line. The entire scenario was about the possibility that distance and terrain are possibly not perfect, 100%, iron clad, for sure defenses. If you noticed, I mentioned that as you described it yours could actually be perfect.

Fair enough. By all means, play devil's advocate.

There is no way that anyone could tell me that any city would be more safe or have more plentiful food than "the woods". I understand your point, but if I can, I would like to maintain some sense of decency if chaos were all around me. I am preparing so that I don't have to kill my neighbor, some seem to be preparing to do just that.

Make no mistake, push come to shove I will gut someone for that can of Alpo I like to mention if that was what stood in the way of my/my wife's/my son's survival. I would much rather have a contained unit allowing me to grow my own food and treat my own water, only killing those that threatened me.

I have stores for a family of 6. We are a family of 3. I wonder how many of an invading hoard that didn't prepare for themselves I would kill before they got inside my place and found hardly any supplies?

The way I see it, we are all better off if we get our cohorts to do for themselves, not train them to kill those that did for themselves so that they could play in the sun and buy status symbol cars while some of us actually prepared. I would compare that to healthy welfare recipients getting training to keep sucking off of those that provide. Are you OK with that, or just with killing people for their provisions?

Hopefully the folks like Grunwald and I would stop the ones that only prepared to murder before the few remaining people all cannibalized themselves.

We finally live at our retreat, we are not going anywhere. We bought our 3.5 acre place last year. It took 5 truck loads just to move our "farming" stuff (hand tools, animals, feed, firewood, equipment, power tools, shop supplies, lumber and other stockpiled things (food & survival stuff). and two more loads for our household things.

We have planned for family (including a number of vets) to join us come SHTF. Our biggest concern is folks bugging out of cities and towns to get close to the farming. It takes months, even years, to build up a place to support a small group like ours. Learning skills (hundreds) takes lots of time. You don't learn squat reading about it, you have to get dirty and actually do it. Before you can be useful out here you must get used to bugs, bees, spiders and dust everywhere, these are a real part of living rural.

Many think they can offer us security in trade for food and shelter. Get real folks! We have planned for security well. We dedicated most of our income (from 2005 to present) to getting everything we'd need to live out here. We still learn everyday of things we need to get.

If you want to successfully bug out to any rural area you will need something to offer besides your gun and a few boxes of ammo. We have cases of ammo stocked, have trained with professionals, and practice on our own gun ranges regularly. We might be able to use a few very hard working farm hands that bring useful supplies (fencing, animal tools, their personal gear, useful-to-us skills, etc).

Other folks with good intentions, high moral standards and a bug out bag are still just refugees looking to be taken care of whether they understand this or not. Rural work is hard and it takes many different learned skills which take many months to acquire. Between bugging out and becoming useful, what are you going to do to earn your keep?

We rual folks also have ARs, AKs, FALs and a lot of ongoing training getting ready for city "tough guys". Plus we know the terrain... every gully and tree. We are also vets that we do work hard physical labor 7 days a week. You boys don't understand what tough really is. Be nice, bring your own body bag.

Gawd!!! I give up! I'm not coming after anybody! "city tough guys", I know hundreds of city guys that are steel workers (steels heavy folks, I know I moved hundreds of tons of it in my day and I didn't notice it sissifing me) as just one example! I worked my grandpas and uncle's farms in my younger days. Big deal!

All! ALL!!! I'm trying to say is that people in city's are coming out as soon as the city's are untenable! Not all of them are sissys! Some of them have been preparing and training to take your stuff since survivalism, as a real, named, way of life has existed! They are called Freebooters! I am not one of them! Many of them are Special Forces types! But, you guys go ahead and don't worry about those silly little city girls in the city! They'll probably just poo themselves and die from dehydration before they make it to the suburbs and anyway your such baddazzes cause you were vets and farm every day, so no problem! LOL!!! Done!

PS: I was just trying to warn some yahoos that it isn't like they think in here!

Gawd!!! I give up! I'm not coming after anybody! "city tough guys", I know hundreds of city guys that are steel workers (steels heavy folks, I know I moved hundreds of tons of it in my day and I didn't notice it sissifing me) as just one example! I worked my grandpas and uncle's farms in my younger days. Big deal!

All! ALL!!! I'm trying to say is that people in city's are coming out as soon as the city's are untenable! Not all of them are sissys! Some of them have been preparing and training to take your stuff since survivalism, as a real, named, way of life has existed! They are called Freebooters! I am not one of them! Many of them are Special Forces types! But, you guys go ahead and don't worry about those silly little city girls in the city! They'll probably just poo themselves and die from dehydration before they make it to the suburbs and anyway your such baddazzes cause you were vets and farm every day, so no problem! LOL!!! Done!

PS: I was just trying to warn some yahoos that it isn't like they think in here!

Whoa there! I can only speak for myself, but I was only playing my own hand at devil's advocate. If you remember, a few pages back you gave us your example of recruiting a massive gang and gathering food. That is all well, but I am only saying that there will be so much chaos to contend with in a city, that it would be hard to get to where I am. The suburbs, this ain't!

I also said that some people would make it this far and they would be the baddest of the bad. Make no mistake about that. Quite frankly Sarge, I agree wholeheartedly with about 95% of the posts you make. I have liked your comments more than a few times. You do have to realize that a lot of us got to where we are by preparing for the exact thing we are discussing and reading the writing on the wall. When a post(valid or not, and yours is valid) is made that points out the ability, willingness and forethought of our biggest threat, invading hoards coming to take what we have, it can get us on our heels a bit.

My biggest fear is to have moved out of the city, not only to escape some unnamed apocalyptic threat, but to give my family what I believe a better, more "pure" life and actually survive whatever apocalypse(for conversation sake, we'll call it nuclear war and then the ensuing nuclear winter) itself, only to be murdered, forced out, or whatever by a group of people who's only preparation were to decide whether or not to shoot or stab me.

Sarge, I wish you nothing but the best and I mean that. We deal with very passionate subjects on this forum. I very much have my heart on my sleeve here and I don't pull punches with anybody. I expect the same from everyone else here. We ask each other to regularly engage in conversation on this site that would probably end up in a fist fight if it were face to face. I am the first to know and admit that my stance on things may ruffle some feathers. Still, I believe in everything I say and will back it up all the way. With that, I hope we are OK.

Salted Weapon, I regularly make the mistake of putting too much info on this public forum and 100% agree with your assessment on that. A lot of times I simply cannot resist the urge to speak my mind on whatever topic is at hand and say too much. On one hand, I very much believe in what I say and will not back down from that. On the other hand, how could giving up too much information about what I do or don't have possibly help me in a situation where I actually have to worry about the people I mentioned earlier? It doesn't help me at all and hopefully it doesn't bite me in the *** someday. I just hope I'm rural enough to not be found!

^^^ unk, you have always been a gentleman, we have no problem! Couple of others not so much, but that's OK too! Seems like a few read a couple lines and think that they are qualified to comment, and that's really OK because what with their comments and all I'm sure that like Barby said "reading is hard.......". Anyway, I'm done here! I think that "City John" and his clan and I fought a pretty good Post Apocalyptic War! LOL!!!

I still maintain all of this will depend on the severity of the SHTF scenario. Everybody is thinking something 'different' is going to happen - much like the on the beginning of every Doomsday Preppers show. They all have a different perspective of what 'might' happen. Regardless of what (if anything) happens I believe the level of 'survivalism' (not really a word) will vary greatly depending on the region and geography. Those of us in the rural areas have a very different way of thinking over those, say in inner city Chicago and that will translate directly to how we all approach it. I guess I cannot help but to view it all 'Sociologically'. Funny I would do that because I don't give a rats azz about anyone but myself - JUST KIDDING!!

I mentioned it because , I was a victim of my own ego many many years ago.
I once owned a 64 Impala with L Corvette engine, It was a sleeper and had a two way cb/police radio in it.
I made the mistake of vocalizing how cool that radio was and what I could here. I did it on the CB and thought I was safe.
Well I met allot of people and somewhere along the line a person stole it. It was in my glove box so unless I had told someone a walker by wouldn't have seen it. I try not to but in, but in stuff like this I feel compelled to help out, thank for seeing I was trying to be helpful.

If It helps I have to bite my tongue allot and not get to saying stuff I shouldn't.

Even if you hadn't experienced it yourself, you are absolutely correct. I had some baseball cards stolen from my high school locker(Madison High in Portland is one of the bubblegumtiest schools in this state. If you can send your kids ANYWHERE else, please do.) because I ran my yap about what I had.

BTW, I don't think there is such a thing as "butting in" on a public forum, but I understand the sentiment.

So, about your Impala. I wanted one for a long time, but a certain group of people made that car something that I never wanted to be. I had to write off the '63&'64 for that reason and fell in love with the '66. Which L did you have? The 350 small block? I always thought the 396 under a '70 Chevelle would have been a hell of a ride as well.

You said your piece on keeping our yap's shut without making anyone feel stupid and without being offensive. Don't thank me for noticing, thank you for sound advice from a position of wisdom, not a snide remark proving that you're smarter than us. Well played, Friend, well played.

I still maintain all of this will depend on the severity of the SHTF scenario. Everybody is thinking something 'different' is going to happen - much like the on the beginning of every Doomsday Preppers show. They all have a different perspective of what 'might' happen. Regardless of what (if anything) happens I believe the level of 'survivalism' (not really a word) will vary greatly depending on the region and geography. Those of us in the rural areas have a very different way of thinking over those, say in inner city Chicago and that will translate directly to how we all approach it. I guess I cannot help but to view it all 'Sociologically'. Funny I would do that because I don't give a rats azz about anyone but myself - JUST KIDDING!!

Absolutely. I always find it absurd to see the Doomsday Prepper folks with their idea that this ONE catastrophy(sp?) will wipe everything out. I am not concerned about anything specific. Whether it be someone finally pulling the trigger on a nuclear war, the unavoidable economic collapse, some type of pandemic, the massive earthquake I have been told to live in fear of that was guaranteed to strike before 1990, then 2000, then 2010, or something else, I believe it best to be prepared in general.

I believe "general" preparation includes a high elevation, A LOT of food and water, ways to get more food and water, treatment for the water, general first aid and medical supplies, security measures, shelter and an escape route. One thing I used to keep in my "bug out bag" in Portland was a deck of cards. All that other stuff is nothing if you go crazy and little games can ward off the insanity.

I have no clue what the end will bring. It's quite romantic to prepare and all that, but I have no interest in actually seeing a massive world-ending apocalypse. There will be no romance in the actual event. There will be pain and suffering.

Finally, speaking of Doomsday Preppers, in last weeks episode, there was a Christian woman that threw a member of her group out because he was armed. She said that if someone had a gun, she would just say prayer and hope for the best. She said that she didn't need to protect herself, as she had God on her side and she knows she will be in Heaven. That's all fine and well, but if that is your stance, why prep AT ALL? Why would the line be drawn at guns? If you know you will be in Heaven, why prepare at all?

Think about it. People can prep and prep, but if you have to leave the area, how will you carry it all.
Learn to use the tools you have to get what you need. Know how to filter water, find what is edible and what will kill you. What natural meds are available. Take adequate clothing that will keep you warm. Have fire, salt, good knives, a small axe, rope, ammo and the savy to use the things you can carry. If you try to take a truckload, you will be fighting to keep it at every turn.
There is food and there is shelter everywhere. Salt can cure foods, draw out infection and dirt and sand can filter water, as can boiling. A still can also. Iodine and bleach are also friends. Vinegar is also good.
Have clothing that makes you blend disappear. Browns, greens, greys, black and all synthetics that can be layered up. Unlike everyday life, not being seen is your best defense.
Learn to make smokless fires. Small and hot or dont make one. Alcohol burns invisible and so does propane and fuels like white gas. Use them when you find them.
Little to nothing defeats thermal imaging, so always be on alert for those using it. An aproaching aircraft is seldom heard until its overhead or passing. Too late. Vegetation and tall timber are your friends then. Gaps in it are not.
The list is endless, but learn to use what is available, not try to carry everything with you.
Keep your choice of firearms close and bear the weight of as much ammo as you can carry along with the essentials. If you dont learn now, you wont survive long then.
Your grey matter is the best tool you have. Use it.

TAAAKUUU!!!!
is that enough anime?
I have mooRERREEE!

You're going to have to help me out there......
Am I reading you have cartoon livestock ??????
Maybe its just an age thing.....?

:confused:
:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads