JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm planning on it If we don't make any progress with eliminating or suppressing 114 and Tina. I'm giving Oregon and measure 114 a year before I start making plans. I just can't leave without my suppressors tho unless there is a way that my local FFL can transfer them out-of-state to another FFL?

I'm born and raised here in Oregon and I am sad to leave it behind. :(
If you have not received them, form 3 to another dealer in the other state. If you have received them suppressors do not require anything fancy to go state to state like SBRs, MGs and SBSs, IIRC. (Check ATF website for more details)

I've gotten differing opinions on the OSP BGC for suppressors on approved tax stamps in Oregon. I'm just going not to have to abandon my can I've been waiting on since March.
Actually, I was just thinking and remembered that SilencerCentral is licensed and ships to your door in Oregon. If Oregon required a BGC upon taking possession, I don't think they'd be able to use their business model in Oregon unless I missed it in reading 114.
The issue is ill informed ffls who don't research but just go by what they were told.

I did suggest to U.S. that they look into more programs like Silencerco Speq.

That's not how it works. If you are still waiting for your F4 to be approved, you can't just F3 it to another dealer. You would have to cancel your pending F4, have it F3 to the other dealer, then submit a new F4.
I think we are assuming once my Form 4(s) is approved for the suppressors, then I can transfer them out-of-state. By the looks of the waiting period for F4 trust, I'll probably be out of this state by the time it is approved. Can it be transferred using an F3 once my F4 is approved or do I have to pick it up at the FFL where I purchased the suppressors?

Actually, I was just thinking and remembered that SilencerCentral is licensed and ships to your door in Oregon. If Oregon required a BGC upon taking possession, I don't think they'd be able to use their business model in Oregon unless I missed it in reading 114.
If the Silencer Central business model is applicable in Oregon and we assume that the given state I move to allows these types of transfer in their state too. I don't see it as a problem getting transferred to an out-of-state FFL with an F3 once my F4 is approved. I might need an attorney for this when the time comes.

I think we are assuming once my Form 4(s) is approved for the suppressors, then I can transfer them out-of-state. By the looks of the waiting period for F4 trust, I'll probably be out of this state by the time it is approved. Can it be transferred using an F3 once my F4 is approved or do I have to pick it up at the FFL where I purchased the suppressors?

If the Silencer Central business model is applicable in Oregon and we assume that the given state I move to allows these types of transfer in their state too. I don't see it as a problem getting transferred to an out-of-state FFL with an F3 once my F4 is approved. I might need an attorney for this when the time comes.
Form 3 requires the cancellation of the current form 4 and a restart I believe.

That's not how it works. If you are still waiting for your F4 to be approved, you can't just F3 it to another dealer. You would have to cancel your pending F4, have it F3 to the other dealer, then submit a new F4.
Thats kind of what I meant. I assumed that with the changing of state that you would know you have to start all over again (as the filed paperwork is now incorrect). I meant that it does not have to get stuck in limbo forever, though you essentially lose any time you have in the queue for getting your form 4 approved.

Unless Oregon tries to do some shady sh!t and implement the requirement of the permit for the transfer between the SOT and the buyer after the approval…..

But if you're not going through the NICS then it's none of oregons business.
This entire thread was brought about by the state trying to do some shady bubblegum, the only difference is that this time it was called for by a slim majority of the voting public.

For both of my suppressors I was asked to fill out a 4473 by the FFL just as if I was purchasing a firearm, the 1st time the shop charged me $10 and ran a state BGC. This was even after I flipped over the 4473 and read the section aloud to the employee explicitly stating that a second BGC wasn't required for approved NFA items, to which the employee said "It's store policy". I haven't been back to Mazama Sporting Goods since that day and I won't return because of the sheer idiocy of that policy. They know the hoops that we need to jump through for NFA items yet wait until the home stretch to add another fee and BGC onto the process.

The 2nd time a different shop didn't charge me the $10 fee and didn't run the state BGC, I filled out the 4473 and left with my property.

I'm not sure Umpqua Survival is up to speed on a few things. I have an email into OSP to clarify, but I'm guessing it'll be a while longer before I get a reply. Hopefully it'll be the correct answer of "we don't need to do a bgc if the fbi just did one" and I can take that in to show them.
I just called them and asked them what box 28 meant to them. The response was "I didn't know about that, I'll look into it".

I was actually going to go in and do that when my Turbo T2 showed as arriving via form 3.
Maybe I will still go in and talk with them about it. Kind of retarded to get a state bgc a week after the FBI clears one on the same item.
Hopefully, they will figure out how to check the box and make the notation. I also hope they get set up as a SilencerCo Spec dealer, I'd go in the day they get it set up and order 2 more cans.

I was actually going to go in and do that when my Turbo T2 showed as arriving via form 3.
Maybe I will still go in and talk with them about it. Kind of retarded to get a state bgc a week after the FBI clears one on the same item.
Hopefully, they will figure out how to check the box and make the notation. I also hope they get set up as a SilencerCo Spec dealer, I'd go in the day they get it set up and order 2 more cans.
Kindly show them box 28.

1669694793898.png

I recently cleared my eForm4 on a suppressor purchased in Tucson and before I could take it home, I had to fill out a 2nd 4473. I asked the clerk and he stated it was for store records.

I wondered if I purchased a suppressor in Oregon, would BM114 delay the purchase.
Yesterday I spoke with the owner of MKTactical in Hillsboro about form 4473 and if BM114 would have any impact on a suppressor purchase.
There are two form 4473s in the process for the acquiring a NFA stamp to own a suppressor.

1st one) this is the beginning of your background check. If BM114 will have any impact, it will be here if how BM114 get finalized includes non firearms like suppressors. Currently not in the wording.

2nd one) to pick up a suppressor that has received a tax stamp and approval, the dealer needs a completed 4473 as proof of transfer. It is not subjected to any approvals. It's just paperwork for the dealer to prove legal transfer. I believe there is a 60 day window on 4473. If the purchase is within the 60 day window, only one is needed, past the 60 day window as in the case of suppressors, a 2nd form is required for dealer records.

Thoughts?

Last Edited:
I recently cleared my eForm4 on a suppressor purchased in Tucson and before I could take it home, I had to fill out a 2nd 4473.

I wondered if I purchased a suppressor in Oregon, would BM114 delay the purchase.
Yesterday I spoke with the owner of MKTactical in Hillsboro about form 4473 and if BM114 would have any impact on a suppressor purchase.
There are two form 4473s in the process for the acquiring a NFA stamp to own a suppressor.

1st one) this is the beginning of your background check. If BM114 will have any impact, it will be here if how BM114 get finalized includes non firearms like suppressors. Currently not in the wording.

2nd one) to pick up a suppressor that has received a tax stamp and approval, the dealer needs a completed 4473 as proof of transfer. It is not subjected to any approvals. It's just paperwork for the dealer to prove legal transfer. I believe there is a 60 day window on 4473. If the purchase is within the 60 day window, only one is needed, past the 60 day window as in the case of suppressors, a 2nd form is required for dealer records.

Thoughts?
Depends on the FFL. Some believe all 4473s get submitted for a BGC, while others do not. The loss of C&R was an unintended/intended consequence of SB941.

There is nothing definitive to clarify anything related to NFA transfers as of yet.

If they require a permit to fill out a 4473, then that would really suck.

Personal form 4s you simply fill out the 4473. They don't submit anything that I'm aware of, then again that could have changed, it's been a bit since my last one.

I recently learned that it's quite the opposite with a trust. A 4473 and the NICs are run on you before you can take possession. In that case, it certainly muddies the water. If you are required to have a permit to even run a check, then you are SOL.

Nothing like paying nearly 1k for a can and have to wait with out all the 114 nonsense. I feel bad for those with cans in jail. It's gonna be a fun ride!

I recently learned that it's quite the opposite with a trust. A 4473 and the NICs are run on you before you can take possession. In that case, it certainly muddies the water. If you are required to have a permit to even run a check, then you are SOL.
This isn't quite right. all the trust enables you to do is easily add "responsible" parties to who has permission to use the NFA item. There is always a background check for individuals or the primary person listed on the trust.

Trusts allow you to give all your wives, girlfriends, and all the adult kids access to your NFA toys by simply adding a notarized form. They don't need fingerprinting or background checks, just the primary.

This isn't quite right. all the trust enables you to do is easily add "responsible" parties to who has permission to use the NFA item. There is always a background check for individuals or the primary person listed on the trust.

Trusts allow you to give all your wives, girlfriends, and all the adult kids access to your NFA toys by simply adding a notarized form. They don't need fingerprinting or background checks, just the primary.
Unless after they are added to the trust you (or they) add another NFA item. At thet point everybody in the trust needs to be fingerprinted.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top