JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I would expect the slow decline of the 2a if Romney was elected President.
We already know that he does not support repeal the restrictions of 2A rights currently in place.
It's difficult to imagine a coward like him vetoing any gun control bill that came to his desk.

When we imagine what a President Romney would do to support the 2nd Amendment, we should look at how much he values the entire Constitution, and he doesn't seem to acknowledge its existence.
Especially those pesky enumerated powers (Sec. 1 Art. 8) and that confounded 10th Amendment.

Well, since dems see him as the anti-chri... wait, that's probably a wrong expression, the complete evil opposite of the incumbent candidate, we can only hope for a rollback of amendment 777 to the 1986 firearm owners protection act, the 1938 firearms act with the tax stamp (good thing for us that's not inflation corrected) and the firearm limitation and for the constitutionally strict interpreters of course the 1968 gun control act and the associated 1993 brady handgun violence act. Plus we can all dream of federal concealed carry, although that's for the constitutionally strict people perhaps too much of an invasion of state responsibilities by the federal government. Reciprocity could be a good second choice.

Realistically, little. In the grand scheme of things, there are bigger fish to be fried. I don't expect a big movement coming up to push for any federal relaxation of laws, and if Romney has an MA-reflex (AWB), there are enough of his party to whistle him back, let alone his running mate.

Yes, 2A is important on this forum, but in national politics it's just not something that dominates.

Fair question.

If Romney enacts anti 2A laws he will anger his supporters and lose his base of power.

If Pres Obama does the same his base would get all happy, the press, the statists and the educators would love him even more.

wait... There is a difference between obomeny?

I Do not trust ether one to to protect any part of the Constitution.
One has voiced for gun control
One has voted for gun control
One is with a party that has a priority for more gun control
another just bought the NRA support for votes... But has never backed it before.
Both agree with NDAA
both agree on SIPPA, PIPPA ect..
Both don't seem to understand the "REPUBLIC for which it stands" part of America.
and really, I think if gun control comes across either desk they will ink it.

I Fear them both..

That all said... I fear Romney less...

Nothing. I don't think Romney spends any time thinking about this issue. Only time it shows up on his radar is when some campain coordinator brings it up as a issue that many on the right care about. So he goes and does his political song and dance and then forgets about it.

Neither can afford to advance an anti-2nd amendment agenda right now. However, a lame-duck president (2nd term president) would be much more likely to try something than a first term president interested in re-election...

The main thing is,if obamalamadingdong gets back in,he can stack the Supreme Court,that's worse then anything that could happen.

The main thing is,if obamalamadingdong gets back in,he can stack the Supreme Court,that's worse then anything that could happen.

Justices can and do stick around to retire during a favorable Prez's term, so that they can be a bit more reassured that their successors will be of similar mind. When Thurgood Marshall retired due to illness and fatigue, Bush 1 nominated Clarence Thomas. Probably not Marshall's first choice. Reagan got 5 in just over 6 years, not all far conservative leaning- I'm looking at you, Sandra Day O'Connor. It's a longer lasting legacy that just 4 or 8 years in office, but many of us have seen decisions changed, undone or otherwise modified in our lifetimes and have watched justices come and go.
Romney, Obama, Bush, Clinton...they get the glory or the heat for what WE LET HAPPEN on our watch. It's a democracy. Flawed as it is.
Romney won't push and pull for anything 2A related unless he's told to.

Well if the liberal democrats really think he will support more gun control they should vote for him because if they are right and he does he will bury the republican party once and for all. If he did enact more gun control as president after getting support from the NRA I know I would never vote republican ever again.

He won't do anything regarding more gun control and even if he was going to do it he would not do it till his second term even Dems know better than to do that now.

... It's a democracy. Flawed as it is....

agree with everything you said except this part. We live in a republic, not a democracy. Never has been a democracy, and the Constitution specifically states that congress will ensure all states are a republic....I know, it's silly, but it's one of those pet peeves I have...

Article IV, Section. 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

<broken link removed>

agree with everything you said except this part. We live in a republic, not a democracy. Never has been a democracy, and the Constitution specifically states that congress will ensure all states are a republic....I know, it's silly, but it's one of those pet peeves I have...

Article IV, Section. 4. The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

<broken link removed>

Sure.

Well, it is a republic. It's also almost a representative democracy (a type of republic). The main thing keeping it from being a true representitive democract is that public opinion isn't the final word, as it is limited by the Constitution (in theory anyway).

Back on topic: I doubt much will be done on the issue by "either" candidate due to, among other reasons, it being a political nightmare for the entire party. Who of the "two" candidates for president will be more likely to do something anyway? Your guess is as good as mine.

*Note, I put the words "either" and "two" in quotes because people seem to use those words while forgetting that there is a field of presidential candidates, not just two. One of these other candidates in particular is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment and concealed carry (strangely enough, the NRA has chosen to insult this candidate rather than support him). If this is a top issue for you, there's no need to take a gamble on "either" of the unknowns.

Last Edited:
If Romney were elected, he wouldn't touch gun rights legislation during his first term. Now on his second he would attack gun rights with a vengeance, Obama will do the same.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads