JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Albeit these two bills aren't 'directly' related to gun laws, they could very well affect YOUR right(s) to see/discover what Wa. State Legislators are doing in the back room out of site by the public. What manner of law(s) can or could be concocted and you have no legal means to discover what's transpiring?
I'm not a conspiracy nut by any means but these 'proposed' laws are a part of State Govt. action that needs to be stopped in its tracks! Just as the Feds are after our 2A rights one piece at a time, these two bills are after your right to know & hold accountable your elected representatives. I'm urging everyone to take a few minutes and oppose these bills on the state websites.
The links will take you to the bills websites where you can vote your opinion to YOUR elected representatives.

My note to the legislators;
ANY & all attempt(s) such as this bill,(SB5571) as well as HB 1597, are a deliberate attempt to limit information available to the public and interfere in the publics' 'Right to Know' of what elected officials are doing.
Both bills are disgusting and a direct assault upon the voters 'Right to Know'!

The legislators that are supporting these bills are nothing more than traitors to the very offices they were elected to and should resign immediately! One can only 'hope' their respective voters see what low-down action their representatives are doing and vote them out of office or recall them!

There's already enough laws on the books to prevent the harassment and warrant-less requests that these two bills purport to stop. The bipartisan-sponsored bills go against the spirit of transparency and, if passed, would put a chill over the process that ensures the public's right to know.

In addition, the Washington Coalition for Open Government notes that there are already tools in place for government officials to deal with "the serial litigant." For one thing, judges already have the discretion to declare a records request frivolous, and they can impose fines against pro se requesters and their attorneys.

State legislators should not be messing with the state Public Records Act, and the thought of them amending it to their benefit is, frankly, mind-blowing. But then again, they've made similar attempts before. In 2018, a bill that would exclude the Legislature from disclosure laws was crafted behind closed doors and quickly approved by a veto-proof margin.

The public backlash was harsh and swift and, in the end, Gov. Jay Inslee vetoed the measure and lawmakers backed down. But here we are again. You'd think they would learn by now that any attempt to put themselves outside of government accountability laws will not go over well. HB 1597 and SB 5571 take power away from citizens and shift it to government officials. These bills should be put on a pile of bad ideas and stay there.

Stripping the public of our rights of due process is un-acceptable and should not nor will not be tolerated!

Dan

I'm not in his district but he did reply...
Phil Fortunato

Dan

Mail; PO Box 40431, Olympia, WA 98504
Olympia Office, 216 Legislative Modular Building
Phone: (360) 786-7660
Email: [email protected]

My office is being inundated with constituents concerned about what is going on in Olympia with respect to our Second Amendment rights.

I want to thank everyone for sharing their concerns and any efforts being made to slow or stop these unnecessary infringements on law-abiding citizens. I thought I'd share a brief update on where some of these proposal are in the legislative process.
  • Senate Bill 5078 would create liability for gun manufacturers and dealers that would basically make them uninsurable in our state. This proposal was approved by the policy committee with 1563 signing in support and 2775 testifiers opposed. It had a public hearing in the budget committee Jan. 31 where 657 signed in Pro and 886 testifiers Con. No further action has been taken yet.
  • Senate Bill 5193 and the House companion bill, which are being referred to an an "assault weapons" ban have not yet received a public hearing. The other related legislation, Senate Bill 5265 has not moved in the Senate, but the House version, HB 1240 could be voted on by the House of Representatives if it is taken out of the Rules Committee.
  • Senate Bill 5446 would allow local jurisdictions to create their own gun laws, which is currently preempted by state law. The Senate version has not received a public hearing, but the House bill is moving. Interestingly, it was scheduled to be voted out of committee twice, but nothing happened.
I share the frustration and oppose efforts to further restrict our constitutional rights and the impact this liability proposal will have on a legal industry in our state.

Problems with gun violence in Washington are not due to law abiding citizens, they are caused by criminals with guns they already are not legally allowed to have. Imposing the kind of liability will do nothing but further infringe on the rights of citizens. This is akin to making car manufacturers and dealers liable for drunk drivers.

When I stand up for your Second Amendment rights, I am standing up for mine as well. I am doing everything in my power to slow the progress of these bad pieces of legislation. Given the makeup of the Legislature, stopping them altogether may not be possible, but I will voice your concerns and the concerns of many who have contacted me and my colleagues in opposition to this and other gun-related legislation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top