JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings people,

A friend of mine recruited me to assist her in purchasing a handgun for a Christmas gift for her partner, which leads me to a few questions:

Thoughts/suggestions on a weapon, I am thinking Glock 17, or XD9mm? Its not something she plans on carrying concealed.

and then where to buy? I have never actually shopped at a local gun shop so I got nothing there, she mentioned shopping at Fishermans in O.C. ?

I figured there is no better place to glean information than this forum,
thanks,
Chris

I got a better idea instead of asking a bunch of dudes what to get a woman. Have the woman go to the various stores and have her try handling a number of different pistols and see what she likes. Once you get a couple choices then whittle it down with your experience or the experience of others.

Over the years I have helped a lot of women learn to shoot and helped them chose a weapon and not once was the final choice what I would have thought. I've had dainty little women want pistols as big as a 1911 and others with man sized hands chose a small snub nose 38 revolver.

Choosing a firearm for another person is akin to choosing someone else's mate. Some things are best left to the person its for.

Take some time do some shopping. And expect not to get it right the first time.

And what ever you do don't stuff some high power rip snorting self defense ammo in the thing to teach them how to shoot. Find the least powerful target loads that will function the pistol and start with that.

I got a better idea instead of asking a bunch of dudes what to get a woman. Have the woman go to the various stores and have her try handling a number of different pistols and see what she likes. Once you get a couple choices then whittle it down with your experience or the experience of others.

Over the years I have helped a lot of women learn to shoot and helped them chose a weapon and not once was the final choice what I would have thought. I've had dainty little women want pistols as big as a 1911 and others with man sized hands chose a small snub nose 38 revolver.

Choosing a firearm for another person is akin to choosing someone else's mate. Some things are best left to the person its for.

Take some time do some shopping. And expect not to get it right the first time.

And what ever you do don't stuff some high power rip snorting self defense ammo in the thing to teach them how to shoot. Find the least powerful target loads that will function the pistol and start with that.
^ what he said. For some odd reason no matter how perfect the firearm.. Ladies tend to like different firearms that the ones someone would normally pick out for them.
Has happened twice to me. Have her just pick it out at the shop, saves time and money in the long run. Surprises are great though! Probably just not for this type of gift.

If she just has to buy her partner the gun as a surprise, buy a Glock. It will be very easy to sell or trade if it turns out that the giftee doesn't like it. I'm not even a fan of Glocks, so you can be sure that I'm sincere about this. ;)

Glocks are great firearms, but the grip is not always the best for a female with small hands. As others said, best to have her give a personal gift card, with a picture of a handgun and then take her shopping to hold and see what fits her grip best. Keith's in Gresham has prices and selection that is hard to beat. Or, take them both to the gun show at the Expo this weekend and they can handle more firearms than they really want to.

Man woman or child,let them try the guns to see what fits them best.
Only time you can just buy another a gun is if they have told you what they want or they shot yours/someones,and loved it.
Unless you want the gun and don't care if they like it or not!;)

Best thing you can do is take 'em to a range with lots of rental options and let her figure it out.
Guns are a very personal choice.

A squirt gun with a thoughtful coupon for a day of trying on pistols would be cool. The theme is that's it's hard to pick a defensive weapon for someone else. My daughter is an example. Hates her moms glock, loves full size 1911's. Would never have guessed it until she came along and just shot them all.

Definitely have her go to the LGS and handle some. Then rent or borrow the ones that seem the best fit.
My own personal favorite is the Glock 19. I own a lot of handguns, but it is far and above the most comfortable for me.

As for places to buy in the local area, Fisherman's, NW Armory, Gun Broker in Clackamas - I've done business with all of them. If you want to try guns, the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas has a selection of guns for rent, I know the Place to Shoot and the English Pit have them for rent too.

As for choosing a gun, the best advice has been said, but I'll +1 it here - it's very difficult to recommend or choose a gun for someone else. It is a very personal choice based on a variety of factors, of which one of the most important is how well it fits your hand. There is just no way you can be certain how well a gun will fit someone until they put it in their own hands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top