JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It took some work to get the slide to open enough to be able to check things out. I wasn't sure what happened and had to check that a live round wasn't in there. Clearly there wasn't :)

If I don't send the gun anywhere, i'll be hanging it on my wall. It's a hell of a trophy.
Or it's a great candidate for the next gun buyback.

heres what happened to mine

I think this is an ammo issue, still would like to know if its reloads?

Had a similar experience years ago with commercial reloaded ammo, case wall blew out on a shot. Lucky for me it didnt hurt the gun or anything I just think the case was reused one too many times.... now imagine this scenario if the reloader overcharged the ammo.

View attachment 784049

I had the same issue also on win cases remanufactured ammo . Save 50 bucks on a case of 9mm just isnt worth it.

20140605_111859.jpg

I had the same issue also on win cases remanufactured ammo . Save 50 bucks on a case of 9mm just isnt worth it.

I stopped buying reloads years ago after a few issues, the commercial reloads are asking near new prices anyways but the real catch is shooting reloads voids both your guns warranty and the ammo manufacturer has no warranty on their reloads... you are high and dry on your own with reloads gone wrong.

Curious photo @a6m5 ... Curious of how brass shavings /dust were being produced. ....

My guess for the brass flakes -- having personally made this error reloading in the distant past -- is over flaring the case mouth. It makes bullet seating and alignment really easy but when it comes time apply the taper, you can get that brass dust -- probably related to the angle between an over-flared case mouth and the angle of the tapering part of the die coupled with the sliding motion as the case is inserted. The outside edge of the flare can get grated by the die and leave some brass dust.

I don't think it's the brass, I think it's whatever the bullet is coated with since it's not a copper jacket.

I think his point is that you might get clues about whether the loads were generally overpowered by looking at the spent brass from shots that didn't blow up the gun.

So long as the bullet was the correct diameter, I don't think the jacket is the culprit.

Last Edited:
Probably a double charge of powder. A barrel obstruction would normally cause a bulge of some kind in the barrel and most modern firearms will not fire out of battery so back to the double charge. I had a 9mm case head rupture once while firing someone else's reloads (first and last time) this was in a S&W 910 and all that happened is the magazine got dis-assembles and spread out over the shooting bench along with the ammo that was still in it and the original plastic grips had some damage to the tabs that hold it in place. I was able to find the blown out case when I swept up my brass. If it was a double charge, I am thinking things would have been a lot worse.

Not sure I ever saw a post stating that the box of ammo WAS reloads.
@grimmy999 - can you verify or show the box end? Something was defective. Whether it was the case or over loaded remains to be seen.

This is why I stopped purchasing re-manufactured ammo from any company. Blew out a .40 cal semi 5-6 years ago. Lots of GSR but no blood - was a lucky boy!

I think his point is that you might get clues about whether the loads were generally overpowered by looking at the spent brass from shots that didn't blow up the gun.

So long as the bullet was the correct diameter, I don't think the jacket is the culprit.
I would also look at the primers of the spent brass to see if any came out or anything else unusual. I'm guessing the issue in post #6 was a squib due to primers coming out but hard to tell from that brief description (and of course may not be the same issue as this).

Stamp from the cases said "WIN". Is it normal for no-name manufacturers to use major name brand cases?
Curious photo @a6m5 Now I have to go through my semi auto hang guns and see if any of mine leave so much un-supported case.
I blogged about it when it happened, and here's the side-by-side of the new replacement USP slide next to the kaboom'd one:

BEFORE AND AFTER DAMAGED NEW BARRELL.jpg
I think this is an ammo issue, still would like to know if its reloads?

Had a similar experience years ago with commercial reloaded ammo, case wall blew out on a shot. Lucky for me it didnt hurt the gun or anything I just think the case was reused one too many times.... now imagine this scenario if the reloader overcharged the ammo.

View attachment 784049
I started googling USP catastrophic failure when it happened to me, and all that I found involved reloads.
I'll add that there is a garbage pile because as responsible Trash No Land members we tarped, collected our brass (and some others), and hauled out more than we brought in.
I was doing the same earlier this week, but this one time, I was too lazy to put on gloves. Cut my finger on a trash..... and had to cut it short. Trashers. :mad:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads