JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
M1A is a great rifle. Accurate, not all that heavy, not too long or cumbersome, able to zap something a long ways out, plenty of knock down power. I miss having one.

My "reach out and touch someone" urban rifle is a 16" barreled Noveske N6 7.62x51 with a Trijicon TR24G 1-4 power optic on it. In the suburban hell of Tacoma, that's perfect. I've hunted with it and walked 10-15 miles at a time with it and wasn't bothered by it's weight. Got plenty of 20 round mags and a couple 25 rounders. If I lived in a more rural area or the East side of the state, I'd probably want something with a bit more magnification.

Yeah I'm fond of the M-1A. I qualified with the M-14 in the Army. 7.62N is pretty handy for modest barriers too! What is your Noveske weighing? At 9.2# (more like 9.8 for the NM) empty the M-1A isn't all that lite but I find it very well balanced.

How about the homely cardboard appliance box? Laying under an old yard tarp, etc

Long time ago my best friend, sadly passed on now, and I were discussing urban opossum hunting using garbage cans as blinds. We ran into a dead end on how to fashion calls that mimicked the sound of garbage! We were watching a vary bad football game!

My "reach out and touch someone" urban rifle is a 16" barreled Noveske N6 7.62x51 with a Trijicon TR24G 1-4 power optic on it. In the suburban hell of Tacoma, that's perfect. I've hunted with it and walked 10-15 miles at a time with it and wasn't bothered by it's weight. Got plenty of 20 round mags and a couple 25 rounders. If I lived in a more rural area or the East side of the state, I'd probably want something with a bit more magnification.

What ranges have you tried that cartridge with the 16 inch barrel ?

I expect to see (at some point) trained insurgents equipped with Light infantry weapons operating in "secured areas" cut-off from the outside by US military units

It would have to be on the US border then. There are too many citizens to divide and conquer so that is their undoing if attempted.
The every bush, tree and blade of grass comment will be reality.

It would have to be on the US border then. There are too many citizens to divide and conquer so that is their undoing if attempted.
The every bush, tree and blade of grass comment will be reality.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

M1A is a great rifle. Accurate, not all that heavy, not too long or cumbersome, able to zap something a long ways out, plenty of knock down power. I miss having one.

Yeah I'm fond of the M-1A. I qualified with the M-14 in the Army. 7.62N is pretty handy for modest barriers too! What is your Noveske weighing? At 9.2# (more like 9.8 for the NM) empty the M-1A isn't all that lite but I find it very well balanced.

My "reach out and touch someone" rifles. I also have a scoped .22-250 and a match Swedish Mauser I'm quite fond of....

DHemhXTl.jpg

What ranges have you tried that cartridge with the 16 inch barrel ?

So far I've only shot it out to 300 yards. Unfortunately at the time it was the furthest distance I could find. This summer I'll take it with me to a camping spot in Eastern Washington and stretch that range out a bit. Gonna borrow some steel targets. Shot some earlier this year at 200 yards off hand. That was a heck of a lot of fun. I was considering putting a higher magnification optic on it, but it's good enough for my intended purpose.

I've considered upgrading my Model 700 in 06, better optics, trigger job, glass bedding, etc. but then I am also thinking sometimes one can find deals on hardly used .300 win mags. Either way WROLF is gonna be ugly. THE 2014 ELECTION looms large.

Brutus out

I've considered upgrading my Model 700 in 06, better optics, trigger job, glass bedding, etc. but then I am also thinking sometimes one can find deals on hardly used .300 win mags. Either way WROLF is gonna be ugly. THE 2014 ELECTION looms large.

Brutus out

Yeah, I can see going either way, all depends on how large your 30-06 ammo supply is, but since your rem is not registered I would tend to stick with that. put a 40mm Vari-X III on it, those 50mm scopes are a royal pain in the field. trigger job and G-bed then a paint job!
I've sorta gotten past the Mil-Dot thing, with a laser range finder and knowing the distance between telephone poles, google map, ranging target zones, has become quite easy

I think all of us want to say we're prepared. I'll be the first one to admit I'm not as prepared or confident as I'd like to be. SHTF, I'm bugging out of my neighborhood. It's quiet, my neighbors are cool, but only half dozen blocks down the street is the gangs/homeless/pimps and prostitutes/dope slingers/people I don't desire to become acquainted with. My quiet little oasis would crumble pretty fast.

Not accusing anyone here of it, but there are a lot of people who are over confident. What happens when you encounter a group of superior numbers? One with superior firepower? What if they kidnap part of your group? You going to let them kill a wife/kid/family member/friend instead of giving up your preps? What happens when you're trapped in your home? Can you outlast a siege? Do you have proper medical knowledge/equipment to treat wounded. How will your sanitation stand up? What if your group is divided on whether to surrender? Do you think everyone is willing to die for your preps? What happens when your family is ready to split and you're not? Your home/strong hold going to be able to protect you from bullets? What about getting cut off from necessary items (more food, water, ammo)? That's what has always deterred me from the idea of an underground bunker. You may have food/water/weapons, but you're trapped in one spot with likely one way out. What happens when they find your fresh air supply and cut it off/pump it full of carbon monoxide/poison it? All these are things I think about. Seems to me the best way to survive people like in this video is through sheer numbers/force, or be as nomadic/mobile as possible. Everyone else's opinions may vary.

Sounds like you have it down pretty well :)

So... why don't you and your chill neighbors go and wipe out the dope slingers, prostitutes etc when SHTF? Seems like wiping out this group before they have a chance to matasticize and attack on their schedule is a better plan than just running away.

Fact of the matter is, there are absolutely no guarantees, a child/friend/family member gets kidnapped, no guarantee you get them back when you give up. SHTF is a time for cold hard arithmetic, when it comes to criminal elements most of them are much more poorly armed than you would imagine, yea, they might have some handguns, maybe a few semi-auto rifles. Your average IT worker who has a large disposable income and a lust for firearms would likely be better armed than most gangs in your area. However, this will not last, as they knock people over, they will gain more weapons and resources. The time to act will be immediately. If need be, small arms and molotov cocktails will be the order of the day.

QUOTE=AMProducts;1020089]So... why don't you and your chill neighbors go and wipe out the dope slingers, prostitutes etc when SHTF? Seems like wiping out this group before they have a chance to ma[tasticize and attack on their schedule is a better plan than just running away.

Fact of the matter is, there are absolutely no guarantees, a child/friend/family member gets kidnapped, no guarantee you get them back when you give up. SHTF is a time for cold hard arithmetic, when it comes to criminal elements most of them are much more poorly armed than you would imagine, yea, they might have some handguns, maybe a few semi-auto rifles. Your average IT worker who has a large disposable income and a lust for firearms would likely be better armed than most gangs in your area. However, this will not last, as they knock people over, they will gain more weapons and resources. The time to act will be immediately. If need be, small arms and molotov cocktails will be the order of the day.[/QUOTE]

Rent my home and don't necessarily have a lot of emotional connection to it or the area. It's close to work, close enough for my gal to go visit her friends and family, and convenient for my work territory (do outside sales). I just live there out of pure convenience. When I buy a home in the next couple years, it will be someone a little further out. The scope of my career has changed in the time I've been living in my current location.

All this SHTF talk is hypothetically based. No one knows to what level it would be. Could be a week or 2 of Katrina like chaos, or could be plunged into the dark ages. The idea of actively seeking out groups of bad guys and "wiping them out" seems like a very bad idea, at least in the first scenario. May have to eventually answer to the law.

Living in Tacoma and "wiping out" that group would be a large scale operation. Too many low income, sketchy folks, drugged out weirdos around. Not saying that everyone around is like that, but with big cities come big problems. Be the same as saying that to someone in Portland or Seattle. You may eliminate the immediate threat in your area, but as things progressively get worse more people will move out of the city and into the quieter neighborhoods looking to prey on people. Also, as times get more desperate people who were decent enough folks will become bad guys. When someone's family is hungry and cold, people will sink to low levels to support the one's they love. Plus in a situation like that, I'm not looking to go on the offense and attack others. I have no interest in jeopardizing my life or those around me to "pick a fight". I'm all for laying low, standing my ground, and defending myself and those around me.

Anyways found it humorous as you can not most likely wander and plunder if SHTF, you will be a target too.
You will lose people doing so, your strength will drop and you will be victimized, just like those you victimized.

A plundering group will have to have specific behaviors and tactics to effect their plans, and these will be very clear to the op for. They likely will not have sufficient training and organization to CONSISTENTLY effect such raids. The op for will be able to bring a huge amount of offensive action to them at the first sign of plundering. Stack a few of them up and their home boys may change their plans a bit.

I think one of the issues that needs to be addressed as I read some of the posts is that holing up in one location, standing your ground, etc. is a very bad idea from an operational standpoint. .....unless you are in some kind of concrete bomb shelter. To survive you need to constantly be on the move and quick to adapt to ever-changing forces and tactics. In an offensive situation, if you have the opportunity to eliminate a threat at long range, as soon as you make the shot you're going to be targeted from that moment forward. If you have a spotter that can make effective hits from that distance you may be able to maintain your position for a while, but not indefinitely. Holding your ground mentality is a good way to get yourself killed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top