JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious to see what others have to say...

What event/events made you interested in preparing for self defense? What started your interest in CCW, knives, hand-to-hand, etc? Was it a single event,like a robbery or shooting? Did it happen to you or someone else? Maybe it was a series of events? A conversation with a wise, trusted friend or family member? What started you down the path to self defense?

For me it was chronically witnessing all manner of assaults (both penetrating and blunt-force) at work and seeing that some of these events were perpetrated at random on uninvolved, unsuspecting individuals, and realizing it could potentially happen to me.

What was your own personal turning point?

A few years ago my wife and I were out fishing on a weekday in a remote area in SW WA. Nobody around which we like, that's why we prefer to go during the week.
Along comes a older, somewhat beat up pickup with two guys that look like they just stepped off the set of "Deliverance". As they slowly drove by I gave them my usual smile and a wave. What I got back was a cold expressionless stare. Pretty effin chilling. Made a believer out of me.

tbt

I needed a way to get to know my father-in-law to be. He was interested in tractors and guns. I had less interest in tractors.

As I got into competitive shooting I was concerned about legally transporting my firearms. I called 5 different agencies and got 5 different answers on what was legal. I decided a CHL would solve the issue.

As much fun as hitting targets at 200m with a handgun was I was really drawn to more defensive style of pistols.

I now feel a sense of duty to be a good citizen; willing to step in and help in any way possible. So I prepare, train and go armed.

It started for me back when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I would go over to my relatives house and go off in the woods shooting at targets, squirrels and birds with my 2 cousins. Also when I would go with my friend and his dad and uncle hunting for rabbits. I learned to respect the life ending power of a gun and understood that it was a powerful tool that could be used to acquire food and for the enjoyment of shooting.

I received my first gun when I was 9 or 10 years old. It was a CO2 pistol. I got it for Christmas from my mom and dad. As I grew up I realized that people also used guns to kill other people and people used guns to defend themselves.

I didn't own another gun until a few years ago. I received some firearms from my father in laws death. Now I enjoy them again and I am teaching my wife and children about them.

There was no turning point. It is part of my life.

The 1992 Los Angeles riots.

I lived near LA at the time, close enough to smell the smoke. That made me think long and hard about protecting my family and possessions. Have since moved to a very rural part of Southern Oregon, away from any big city, and I'm very happy here.

That's interesting; the LA riots have been a motivator for me as I start building my defenses beyond my personal space.

Because I have never know other wise. Both parents are retired L.E. and war Vets. My grandparents carried. My uncles carry. It was so natural, that as A kid, I thought it was weird when my school mates had never shot a gun, or that their parents didn't even own one.
Early in my teen years I learned that not all cops were pro gun, that in fact some thought only them should own one. I have never understood that.
1911's were considered gifts of high accord in my family, like graduation, weddings, anniversaries and such.
I knew how to re-load before I knew how to change the oil in a car.

A few years ago my wife and I were out fishing on a weekday in a remote area in SW WA. Nobody around which we like, that's why we prefer to go during the week.
Along comes a older, somewhat beat up pickup with two guys that look like they just stepped off the set of "Deliverance". As they slowly drove by I gave them my usual smile and a wave. What I got back was a cold expressionless stare. Pretty effin chilling. Made a believer out of me.

tbt

It wasn't a mint green late-60s Ford...was it?

I grew up hunting, and never really thought about self-defense until one night when I was in the military off base sharing a bottle of cheap wine with a buddy while sitting on a picnic table in Ala Moana Park in Honolulu. Three pretty big local guys walked up and demanded our money. My friend erupted off the table, and before he landed two of them were down. The third looked shocked and just ran off. Turns out his father had been stationed in Seoul and he had been the only white boy in a Tae Kwon Do dojo. He had earned his third degree black belt in Korea. Needless to say I was impressed. I began taking regular beatings from him as I learned. 37 years later I am still learning...but like to think I have picked up a few skills.
I have always been handy with weapons..and pistols were just another tool growing up. I am a daily carry guy and practice defensive fire and move drills at least once a month........I do this because I haven't learned to catch bullets like in the movies!!!!

13 years ago I moved to San Jose, CA and ended up living across the RR tracks from a homeless shelter. The shelter was not the problem, the RR tracks and the homeless were the problem. My first Christmas bonus from my boss that year was a Gov 1911. 3 months later I purchased a Mossburg Pump, 12g. I soon joined a defensive shooting club, non-competition but focused on learning the laws of the state and the tactics used to defends ones home/family. It was a small club, no bigger than 60 or so members. Many were in law enforcement. The founder of the club, became an officer for a Bay area city, at the age of 43. Nine months later, as he was responding to a domestic call, with his hands full of flashlight and DL, a punk shot him in the face, point blank. They caught the murderer but that did not save my friends life.
I view firearms as a tool. I find they have artistic value, like some would in a painting, so I collect the ones I like or that feel good to shoot.
I don't hunt and don't have any desire to. I just want to be able to protect myself and my future family.

First wakeup call was about 15 years ago when I was driving ambulance in my hometown. We picked up a 15 year old that was high on unknown drugs. As we were sitting him on our cot, I noticed a 9mm semi-auto in his waistband. This was not a big city… this was a small almost rural town.

What prompted me to finally get my permit as well as my first handgun happened in the Columbia River Gorge a few years ago. My wife and I were stopped at a scenic outlook on the Washington side of the river while on a motorcycle ride. Three guys riding in a pickup truck pulled in and got out. They were pointing at us and looked to be planning something. This was the first time in my life I felt really vulnerable. I’m a big guy, and was pretty darn fit at the time. However, here we were with no car to retreat to. No way of rapidly exiting the area because our helmets were off. I guess approaching 50 years of age and this incident broke my long term self regard of being invincible. Nothing did happen, but I started looking into what it would take to carry a self defense weapon that very night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top