JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, I can't believe that I've never posted in this, 2012, thread!

I inherited my dad's Mossberg M-146B, .22 S-L-LR, bolt rifle.

IMG_0080.JPG

First rifle I bought on my own, fresh out of the army, was a Remington M-788, in .22-250. I know that the term, "tack driver," gets really overused! I'm a charter member in the "tack" club! Well....you could drive tacks with that rifle! So sorry I traded it off!

Last Edited:
First one purchased was a Dan Wessen 357mag. Around age 15 . Shot 38s through it I reloaded w a Lee Loader. Saved the 357s for security. I miss that one . Then a Belgium Browning A5 12 GA w a poly choke at 16. Miss that one as well. Then traded a compound bow for a Walther PPK because we were headed from Idaho to Portland at 17. Had a $500 pellet rifle from bucking hay at age 14 if they count. Got stolen in Portland. :mad:

I have a Savage 110(pre-accutrigger) This was the first rifle I bought. Paid 200.00 for it in the summer of 2003. Used it to take my first deer later that fall. A nice 3x3. It is wearing a 28'' barrel with a 1:9'' twist, a bushnel 3x9x40mm dawn to dusk.

My favorite reload recipe is:

150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
63gr of IMR 4831
and according to the nosler reloading manual I own states a velocity of 3130FPS/3200FT/LBS. I do not know what it is with this bullet,powder combo for this rifle but it is very accurate. Before we started reloading for our 30.06 and 7mag we used Remington corelokts in 150gr. My home rolled 150's vs Remington corelokts:
Remington used for initial sight in dead on at 100yds. The nosler's were 1.5'' high at 100yds. I did not change a thing, lol. My step-dad wanted to bring it down to the bulls eye. I would not let him touch it for a very good reason. I am dead on, or close enough to it at 300.

I then used these two loadings at 800+/- yards, Wicked performance haha. Held about 8''-10'' high and actually shot high with the noslers.

View attachment 39565

View attachment 39566

My first rifle was a 6.5mm Italian Terni that my dad bought for me at Andy and Bax in 1961. The only ammo available was military loads that had the bullets pulled and replaced with soft nose ones. With the rear sight removed and a 1/4" deep notch hacksawed into the base it would at least hit a LARGE target at 100yds. I used it one year. Cost was $9.99. I sold it to my best friend (or at least he used to be) for $15. He later sold it for $20, at my garage sale.

Marlin Golden 39A. Purchased with earnings from my summer job. Bought it at the Expo Gun Show when people still went there to sell guns!!

FYI- I had to read that second sentence THREE times thinking, "WTH?!!" until I actually saw (and then mentally registered) EARNINGS and not EARRINGS... gawd, wears my frakin' cheaters?!

:s0112:

Growing up I got to play with a Glennfield Model-60 like many others here, but my first purchased rifle was a Colt AR-15A2 Sporter-II that I bought in '87-'88 while stationed in Heidelberg Germany.

I still have both of them.

Here's a photo looking down the barrel of the Colt after not shooting it for a few years.

IMG_2672.JPG

:D

My first rifle was an old 22 mag Marlin 783 I got for my 11'th birthday. Not sure how it shot, my mom promised me for the longest time she would take me out shooting but before she ever did she ended up pawning it. I'm still a little bit irked about that to be honest.

I carried and used family rifles until I got out of high school. My first personal rifle was a tang safety Ruger M77 Ultralight rifle in .257 Roberts. Scope is a Leupold 2x7, and it still has it's Uncle Mike's bikini scope cover and Boonie Packer sling. Great rifle - decent accuracy, 6 1/4 lbs w/o scope, and the Bob has a mild recoil that's appreciated in such a light rifle.

My first, very own, rifle was some kind of stainless Rossi, pump-action in .22LR. I don't recall the model. IIRC, it was a copy of an older American design. It looked kind of like this:

nXKdXFZ.png

I received it for Christmas and proceeded to shoot it like there was no tomorrow. The firing pin broke within a month and my father brought it back to the sporting goods shop he bought it from. The proprietor was a family friend and was embarrassed by the issue, so he offered a stainless, Ruger 10/22 instead and said he'd deal with the warranty on the Rossi. So, I got a 10/22 as a replacement and even more plinking ensued. And a lifetime of gun fun has proceeded from there. :D

Marlin bolt-action .22, I believe it was a Model 100. Had a tee-shaped plunger that you pulled back to cock it.

I got it at Christmas when I was 11 years old, and went hunting around my grandpa's farm that morning in the snow... Arkansas, a cold snowy morning, and good, good memories.

IMG_0395.PNG

FYI- I had to read that second sentence THREE times thinking, "WTH?!!" until I actually saw (and then mentally registered) EARNINGS and not EARRINGS... gawd, wears my frakin' cheaters?!

:s0112:

Growing up I got to play with a Glennfield Model-60 like many others here, but my first purchased rifle was a Colt AR-15A2 Sporter-II that I bought in '87-'88 while stationed in Heidelberg Germany.

I still have both of them.

Here's a photo looking down the barrel of the Colt after not shooting it for a few years.

View attachment 348800

:D

That gives all new meaning to the concept of the varmint gun.:p

First rifle given to me was my dads Marlin 60, i was 6, I love that old girl!!! The first one I got for xmas that was "all mine" was a 87' Colt Delta HBAR with all the accessories, think I was about 13-14 (some bastard has it now, they broke into the old apartment I used to have and walked out with the safe! A 300lbs safe!!!).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top