JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since you said "rifle", I cannot count the Daisy Cub I got when I was five (smoothbore).
So: Here it is:
P5160052.jpg

Winchester Model 67A Single Shot Bolt Action Boy's Rifle (given to me by my father, when I was six.) Still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. For the first few years, the only shells I was allowed were .22 Short Hollowpoints (I fed the family regularly with Nevada Cottontails). Back then, Shorts were actually cheaper than Long Rifle ammo (35c vs 50c). I think Dad also figured if I screwed up and shot him, he'd probably survive at least long enough to hurt me more than I hurt him.

Dad liked the feature that you actually have to cock the striker AFTER you close the bolt: At the age of six, my hands were not strong enough to grip it hard enough to accomplish this (strong firing pin spring). Dad had to cock it for me (a great safety feature). I practiced and practiced trying to pull that striker back until my hand shook. Finally (I think when I was almost seven), I developed a technique and the strength to cock it myself. This gun is solely responsible for teaching me:

1) Take your time, squeeze the trigger.
2) Make the first shot count.
3) Place the bullet perfectly: a wounded animal will make you cry (and you don't want Dad to see you cry).

Since you said "rifle", I cannot count the Daisy Cub I got when I was five (smoothbore).
So: Here it is:
P5160052.jpg

Winchester Model 67A Single Shot Bolt Action Boy's Rifle (given to me by my father, when I was six.) Still one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. For the first few years, the only shells I was allowed were .22 Short Hollowpoints (I fed the family regularly with Nevada Cottontails). Back then, Shorts were actually cheaper than Long Rifle ammo (35c vs 50c). I think Dad also figured if I screwed up and shot him, he'd probably survive at least long enough to hurt me more than I hurt him.

Dad liked the feature that you actually have to cock the striker AFTER you close the bolt: At the age of six, my hands were not strong enough to grip it hard enough to accomplish this (strong firing pin spring). Dad had to cock it for me (a great safety feature). I practiced and practiced trying to pull that striker back until my hand shook. Finally (I think when I was almost seven), I developed a technique and the strength to cock it myself. This gun is solely responsible for teaching me:

1) Take your time, squeeze the trigger.
2) Make the first shot count.
3) Place the bullet perfectly: a wounded animal will make you cry (and you don't want Dad to see you cry).

My grandpa has a gun just like that. And that is what I learned how to shoot with when I was four. Man those things bring back some really great memories my grandpa and I have together. He is my main hunting partner. He always has been and always will be. We do not take that old gun out often enough as we should. I have always told people who are having problems with shooting their hunting rifles to take a trip down memory lane and use the .22s more often. 1. they are cheaper to shoot 2. a person can shoot more often with a .22 and 3. A .22 will teach and continue to reteach you the shooting basics all of your life. the people I teach how to shoot, I make them learn Iron sights before a scope. My .22 revolver is a DA/SA with just irons and I use it to practice the smooth DA trigger pull and tend to find my self shooting better afterwords.

My first rifle was a stainless steel, synthetic stock Ruger 10/22. I bought it around four or five years ago and I have shot an insanely high number or rounds through it. I would guess around 20,000 rounds with minimal maintenance done. I have modded is several times. It started out with the original synthetic stock, I have put a factory wood stock on there a tapco intrafuse stock on it, currently it is riding in a hogue(I think that is how you spell it.) stock and a huge butler creek bull barrel(I got a steal on both the stock and the barrel, someone on craigslist needed a few bucks for gas and phone bill.) I will be honest and say I never understood and really don't understand why people will spend so much money on the ruger 10/22's. But after watching this Nutnfancy review I am starting to become one of them.
This set up blows my mind and I want it. This will more than likely be the most I ever spend on my Ruger. Even though I think this is a unreasonble amount to spend on a 22lr, I just think this is about the coolest I could ever make my 10/22
Nutnfancy Favorite 10/22s: Troy/TacSol T-22 - YouTube

However, the next purchase I make for my 10/22's will hopefully be a butler creek folding stock. My father in-law has one on his 10-22 and I really really like it.

I gotta say the most impressive shots I have made with 10/22 was right after I bought a beater 10/22 for $50 bucks off craigslist, it was ugly, not well taken care of and the stock was unusable, I took it home through on the tapco stock and took in shooting the following weekend. I didn't clean it, lube it or anything other than change the stock. I put a cheap knock off acog type scope, I didn't zero the scope or anything I set up 10 pop cans about 140 yards up in the top of the quarry and I shot all 10 pop cans with ten shots. I thought it was to good to be true and at the end of the trip when we were cleaning up I found each of the cans, which had fallen out of site after shooting them. I was sure that some of the shots were probably ricochets but sure enough I found each can and they all had a entrance and exit holes. I was at a standing off hand with I believe a four power scope. I was very impressed I am sure others can do better than I but I was impressed. I have since sold that ruger and added another to the inventory. The two I currently have will probably be added to in the future. 10/22, are just so much fun and so practical also they are a great value for the price and the options are endless with what you can do with them.

here is a pic of my two rugers
2012-05-17_14-29-16_169.jpg

Savage-Springfield model 15 from my Uncle...got it used (well used) when I was 6 (41 years ago, and it's 2 feet from me right now, in the safe). It was one you had to pull the cocking piece back after you closed the bolt like has been mentioned, and yes, it's a great safety feature. I have no idea how many rounds have been down the barrel, but it has to be tens of thousands. I restored it a few years ago, maybe some folks would laugh at the expense it took to do that, but I guess that they just don't "get it". I had a second cousin stop by this year, hadn't seen him in probably 3 decades, we got to talking guns, and I started showing him some of my stuff. I got to the model 15, and he looked...then his jaw dropped...and he says "That's the first gun I ever shot", his Uncle, my Grandpa, had taken him shooting for the first time in maybe '60... he was shaking when he picked it up.
Savage 15 NSN R.jpg

Savage 15 NSN R.jpg

My first "long gun" remington 870 WING MASTER, purchased it from a lady who moved out from her husband who was cheating on her. I told her that it was nice and she could sell it probally sell it for $300-$400 how it was, she asked me what I would pay her for it, I laughed and said I have a $50 she said "It's yours, its my ex husbands favorite."

My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 that I have had for 20 or so years. All of my kids have learned how to shoot on that old rifle and it has taken plenty of abuse and kept going. In about four years it will start teaching my first grandchild how to shoot. A couple of years ago it got some new cloths and a new barrel and keeps ticking away. We still love it and I am thinking about getting another one...who can own just one?

Ruger, 10-22. I got it from Bi-Mart in Corvallis while in college. Took a friend with me who was from New Jersery. He was astounded by the fact we could by guns and groceries at the same time. We told him welcome to the free(er) world.

I thought Bi-Mart only sold cheap furniture and guns... seriously, the only one I've ever been to didn't have any food in it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top