JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a lot of stories about Dad's or families passing down or presenting a gift to a young man as a coming of age or right of passage. Then there are those that came from non-gun or even anti-gun families.

Could of, would of... should of....

SF-

I like that... I'll have to get a good solid rifle for when I have a son to pass along it to... Maybe a .300 or something... I wonder what's a good modern rifle that will be a classic someday

1st weapon would be an M16A1, then A2, then an XM-177 w/ 203 grenade launcher.

1st weapon I purchased would of been my glock 21, beretta 84 FP, Norinco AK-47, and a Norinco SKS. That was a busy month once I turned 21 many many many moons ago.

First real rifle other than a pellet gun was a Ruger 10/22. Still have her though she's been through some changes. She's over 30 years old now.

First handgun I remember shooting was my dad's Colt Combat Commander. No wonder I love 1911 style guns!

First handgun purchased was a Magnum Research Baby Eagle in 9mm. Wish I still had that gun. What sweet trigger!

My first gun was a Marlin Model 39 Lever Action .22 LR. I will keep it forever. I recently mounted a scope on it. My dad got it for me when I was nearly 11.

I inherited a few guns from my grandfather, but this was my first of any kind.

Now for the first gun I got on my own, last August. This little beauty got me back into the shooting world after a time out for several years: Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm

Enjoy!

1991 Ruger Mark II Standard pistol. Was, and still is, great for inexpensive target shooting. Built like a tank. After unsuccessfully trying to sell it a few weeks back (it had been safe-bound for 10 years), I "snapped out of it" and have added it back into my range rotation.

I don't often shoot my Grandpa's .22. But everytime I do, I wonder why I don't take it more often. Shooting .22s is the best way to be sure that you haven't picked up any bad habits, and if you have, it's the best way to get rid of them.

Stevens break-action 12 gauge. Cheapest one at the pawnshop. I was only 18 and didn't have a lot of disposable income. It ended up over a drunken night receiving some modifications that basically made it look like a wicked prop from a zombie movie. It also made it really painful to shoot. When I came to my senses, after reading the laws, paranoia set in and the pirate pistol met with an acetylene torch. Do I miss it... yeah. That thing was ridiculous. :D

Stevens break-action 12 gauge. Cheapest one at the pawnshop. I was only 18 and didn't have a lot of disposable income. It ended up over a drunken night receiving some modifications that basically made it look like a wicked prop from a zombie movie. It also made it really painful to shoot. When I came to my senses, after reading the laws, paranoia set in and the pirate pistol met with an acetylene torch. Do I miss it... yeah. That thing was ridiculous. :D
Awwwwww.....those are only $5 to make them legal to own, too...if you tell them you found it that way...:s0131:

Mine was a little .22 rifle from Wal-Mart that my dad bought me when I was about 10 yrs old. My folks still have it at their place, and last time I went home to visit I took it squirrel huntin'. I blame that rifle for my affinity for iron sights.

First one I bought myself was my Sig P220 .45, I love that gun!

Ithaca .22 rimfire, think a model 40. Looked like a winchester 94, but had a martini action single shot. Had a shoe box taped to the bottom side of the rifle box and wrapped under the Christmas tree. Dear Dad told me it was a hockey stick. First I purchased was a Colt Trooper Model III for a Duty weapon.
Ah memories. To all young guys, don't sell firearm, unless it's just complete junk and has no personal history.
rhtwist

Like so many kids, my first gun was a Ruger 10/22 that was given to me in the early 70's by my dad. For the next 5 years up until I turned 18, I got a new gun on my birthday. Some were guns that he owned, others were bought new. Today, the 10/22 and a Remington 12ga. are still in my safe and neither has been fired in over 25 years.

Now that my father is gone, these two guns are part of what links me too him.

This seems like a good zombie thread to revive.
First gun I ever owned was also a ruger 10/22, blued, wood stock and no optics. I could hit anything dead on with that little plinker. Great gopher getter and a great first gun. First handgun I ever had was a iwi baby eagle, all steel. Still regret selling it in my twenties, but it set the tone for me to fall in love with .40s&w. Never really took too much liking in 9mm and .45acp is a bit overkill. I shoot others too, but to me the most practical defense arm had always been a .40s&w. You get the stopping power of a .45 tucked into a 9mm sized frame.
What was your first gun? What did you like/not like about it?

Browning BL 22. Bought it for myself as a young teenager from the original Larry's Sporting Goods in Gresham with money made from picking berries. Maybe 1971 or 72? My brother bought the fancier one (with checkering and gold trigger) on the same day. One of the dumbest things I ever did was sell that rifle ☹️

Last Edited:
That would be the Win Mod 75 my father gave me and I took rifle lessons at the Multnomah Club in PDX 1952

win75.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads