JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started becoming a firearms enthusiast in my early twenties. My brother took me to an indoor pistol range where I shot his Beretra 92FS.

Shortly there after I purchased my first pistol, a Ruger Mk III 22/45. My thought was that the 22lr cartridge was a great cartridge to get plenty of practice and trigger time with before stepping up to a center fire cartridge.

Yes.
I could not tell you where I read this, but in a gun mag 15-20 years ago it was mentioned that the long barrel 29 was nearly impossible to find and a 57 was substituted. No way to see the slight difference in bore diameter or the script on the gun. Since they are externally identical, who would know, right? Besides, who's gonna call Harry out on that? And that was at the time when some departments were using Model 57s and 58s.

I don't believe it was ever proven or disproven.
Not to hijack the thread but, the NRA curators have done a piece about this on YouTube, and many other YouTube so called gun experts. The NRA guys and the Dirty Harry director guy they interview who was given one of the 29s, never talked about a 57.

They said the studio's three magnum revolvers ended up being 6.5" S&W 29-2s but the director actually wanted the 29s in 4" barrel lengths for the Harry character. Turns out the 4" could not be bought or borrowed in time so they used the now famous 6.5" model 29s.

With the exception of the "feel lucky" scene and the movie posters of the same shot, where they used a 29 with the 8 1/4" barrel.

I was not there but that's what the "Internet" says so it must be true :cool::eek:

Yes.
I could not tell you where I read this, but in a gun mag 15-20 years ago it was mentioned that the long barrel 29 was nearly impossible to find and a 57 was substituted. No way to see the slight difference in bore diameter or the script on the gun. Since they are externally identical, who would know, right? Besides, who's gonna call Harry out on that? And that was at the time when some departments were using Model 57s and 58s.

I don't believe it was ever proven or disproven.
I did a tiny bit more research after I posted my response to your claim.
If you ever find that article, you might want to write to the Internet Movie Gun Data Base (IMGDB) and let them know,
They only list the Model 29 and the Auto-Mag as Callahan's guns.

Dean

Its funny how often people equate the Auto Mag with Dirty Harry.
He only used it in one movie.
"The Dirty Harry Gun" is actually a 6" S&W Model 29.

Dug around and pulled out the S&W from the safe. Group photo. ;)

Can't be Dirty Harry with one and not the other. Right?

20201127_131728.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads