JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 783082

Back in the Summer of '52, my dad and I were sat down on that beach, about half-way up from where you see in this photo. He reached into his old ex-Army gas-mask bag, and hauled out a Colt Model 1911, a loaded magazine, and some cotton wool. The cotton wool having been stuffed into my ears, he reached around my back and firmly clasped the grip between my two much smaller hands, cocked it and let me fire off the contents into the oncoming waves.

You'll be gratified to learn that I hit every one of them smack bang in the curly bit.

I was hooked forever.

I was six years and three months old.
Awesome story man and gorgeous photo!

I've also got the Super Redhawk version....kinda.........................no laffin', please. Hereabouts this thing is worth around $2K.

1606404619139.png

My introduction to firearms was through a Ruger Mark II, 22LR.

I grew up in a middle-class, suburban, non-firearms family. Not anti-gun, just not involved in firearms.

At 30 years old I finally got interested enough to purchase my Mark II. Back in the early 80's firearms instruction, per-se, was not readily available if you were not a member of the NRA or of a range or gun club. Most people learned firearms shooting and safety and maintenance from family or friends - but that was not my situation. So, I read up on firearms like a mad-man and taught myself up in the woods. It was good no one was around me in the early days. ;)

After becoming proficient with the Mark II, I bought a stainless, SA, Beretta 70 in 380 ACP. Pretty gun, but not a user friendly pistol. I really learned a lot by becoming proficient with that platform.

Then came my first DA/SA - a S&W 456. EDIT: It was a 469.

Ran DA/SA for a long time until 1999 when I purchased my first striker fired plastic pistol - Gen 3 Glock 26.

Since then I've run a whole lot of different platforms - except 1911.

Then, about a year ago I picked up my first 1911. A cheapie that I could dissect and alter and mess around with - a learning gun. (It shoots pretty well, too).

Just picked up my second 1911 in 45 ACP.

I think I may need to join "1911's Anonymous" pretty soon, as I can feel the addiction tugging at me.

Cheers.

Last Edited:
My introduction to firearms was through a Ruger Mark II, 22LR.

I grew up in a middle-class, suburban, non-firearms family. Not anti-gun, just not involved in firearms.

At 30 years old I finally got interested enough to purchase my Mark II. Back in the early 80's firearms instruction, per-se, was not readily available if you were not a member of the NRA or of a range or gun club. Most people learned firearms shooting and safety and maintenance from family or friends - but that was not my situation. So, I read up on firearms like a mad-man and taught myself up in the woods. It was good no one was around me in the early days. ;)

After becoming proficient with the Mark II, I bought a stainless, SA, Beretta 70 in 380 ACP. Pretty gun, but not a user friendly pistol. I really learned a lot by becoming proficient with that platform.

Then came my first DA/SA - a S&W 456.

Ran DA/SA for a long time until 1999 when I purchased my first striker fired plastic pistol - Gen 3 Glock 26.

Since then I've run a whole lot of different platforms - except 1911.

Then, about a year ago I picked up my first 1911. A cheapie that I could dissect and alter and mess around with - a learning gun. (It shoots pretty well, too).

Just picked up my second 1911 in 45 ACP.

I think I may need to join "1911's Anonymous" pretty soon, as I can feel the addiction tugging at me.

Cheers.
1911's are nice! I've never owned one but shot one a few times, Mark II is the second gun I've ever shot I love the design of that gun. There is definitely a good following for 1911 fans

Some pimp named Slickback Lamar drove the barrel of his 45 into my forehead telling me he didn't want no southie moving on his turf. I told him I was just trying to go to the Dollar Tree, where he then apologized saying he thought I was somebody else.
I hope that was a joke had me laughing my as* off if that's a true story that's wild lol
It was a joke. I was in a silly mood :)

Around age five I discovered that putting a few holes into something, made it much more compliant at becoming dinner.

This revelation came to me shortly after my Fathers gift of a handy little 67 Winchester bolt action single shot rifle.
A straight shooting rifle and a little kid with good eye's and time on his hand's was just what the pantry needed.

Today it is my belief that this was Dad's plan all along.
The 67 is what started my journey too!

Dang! This may be a dumb question but you are able to scope in with that? I've never shot something like that wouldn't have a clue as to how to hold it, what kind of shooting do you use it for?

Long range pistol - shot off a rest. 100, 200 and 300m with heavy .357Mag loads - yes, it's only a .357Mag. Scope is a Burris 2 - 7x40 LER.

I received my first exposure to firearms through my father who was a LEO. I remember as a kid in the mid 60's going to shooting ranges at night that were all lit up, and being fascinated by the noise, regimentation of a LEO shooting range, and the smell of burnt powder. This was in Southern California in LA, Riverside and Imperial counties. The shooting ranges were quite sophisticated with below grade galleys where targets were raised up and down on counterbalanced stands. He would take me into each of the jails where he worked in corrections and I was always impressed by these large caliber revolvers in black dyed leather belts and holsters. Later in my early teens my grandfather and uncle further exposed me to firearms when they took me shooting out in the Mojave desert. The first gun I actually shot was my grandfather's Smith and Wesson .22 Kit pistol. The second, that same trip, was my uncles Ruger Mark I Target with 5.5" bull barrel. Later on a different visit, my uncle would take me back out to the desert where he would let me shoot his Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. I remember we built up some half powered loads just for my use as my uncle thought it was going to be too much having me shoot the fully charged load. I would spend countless hours in my grandfathers shop, sitting next to him telling stories about him as a boy taking off for days at a time, packing his Winchester Gallery plinker, exploring the hills above Hollywood in the early 20s. I would spend hours when I could poring through an old copy of the Gun Digest, or Sears catalog dreaming of which .22 rifle I wanted. Later around 14 I purchased my first rifle, a Marlin 783 .22 magnum at Bob Kennedys in Medford Oregon. Bob was a great guy. As a kid I would spend hours walking the wooden floors, looking through the cases of guns he had. Bob had all sorts of other things he sold from old furniture, tools, spare parts, it was sort of a second hand store. The dust in that place covered everything.

Boy Scout Troop 125, summer of 1970, Camp Omache...basic firearm safety training followed by shooting single shot .22 rifles at probably 25 feet...I shot like crap, but that planted the bug.

That's awesome! I've seen people in Texas shooting wild pigs with an AR but sounds like you had to get down and dirty which is the way to start in my opinion. I can respect learning shotguns early I feel like they tend to have more kick then most modern sporting rifles today once you can handle that shotgun recoil I'm sure it makes shooting other firearms much easier! My father has never been in my life yet alone taught me a life skill like shooting but I've been fortunate enough to meet some knowledgeable friendly accurate shooters! Once I have my own kids I definitely want to start a tradition. Get them at 10/22 teach them firearm safety and how to properly use it; and hopefully they will pass down the traditional to kids of their own.
I think that's the best way to ensure future generations will fight for their gun rights also. Agreed on starting with a shotgun, I'm pretty thankful for my stepdad my blood father is pretty liberal. I fell FAAAARRR from that tree. He's a really good man but has spent his whole life in the SF Bay area so....

The first experience I can remember, I must have been 10 or so. My dad, his friend and me went out into the woods. They taught me on a 22 revolver of some sort. We were shooting at stuff with the 22, then my dad takes out his 44. I kept shooting the 22. My dad and his friend took turns shooting his 44.

When he passed away it came to me. This was the first firearm that I absolutely fell in love with (this was BEFORE Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry) and is a passion today.

20201126_181033.jpg

The first experience I can remember, I must have been 10 or so. My dad, his friend and me went out into the woods. They taught me on a 22 revolver of some sort. We were shooting at stuff with the 22, then my dad takes out his 44. I kept shooting the 22. My dad and his friend took turns shooting his 44.

When he passed away it came to me. This was the first firearm that I absolutely fell in love with (this was BEFORE Clint Eastwood and Dirty Harry) and is a passion today.

View attachment 783328
Automag? Awesome :D

View attachment 783328
Its funny how often people equate the Auto Mag with Dirty Harry.
He only used it in one movie.
"The Dirty Harry Gun" is actually a 6" S&W Model 29.

I was a Webelo in the late 60's.
MAN! I haven't heard anyone mention Webelo for ages! I was one in the early 70's. We didn't do any marksmanship, but it was eastern Oregon where that was usually taken care of at home.
I've also got the Super Redhawk version....kinda.........................no laffin', please. Hereabouts this thing is worth around $2K.

View attachment 783083
the only laughable part is the required extension thingie. Nice handgun.
Its funny how often people equate the Auto Mag with Dirty Harry.
He only used it in one movie.
"The Dirty Harry Gun" is actually a 6" S&W Model 29.
OR quite likely a 57 that was substituted because 29's were hard to find.

My introduction was this rifle and Dad, an NRA instructor, with me sitting in front of him learning to squeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. We still own that property. I'll keep this gun til I pass it down' to one of my nephews who learned the same way, at the same place from the same man. Every time I touch that gun the memories flow. These days followed by the tears. I miss the hell out of that man. I changed the scope a dozen years ago, but kept the original Weaver 6x.
81DL d.JPG
Just for fun I'll post this pic. This is Dad standing next to Grandpa (who purchased this rifle new) in his car at Bedford Point Lookout in 1950. (east of Estacada). The Marlin was in the lookout tower that summer. Under the buttplate it says so. The car? 1930 Model A Ford. It's in my garage.:D
John and Rollie B Model A Bedford Point 1950.jpg
I learned to shoot just over the first ridge.

orygun,

Are you saying they in fact did use a model 57 in some scenes in various Dirty Harry movies, instead of the Model 29?
First I've heard of that.

orygun,

Are you saying they in fact did use a model 57 in some scenes in various Dirty Harry movies, instead of the Model 29?
First I've heard of that.
Yes.
I could not tell you where I read this, but in a gun mag 15-20 years ago it was mentioned that the long barrel 29 was nearly impossible to find and a 57 was substituted. No way to see the slight difference in bore diameter or the script on the gun. Since they are externally identical, who would know, right? Besides, who's gonna call Harry out on that? And that was at the time when some departments were using Model 57s and 58s.

I don't believe it was ever proven or disproven.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top