JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I don't have cable and I'm trying to melt bath water:confused:,I was clicking thru You Tube.
Came across The Late Boy Scout's vids he did at Shot Show,asking YT guys those questions.What was your favorite outdoor memory,what was your first knife and what was your first gun
Check it out,fun stuff and will bring back your best times

OK,so I'll start
First gun was a bolt action (probably) Western Auto (I think that's where we got it) 20 gauge
Which ties into my best and worse outdoor memories. Worst was I didn't get a 22lr as a kid:(
My best was being a kid out in the woods of Mason county Wa,fishing and hunting and living in the woods.My parents bought a house on Toten Inlet.Everyone thought we were rich,lol,but we lived in this cabin my dad remodeled into a nice house.We would walk thru the brush to this pot hole to hunt duck. Or take the pram out front cutthroat fishing,claming,oystering? (yeah I know ,picking oysters)
I couldn't tell you my first knife as that was 50+ years ago and I now I'd lose them fairly fast.
But my favorite would be my Shrade-Walden.Typical leather handled hunting knife my dad won playing pull tabs,lol at the Golden Pheasant.It's still there on the 101,too

Kamp King was first knife.

Ithaca M49 was first rifle.

As my family didn't camp growing up (father was raised a hillbilly in NE Wa.State and moved from logging camp to logging camp so he hated camping - too much like growing up I guess) my favorite outdoor memory came as a young adult. Backpacking with cousin / brother around Mt. Adams for a week.

Winchester Model 67 Bolt action single shot .22 rifle. I was five or six.
My dad also gave me his bone handle hunting knife. He had it for years before I came along.

Both are wore out. But at 48 years old. I still have them.;)

If you do the math. I was borne in 67. So the Rifle was perfect!

Age 4 I was fascinated with guns (obsessed says my mom), so she had my grandfather go buy a crossman pumpmaster, .22lr Ruger Standard and a S&W 39-2 9mm.

My first memories were going out the dirt road at 4 in my grandfathers lap driving a 1973 Chevy pickup to the shooting pit.

First knife was a POS folder I bought in Singapore at age 6 and talked the vendor down from approximately $5 to something like 75¢.

First rifle I bought myself was on my 18th birthday, a Marlin SS 60 with a black/grey laminate stock I still own everything above but the knife. Although I've kept every knife since then.

I also was given a German 9 shot .22 revolver about the same age.
Dad had that one for years before I was born also.

I wore the gun out shooting it until it shaved lead so bad it was dangerous.
Last year I bought every internal part for the little gun from Numrich.

It's all new now and shoots like it. I didn't even think of having the gun refinished.
It's earned that worn finish. ;)

First knife was made by grandpa from an old saw blade...Spent many a day out in the fields throwing it at snakes and be-heading them..I was six at the time. My first gun...I was nine..was home made by a neighbor....It shot spoke shanks from Harley Davidson wheels.

I found a rusty and broken Daisey BB gun in the neighbors trash and after I dragged it home, I convinced my mom that it didn't function, so she let me keep it.
Two months later, I had traded a neighbor kid some of my comic books and cash for a working Crossman CO2 pellet gun rifle and she never did catch on.
As far as knives go, my first edged weapon was a roofers shingle hatchet that was dropped into some bushes on a roofing job and left behind.
I got really good at throwing that thing and making it stick into trees.

In this order:
First knife- Mom and Dad took me to Anderson's sporting goods in salem to get it once i became a Boy Scout

Best outdoor memory-first buck

First Gun-glenfield model 25 when i was 8. was officially mine when i was 10 when Grandpa passed.

2 pics of My sons first gun-stevens 73y that a fellow member here/co-worker gifted me. i don't have any before pics but, I refinished the stock and took from a beater to a nice little single shot. He'll get it when he's ready. He's not even 2 yet

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

First knife was a small Italian folder given to me by my grand dad when I was borne. I didn't offically get it until I was six. First rifle that was all mine was a Anshutz Mod 54 in .22 and that same year I mowed enough grass to buy (with my grand dads help) a Winchester mod 52 match .22 that was one of the very first built after the U.S. olympic shooting teams rifles were made! Its identical to those and still shoots amazing! Best memories were Boy Scout jamboree at Spirit Lake before it blew!

First knife wow hard to remember 50+years ago. I know the first knife I started carrying to school besides my scout knife was a Case Pearl Handle Produce knife (single blade about 3.5-4" long and only about 1/2" wide.) Followed by a Case large Sodbuster.

First rifle after the Crossman Pumpmaster BB gun. Was a Winchester model 121 single shot bolt action .22 at 14 still have it

My best out door experiance no clue but loosing my viginity in a city park has to rank right up there. You asked lol.

First knife was a small Italian folder given to me by my grand dad when I was borne
So grandad gave you a switchblade as your first knifeo_O
I like him already
First knife wow hard to remember 50+years ago.
No shyte huh?
Case,forgot about those. I'm sure 1 of those were in there,Shrades were big then,I know there was some kind of knife in there with a leather punch
Which 1 was first? Ha,dad,uncle or gramps didn't ask anyone before they gave you a knife. You needed to have 1

I found a case xx something in a box of stuff when we unpacked when moving into our current home 11ish years ago.

For the life of me I couldn't and can't remember where or how I got it - dang near new condition but no sheath. Told my wife about it and she says I had it when we met (at 17). I know I had a crappy Rambo fixed blade but for the life of me I cant remember where the case knife came from.

Put a razor edge on it and tossed it in my tackle box lol.

Outdoor experiences:

California: shooting with grandpa.

Texas: air shows and shooting with the other grandpa.

Jungles of Indonesia: camping, jungle "runs" (set courses, kinda like an iron man), trip to the equator, trip to an island at the center of a solar eclipse, sailing catamarans and picking shells, snorkeling and being towed on a knee board...

Singapore: fruit and vendor markets count?

Thailand: Buddhist temples and street vendors.

Japan: vending machines and arcades lol

PNW: Boyscout everything - national jamboree, order of the arrow and a few other "elite?" camps. Out on our acreage getting into trouble. Short summers on lakes and rivers. Skiing Mt Hood. Paintball in the woods.

Met my wife while camping with friends and rafting the Lewis river at night 22 years ago.

First knife was a Simplex folder. It had a nail file and scissors too. My father was an electrician for Simplex and gave it to me when I was five. I lost it in the woods one day when I was about 10.
First gun was a gift from my Grandfather. He was a police officer in Massachusetts for a few years and he gave me his old Iver Johnson top break .38
I was 18. That was my first carry gun as in NH you can get a permit at 18 for $10. You pick it up a couple days later.
Best outdoor memory is hard.
Definitely one of those mornings getting up early to go fishing with my dad. He died last March in his Simplex van in Boston.
I remember early one morning we went fishing on our Kmart special yellow inflatable raft. My dad asked me to grab the tackle box and hand it to him. Apparently it was unlatched and it opened when I picked it up.
Slow motion horror ensued as we watched knives and hooks fall into the inflatable raft. Miraculously there were no punctures.
We laughed about that for a long time.

First knife was a swiss army knife my dad got when he was in the Military in France, sadly I lost it after some moves in my teen after that was and old timer I still have and is about 30 years old. My first was a 357 Magnum, ok just kidding it was a older 22LR don't recall brand but was single shot and I often shot my 1967 Model 66 Crossman BBgun was always strapped to my bike, I had it along time I think it was around until just a few years ago. We shot 22lr and arrows in Scouts always had firearms when camping as far back as I can recall.

First knife was a lineman's folder, included in the electrician's toolkit my dad gave me for my 11th birthday. I still have that knife and the T&B dyke/crimpers. I didn't consider it a knife, it was a tool.
First real knife was a Rapala filet that I bought in high school for you know what. I threw it out when the handle split >20 years later.
First gun was Grandpa's Springfield bolt action single shot 20ga. Kicked harder than any gun I own except for the 416Rigby. Developed a lot of bad habits with that one. First one I bought was a Win 270.

Best memories are a tossup. Too many to think of from the Boundary Waters between Minnesota and Canada, or 3 summers in Bridger NF in Wyoming including 6 weeks up on the great divide. Prolly my favorite is hiking to a lake I know as Cirque Lake (not the one right outside of Jackson), came over the ridge and saw wakes all across the lake. Thought, "damn, biggest water bugs I've ever seen." Turns out it was cuttthroat, cruising the surface with their dorsal fins breaking water. Too many wind gusts so couldn't fly fish worth a damn, but as far as you could cast a spoon, you could see it. I would set the hook by sight rather than feel.

My best outdoor memory: Taking my first rifle (a Mosin Nagant) into the woods. NC has some thick brush so it doesn't take too long to think of how that turned out. Still liked it though. Course its in the hands of my best friend, but that's a different story for another time.

First gun was a .22 with an octagonal barrel. Don't remember what is was, but I remember polishing that stock and barrel. Pretty gun. First knife was a Buck folder (101?) in a leather case. Lost it during a move (Dad was Army). When I went to Viet Nam I got another one, which I still have. Outdoor memory was with my Uncle, a tough old Alaskan who went deer hunting with a knife. Sometimes he won, sometimes not. Anyway, he gave me and my brother Buck fixed blade knives (I still have mine), and off we went with a jacket, two matches, too hooks/leaders and our fishing poles (brother was 6 and I was 8) to some place called Cold Lake in the Colorado Rockies. Snow was still on the ground, but the mosquitos had hatched, and man were there a ton of 'em. Brother and I had to build a shelter, start a fire and keep it going for 2 days and nights, and feed ourselves. We weren't babes in the woods as he had already taken us camping and taught us to forage, fish, build a small fire, build a shelter of sorts against rocks so fire heat would be reflected back at us. We certainly didn't gain weight on this trip, but we did OK with a stew of trout, dandelion leaves and old pine nuts. He did keep an eye on us and stopped us from chasing down chipmunks with our new knives, building the fire too close to the shelter, and adding a bit more fish to our coffee can stew. Hated it at the time, but have appreciated it ever since for lots of obvious reasons.

Shooting my dad's 1991 Colt Series 80. Yes, it eventually disappeared due to various jams but I remember shooting it and I couldn't stop grinning for days. He still tells the story of starting me off on his Mark 1 and then me shooting up all his .45 rounds the same day and asking for more. It was never actually "mine" but at the time it sure seemed like it. MY first rifle was a Sears and Roebuck .22 bolt action that eventually gave up the ghost due to a broken firing pin. But that Colt....I remember it like it was yesterday.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top