JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it was Red Dot for some .38 Specials, and some Alcan AL-7 for .357 Magnums. Later I bought some DuPont IMR-4064 for my new .243 Win. to load some 80 gr Speer Spitzers for ground squirrels. That was over 35 years ago. Time flies when we're having fun.

This thread is really about getting all us geezers to admit how old we are isn't it? Since I started over 50 years ago and I was not the one buying the powder I am not sure it was Unique, but there is a good chance because I started loading shot shells and my grandfather always bought Hercules powders. There was only one place to get powder in that time and place as far as I know and that was probably the only brand available there.
The first powder I ever bought for myself was probably Unique for the same reasons........

It didn't have a brand name we used to get these yellow rocks and mash them up and mix them with charcoal and whizz on that, dry it in the sun and shoot dinosaurs.............um, or maybe it was Unique something in a Hercules can for sure, I think..........and this post just proves what Wayne was saying, whatever that was...................

To answer that question one must know the first caliber..
.300 Savage

I chose an old powder that was well used in the heyday of .300 Savage reloading: IMR3031

So; the answer is 3031 out of necessity.

It didn't have a brand name we used to get these yellow rocks and mash them up and mix them with charcoal and whizz on that, dry it in the sun and shoot dinosaurs.............um, or maybe it was Unique something in a Hercules can for sure, I think..........and this post just proves what Wayne was saying, whatever that was...................

Sure Kirk

The Ruger M77, Flat bolt, 6mm Remington is currently on consignment at my local gunsmith's. It got down to where I had to choose the Ruger M77, or the Winchester Model 70 (5 years newer) in 30-06. The Winchester won, though I sure hate to give up the Ruger. I liked the 6mm Remington better than the .243 Winchester and I liked the tang safety Ruger M77. As my dad tells me, life is tough, and then you die.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top