JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.22 model 60 when I was around 8, just plinkin in the back field/valley with grampa. I do remember a neighbor who had my older sis shoot his 30-06 when she was around 11-12, very awkward conversations between the two families after that as she was pretty well banged up. He didnt show her anything and if I remember correct he didnt even make sure she/us had our ears protected.

It was a 1949 Mossberg M146-B (T-bolt). Has a tubular magazine and fires Shorts, Longs and L.R. Has a 26" barrel, Montecarlo stock, Schnable fore end, adjustable trigger, hooded, adjustable, target front irons and a target disc receiver sight.
It was my dads and he had to set it up in a rest for me to fire. I was 4yrs old! I couldn't sholder the monster! It resides in a prominent slot in my safe. In the mid 1980's the rifle was gone through mechanically and polished, blued and wood refinished at the Kimber of Oregon facility in Clackamas OR, where I worked as a machinist (triggers, sears and extractors).

My first love is this single shot 16 gauge shotgun. Worn, but still readable, are the manufacturers stamps indicating it was built by Iver Johnson Arm's and Cycle Works. I was still fairly young when my uncle gave it to me as a graduation present in or about the late 60's (graduating from BB guns :)). I have no idea how old it is. She's not much by today's standards, but the memories fused into the metal and wood of this old girl are priceless. This is the one that the anti-freedom crowd will have to pry from my fingers as I lie in a pile of brass.

Ex Gladio Libertas

0104150546.jpg

I was about 8, a Winchester Mod. 1906 my Grand father bought new before the war. That gun was carried in farm trucks and use as a gopher getter for years while I was growing up. I still have it.

Ruger Single Six for me. Dad didn't have many guns but that one was the main handgun of the house for years. Old blued model with a 6in barrel. In the family photos it makes the rare appearance in photos usually showing trout caught that day :)

First rimfire was a Browning Autoloader. I believe we were shooting .22 shorts in it, but I could be wrong. It seems to me the older ones could shoot shorts, longs and long rifle. I don't know if there was an adjustment or not. I was shooting at a small shooting gallery within a commercial roller coaster park in Spokane. I think it is long gone.

My first hand gun was my Granddad's break top H&R 9 shooter .22

Dad's 30-30 model 94 was the first centerfire rifle, JC Higgins 16 gauge bolt action for a shotgun.

While I know the Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum was not the first centerfire handgun I fired, it is the first I remember.

The first firearm was my Grandpa's Marlin 81DL 22, a gun my dad had used in his youth, too. Had to put the butt under my arm cuz there was no way I could hold it properly. Dad refused to cut the stock to fit me. Glad he didn't because we still have that gun and even though I don't shoot it very often, I'll not part with it until it's time to hand it down to another generation.
I was 6.
The first handgun was Grandpa's Ruger Standard 22. Still have that one, too.
I was 7.
These were the only firearms I shot until I shot Grandpa's 30-30 at age 12. Guess what? Still have that one, too.

See a pattern here? :D

A Benelli auto 12 gauge. My dad and his friends would shoot clays at our bay house back in New York. They were probably not the most responsible guys letting a 7 year old kid shoot a full size 12 gauge. It knocked me on my a$$. But I have been hooked ever since. My first gun I bought myself was a mini 14. I decked that bad boy out with everything I could buy from Cabeleas. Flash hider, barrel shroud, a butler creek folding stock that didn't fold. But I quickly figured out that it was just a plastic spacer stuck in there which I removed. Loved that gun and I wish I still had it.

Pretty sure it was a Winchester model 55 Semi auto single shot .22 Since that was dads .22 at the time I was the right age to shot for the first time. I have no memory of the event. Possibly because we did so much shooting as kids. Hundreds of hours of wandering around the countryside shooting most anything we could with everything from BB guns to deer rifles. By the time I was a Freshman in High school I had shot up a whole wooden crate of 30M1 through one of dads carbines (man was he pissed).

I was reloading by age 11

A Glenfield Model 20, a random birthday surprise when I came home from school a few decades ago..We were not a gun/hunting household whatsoever so it was a complete surprise. I have some great memories of going up to an old rock quarry near Acme and shooting with him over the years. I had it until 7 months ago, when some lowlife broke in and stole it. Unfortunately in my infinite wisdom I kept my serial number records on my computer, which was also stolen, so I'll never see it again. It wasn't worth anything, but it meant alot to me. I really hate thieves.

I was 4 years old when my grandfather took me out to boonies.

Got to steer the truck down the gravel road.

He went out and bought a Ruger MK1 and a S&W 39 9mm and a cross man pump (maybe a 760?).

I still have the two firearms in a safe and still take them out to shoot. Reminds me of being a kid every time I pull the trigger.

First shots were on my dad's Ruger 10/22 when I was young. Probably 7-8 years old (though I think possibly a little younger).

Dad passed away 8 years ago but I still have that Ruger 10/22.

It'll be the rifle my son learns on when he's old enough.

I can remember the rifle ranges at the YMCA summer camp I attended. They had bolt-action .22 rifles and I could remember thinking they were so weird because you could only load one bullet at a time.

First gun I ever shot was a ruger 10/22 I got for Christmas when I was 12. We went over to the Public Safety Training Center in Clack to pull the trigger for the first time. My first handgun was shot the same day.

My father took me to the rental rack and said I could choose any one. I chose the S&W Model 29. I did not want to go back to the ruger haha.

Probably a T Barker single shot 410. Then my own 20ga. bolt action, Western Auto.
I didn't get a 22 till I bought one ,cause Dad almost shot a guy while 'playing' in the woods,when he was a kid.
It wasn't fair:(

Mine were entirely inappropriate for my size and age (about 9).

A 12 Ga. shotgun and a 30-06 bolt action rifle. Not particularly fun but I saw the utility in them. It was the '60's, so no hearing protection, of course.

Couple years later for my birthday I got a Remington Nylon 66 in green. Wish I still had it, what a great little rifle.

An old bolt action, single shot .22 Stevens rifle. Dad used to get the orange 100-round mini-mag boxes. With the cone shaped breech burning my thumb every time I had to press a round in and then having to cock the striker manually with every shot, we usually only shot 25 rounds per trip at most.

Later, he let me shoot his S&W model 67 .38 special. When he started grumbling about wanting to trade for a .357, I went and bought him a GP100 so he wouldn't trade away "my" model 67...

Fond memories that developed into firearms being my career.

Mine has to be a little different;

I'm from England, where guns are taboo/unheard of/eventually banned altogether.

The first firearm i fired was a 12ga double, at a county fair aged about 8. I think i was allowed ~6 shots at clays, hit the first two, missed the next two and had to ask the guy what i was firing out the barrel (8 years old and no idea what a shotgun fired or any life experience available for learning)

Hit the last two ;)

Didn't fire a gun again until i was 24 :(

when i was 4 my dad let me shoot his ted williams special 22 made for sears.i can still remember the powder smell and that sweet crack a 22 makes.when i was six my uncle gave me a single shot glenfeild chipmunk,which is deadly accurate.ive put thousands of rounds thru that gun,shot grouse,rabbits and a lot of cans.still have both guns in the safe and take them out once or twice a year.thanks for bringing up this topic it really warms my heart.:)

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

.38 special revolver when I was about 6, some 62 years ago.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top