JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Definitely uniqueness or limited production and how long ago they were made add to the value. Custom makers make one of the kinds and depending on who they are and their reputation can have a crazy value. It's not uncommon for some knives to sell for $5000. There seems to be a lot of newer people that are in the EDC gear that will buy $500 knives from better production companies. For example Chris Reeves knives has been in Business for 30 years, production is increasing all the time and they can't keep up with the demand they start around 500 bucks. Then there are the people that buy the production knives that are limited production runs from Benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco and many different brands and after the run is done those could increase in value also.

i'm sure companies market via social media I don't really have any social media I'm an old fart. Just online forums.

I'll have to check it out.

What's driving the movement? Is it the internet? Or is it a long-standing culture of folks buying and selling "deemed" collectible knives.

I understand the gun realm because I've been in it forever. I know nothing about the knife realm.

Are companies marketing via social media?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the value and how they are established? With guns it's many things. Uniqueness, no longer made, extremely high quality. But all levels get enthusiastic users that shoot them. With knives I'm curious if there are cutting competitions? Throwing competitions? What is driving folks to buy these expensive knives? How much better is a $4000 knife over a $50? I've seen $4000 guns against $200 guns and that entirely makes sense to me, but a knife…!?!?
Driving the movement? The same aspects that drive any collectable tool/art/item. Rarity, desirability, materials used, etc.

All knife companies use social media these days. I follow a couple like Kershaw, zt, Spyderco on FB and IG.

There are ABS Master Smith knives that sell for 6 figures. Mosaic Damascus, mammoth ivory, gold, mokume, engravings. They get expensive fast. Lots of knives are made solely to be art/collectable.

1664731711262.png

On the flip side of the crazy custom pieces, there are production knives made by famous makers like Randall, Dozier, Loveless that will always have a strong following.

"Driving the movement"...
MMmmmm.....
Speaking only for myself here :

Being able to carry a knife and take of it....is a sign of trust.
Having my Grandfather and Dad.....see that I was mature enough to be given a knife and learn how to use it and take of it...
Was a big deal for a little Andy many moons ago.
Been carrying a pocket knife of some sort for so many years ....if for some reason I ain't carrying one...I feel naked.

Also seeing as how the knife is one of mankind's oldest tools...
It is neat to have various types for various uses....plain knives or fancy knives all have a place with me.
Andy

There is a huge group of knife collectors, more than gun collectors. But then some people even collect rocks. What ever floats your boat. When looking in my wife's closet I swear she collects 'shoes'. LOL.
Then there are those who are not collectors, but knife nuts, just like gun nuts. Call it an addiction or maybe just an obsession. Then those who simply see them as tool, just like a gun and might only own one or two.
I am sure that most of us on NWFA own more than just one or two guns. :)

Take a look at Benchmade Balisongs or butterfly knives. Years back the 4x series sold NIB for under $200. Today you can easily sell one for $600 - $700.
Then look at Microtech OTF auto knives. They were spendy when they first came out as they were the first 'quality' production OTF knife. Then other makers joined in producing them and competition brought the price down.

Maybe some of the old timers here will remember Blade Auction back in the day.
In the last few minutes of an auction bidding wars would go off. I know that after a few? drinks I got caught up with 'needing to win' and overpaid for a knife. LOL

Bottom line, whether guns or knives, buy what YOU like and buy the very best that you can afford.

Back when I was a young studly Airborne Ranger LRSD / LRRP trooper....
Anyone who was cool , just had to have the Gerber MkII .

So naturally I bought one from the PX..
While I have no doubt it made for a fine fighting knife , it did not make the cut as a field knife.
I made far more use of my Blackjack Model 5 during field exercises and deployments.
After a while of really trying to like and use this knife , as a knife , I ended up selling it.
Andy
Too much Sykes-Fairbairn as a kid, I'd wager.

Too much Sykes-Fairbairn as a kid, I'd wager.
Had one of those too....
A for real English made one...bought as a graduation gift for myself , after Ranger School.
It was NOS from WWII....a neat knife...I gave it and the Ranger Tab that was Pinned / Tabbed on me after graduation , to a former student of mine , when he graduated from Ranger School.
Andy

Last Edited:
Thanks for the explanations. I'm not coming at this to offend anyone. I am just curious how deep the rabbit hole goes with knives in current and historical times. Makes sense hearing that its a global thing, I tend to discount much of the world or even a good percentage of our country when it comes to lots of things. I do a better job keeping track of the gun side of items that have a restrictive political attribute. I definitely take knives and knife related laws here in OR for granted. There are so many things I don't know. Things I have never researched or put much thought to. I just figured the market was so saturated with inexpensive but high quality knives these days, how the hell do some knives cost $$$$$$$? I get working knives, I worked at Outback Steakhouse as a kid in high school for 3 years. I learned to appreciate restaurant grade knives and a good quality sharpening system. However, those restaurant grade knives still don't cost what I've seen knives listed here on occasion for. Admittedly, I don't always look at knife adds here, but sometimes one will come up and I'll look. I'm often surprised by the asking prices. Knowing there is more too it helps.

Driving the movement? The same aspects that drive any collectable tool/art/item. Rarity, desirability, materials used, etc.

All knife companies use social media these days. I follow a couple like Kershaw, zt, Spyderco on FB and IG.

There are ABS Master Smith knives that sell for 6 figures. Mosaic Damascus, mammoth ivory, gold, mokume, engravings. They get expensive fast. Lots of knives are made solely to be art/collectable.

View attachment 1285753

On the flip side of the crazy custom pieces, there are production knives made by famous makers like Randall, Dozier, Loveless that will always have a strong following.
The longer you look at that knife the more insane it becomes!

Wow!

Purely speculation, but I'd say that is a skilled knife maker challenging himself more than anything else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top