JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
after reading the thread "eat what you shoot philosophy" got me wondering if any of you have eaten any of the following and thoughts. After some of these are survival food . and there may be some that want to be ethical varmint slayers

sage rats
Jack rabbits
squirrel
Bear
opossum
coyote
Cougars (not the over 40 type )

i would like to hunt and eat jack rabbits but a friend of mine said they are parasite infested while others have said most meat you eat has parasites like pork and deer even beef and including trout and salmon and other fish and just make sure you cook it all the way and your ok

i carry a cougar tag in case i see one but i don't think i want to eat a cat even a large one.

I've eaten rabbit & squirrel. Not so good, but that's what happens when it's basically a dare when you're out shooting & camping. I have no doubt they'd be great if I had them in my kitchen @home.

I've caught trout out of horse lake using squirrel intestine as bait on a trip back in '95 or so.

My main concern with jack rabbits is that their fleas can carry tularemia.

I've eaten wild rabbit that we shot with a .22 down at Delta park back in the days when you wouldn't have a Swat team called on you, the taste was better than store bought in my opinion.

I've eaten lots of Rabbit and Squirrel in my younger days. Rabbit, pretty tastey. Squirrel, not so good.

Shot a squirrel one weekend while on a hunting/fishing trip with my dead and spitted it on a green stick and cooked it over the camp fire. You could have driven tent pegs with it. :s0114:

My friend cooked up a nutria and served it to his wife and kid for dinner. Didn't mention what it was, they both enjoyed the taste and asked what it was, then they were promptly not hungry anymore. I wonder why? It tasted and smelled great until they knew what kind of meat it was!:D:D

My friend cooked up a nutria and served it to his wife and kid for dinner. Didn't mention what it was, they both enjoyed the taste and asked what it was, then they were promptly not hungry anymore. I wonder why? It tasted and smelled great until they knew what kind of meat it was!:D:D

What I've heard is that Nutria are not native to the United States. They were originally brought into the country by entrepreneurs in the South, I think LA, to farm and raise for food. Turns out people couldn't get used to the idea of eating a rodent and some of the farming operations went bust and the Nutria were let go or escaped.

What I've heard is that Nutria are not native to the United States. They were originally brought into the country by entrepreneurs in the South, I think LA, to farm and raise for food. Turns out people couldn't get used to the idea of eating a rodent and some of the farming operations went bust and the Nutria were let go or escaped.

It is pretty good though and it's good meat. I've eaten a slug before, not sure if that counts towards "critters" lol.

I wouldn't try any kind of cat or anything that resembles a dog. Nor a rat or mouse type critter, or beaver/skunk type! I guess the is a lot I wouldn't eat! (Unless I had to to servive).
From The "Woods"
Bear
Rattle Snake
Rabbit
Boar

From A Restraunt
Gator
Rattle Snake

The bear was pretty greasy and tuff, snake was ok both times, rabbit was like chicken, and boar was really tuff and tasted like any othe pig product...which I do not like!

I ate coyote backstrap. It actually tasted pretty good. We just pan fried it with salt and pepper. It was pretty tough, but if it were made into jerky or cooked in the crock pot I bet it would be great. It's a pretty dark meat, and I actually wouldn't mind having it again!

I have lots of squirrels here in my trees in N Portland, good think I don't own a .22 and suppressor................

Trismn,

I live in N Pdx as well and yes there are many squirrels in our area. A few people in my neighborhood think the squirrels are "cute" and feed them, which only increases their population and aggressiveness as they fight over territory.

Three were living in my roof just a few weeks ago...now, only one, thank to my gammo air riffle! :) 1000 fps, accurate, quiet (enough) and if my aim is true, the first shot is fatal.

Cheers,
DJM

I have eaten Lot of Rabbit, I think they are pretty good they are tough as **** but taste like stringy chicken. I have had coon Jerky its also not bad. My friend is from the south and he eats EVERYTHING! but he said he is not a fan of coyote...
As far as Rabbits having parasites I think that's only a real problem in the summer months.
Get um in the winter and early spring months and your good.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top