JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I know percussion caps and musket caps are similar. And I did get musket caps to work with my 50-cal Great Plains rifle using a musket cap nipple. My questions are what firearm normally or originally uses musket caps? Where do they fit in to the development of percussion caps in the 19th century? Did they precede percussion caps? Come after? Parallel development on two different continents?

Musket caps were historically used with military muskets and rifled muskets.
( Note there is a difference )
And some military percussion pistols.

Musket caps and percussion caps are roughly of the same time frame development...
That said the percussion cap came first in the mid to late 1820's...but didn't really catch on , till the mid to late 1830's.
The US military started getting into percussion muskets in the 1840's ....Rifled Muskets in the mid 1850's.
Andy

So I know percussion caps and musket caps are similar. And I did get musket caps to work with my 50-cal Great Plains rifle using a musket cap nipple. My questions are what firearm normally or originally uses musket caps? Where do they fit in to the development of percussion caps in the 19th century? Did they precede percussion caps? Come after? Parallel development on two different continents?
Back many moons ago, when I did civil war reenacting, (I was 16 at the time) I know we used them. I believe I used an 1861 springfield repro. My dad had an original CW musket that also used musket caps. I am not sure we know what model his is. I think its an old smoothbore from the 1840s, but was not any common model. Kind of an old Appalachian smoothbore, not from our family, but similar to the one his great grandfather owned.

Musket caps were for muskets and rifled muskets (as previously mentioned) percussion caps were for pistols and civilian guns. Musket caps were made that way because they are easier to handle during combat - less fumbling because they are larger.

Musket caps were for muskets and rifled muskets (as previously mentioned) percussion caps were for pistols and civilian guns. Musket caps were made that way because they are easier to handle during combat - less fumbling because they are larger.
That's why I like them too.
Much easier to handle in field conditions. And in the cold too.
$10 for a ampco musket nipple is cheap. And you can always switch back to your #11 anytime.

Musket caps were historically used with military muskets and rifled muskets.
( Note there is a difference )
And some military percussion pistols.

Musket caps and percussion caps are roughly of the same time frame development...
That said the percussion cap came first in the mid to late 1820's...but didn't really catch on , till the mid to late 1830's.
The US military started getting into percussion muskets in the 1840's ....Rifled Muskets in the mid 1850's.
Andy

Back many moons ago, when I did civil war reenacting, (I was 16 at the time) I know we used them. I believe I used an 1861 springfield repro. My dad had an original CW musket that also used musket caps. I am not sure we know what model his is. I think its an old smoothbore from the 1840s, but was not any common model. Kind of an old Appalachian smoothbore, not from our family, but similar to the one his great grandfather owned.

Wait a minute….. I'm confused, according to all the anti-gunners, only the 2A uses musket caps!

:s0153:

Wait a minute….. I'm confused, according to all the anti-gunners, only the 2A uses musket caps!

:s0153:
Ha !
Which only goes to show what they "know"....
Since the percussion system came out in the 1820's...and the 2nd Amendment was ratified in 1791...
Long before the percussion cap ... :D
However I am sure that there are plenty of anti-gunners who think that we must be limited to the firearms of the time that the 2nd Amendment was written.

That said...I know your post here is tongue in cheek...just as long as its your cheek...:eek: :D
Andy

Ha !
Which only goes to show what they "know"....
Since the percussion system came out in the 1820's...and the 2nd Amendment was ratified in 1791...
Long before the percussion cap ... :D
However I am sure that there are plenty of anti-gunners who think that we must be limited to the firearms of the time that the 2nd Amendment was written.

That said...I know your post here is tongue in cheek...just as long as its your cheek...:eek: :D
Andy

Shhhhh….. stop talking, you're ruining it.

:s0131:

glad I found this thread !
i''m about to go shoot my civil war Maynard, and the nipple it has accepts a percussion cap, will a musket cap also fit that nipple ,or is the dia. bigger on musket cap nipples ?

for those interested in the old CW guns I just found S and S firearms,Glendale, NY, and wow ,they have parts I need !

maynard 1.JPG maynard 4.JPG

i''m about to go shoot my civil war Maynard, and the nipple it has accepts a percussion cap, will a musket cap also fit that nipple ,or is the dia. bigger on musket cap nipples ?

for those interested in the old CW guns I just found S and S firearms,Glendale, NY, and wow ,they have parts I need !

Musket caps are much bigger, both in diameter and length. They also have the "top hat" wings as compared to percussion caps. You'll also have to check the hammer face cup for clearance. Only way would be to grab a musket cap and find out fr yourself.

O

"Only way would be to grab a musket cap and find out fr yourself."
oh if only I could ,Florence has none, but a bud is going to eugene today and hopes to score a hundred or two.
good idea to check the hammer cup, thanks !

Musket caps are larger and require a nipple that's larger in diameter. Musket nipples also tend to have a different length, so the geometry of the lock is such that the hammer does not hit the cap square. It requires careful filing of the nipple to get a square impact. It can be done, I got it to work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top