JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's one thing you (OP) forgot about. Doesn't the DA have to tell the grand jury what crime Mr. Jones is being charged with?

If a shooting is justified, there is no law/statute that I know of that prohibits the use of reloaded ammunition.

The DA has nothing to present to the grand jury for consideration.

I don't reload... yet.

I think most factory brand ammo is reliable, assuming you test it in your carry gun first. We can argue all day about "killer loads" or what if scenarios, but I think a valid point can be made that if you do have to defend yourself in the courtroom against a charge, hiring a sensible, skilled, and experienced lawyer is what will make the difference rather than the kind of cartridges you decided to loaded your magazine with.

But hey... just in case you wanted to watch some ammo tests out of a typical carry gun...

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 40 S&W Short Barrel Ammo Gel Test (HD) - YouTube

Oh yesss, and other such grand stories.

Yup, Shoot a speeding car in the grill with a "magnum anything" and the hood will blow off in a spectacular fireball with the car flipping over in mid air before exploding into pieces.

Hollywood is alive and well, sadly too many folks believe all the hype, even jurors.

SR

I think Massad Ayoob made a career out of it.. chicken littleing all but essentially what cops carry. Me, I generally carry high performance factory of various vintages but certainly wouldn't and don't feel undergunned with solid lead SWC's in either revolver or semi.

I defer to the original manstopper, it worked a hundred years ago and still works today. I always have carried 230 grain factory ball ammo (WWB mostly) in my 45. Currently at 16 rounds capacity, in no way do I fell outgunned (FNP). I have always considered the 9mm with any bullet rather a puny cartridge, I would choose a 38 special over a 9mm. Go ahead trot out all the ballistic gel tests, and the popular conception by a few of you that the 9mm is the penultimate round, I just don't buy it.

give me a good old 45 any day of the week

BTW I didn't respond to the OP because it's just ridiculous.

Training and discipline on when to use deadly force and when not to are the most important components in lawful application of deadly force. An effective round does not make a deadly weapon a deadlier weapon under the law. Further, it does not impart intent. In arguing a justified use of force you concede your intent and instead argue your actions are legally justified. If you carry a firearm to defend yourself, be familiar with its operation and regularly consider what conditions would lead to its use. Classes are useful as are discussions here. The first person defender series on you tube presents some interesting scenarios and reactions.

Can anyone post a CREDIBLE link to where this has ever been successfully used to convict someone? Because if not, this argument is moot.

Massad Ayoob had some experience along this line and did write about it in one article. I don't have time to go through the 35 GB file of his old articles but there is one there and the person was convicted because he had handloads in the handgun that his wife committed suicide with.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Massad Ayoob had some experience along this line and did write about it in one article. I don't have time to go through the 35 GB file of his old articles but there is one there and the person was convicted because he had handloads in the handgun that his wife committed suicide with.

Deen
In the case you're referring to, the defendant claimed that his wife was going to shoot herself. He tried to grab the gun to stop her and in the struggle, it went off, killing her. The prosecution based their case in part on the fact that if the pistol was shot (reloaded, not factory round) in a struggle within her reach, it would have left GSR on her. Because they couldn't find any GS residue on her, he was tried for murder. Apparently, the round fired was a reload with a light charge.

As I understand it, Ayoob believes that if the pistol had factory ammo (and assuming the event actually happened the way the defendant claims it did...), it would have left GSR on her and the defendant would have been able to prove his innocence. His conclusion discounts the possibility that the defendant was found guilty because he was actually, guilty...

This is different than a DA going after someone for using 'killer' 'more deadly than just regular deadly' handloads. A shooting is justified or it isn't. Again, there is no law against using reloads. Again, the DA does not have anything to charge the shooter with. Again, with no charge, there is nothing to present to the grand jury. With no indictment from the grand jury, there is no court case.

interesting, mature response. Ball ammo does work, even in 9mm. Try shooting yourself in the head, if you are using a 9mm it may take more than one try. Keep at it, you'll see what I mean.
Yea, real mature.. shoot yourself in your own head why don't you and I find it offensive that you'd offer to shoot me.. "are you volunteering?".
Anyway, good luck shooting a deer in the head with that hardball.

I have always considered the 9mm with any bullet rather a puny cartridge, I would choose a 38 special over a 9mm. Go ahead trot out all the ballistic gel tests, and the popular conception by a few of you that the 9mm is the penultimate round, I just don't buy it.

give me a good old 45 any day of the week

BTW I didn't respond to the OP because it's just ridiculous.

the autoloader I carry makes your 45 look like a spit wad shooter. I wouldn't carry a sissy round like that even if I didn't have anything else......don't try to show me ballistic tests or tell me about tradition, I just don't buy it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top